Codex Sages : Gameplay questions

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Sio'are
Tindalos Team

Codex Sages : Gameplay questions

Postby Sio'are » 03 May 2016, 14:24

GAMEPLAY CLARIFICATION THREAD

The other Game Designers and I will do our best to answer any questions you might have about the Gameplay. Any misunderstanding and mystery within the gameplay will be enligtened, and the explanations might be added to the game afterwards.

So go ahead, shoot your questions, but remember, this thread is strictly directed toward answering your game mechanics questions, I'll then advise you to keep it clean and easy to read. Commenting, as long as it is efficient, is recommended if the doubt still clouds your mind.

Kauyon is the parent of safety, friends.

For the Compilation of answers and explanations, go to the FAQ Thread here :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15924&p=50596#p50596
Last edited by Sio'are on 15 June 2016, 14:29, edited 3 times in total.

Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: Codex Sages : Gameplay questions

Postby Uksharazad87 » 03 May 2016, 14:27

Hello Xenos.

Thank you for this opportunity :D

How does the the +three Turrets Upgrade work. Like, what is the literal difference the three turrets make?

Sio'are
Tindalos Team

Postby Sio'are » 03 May 2016, 14:50

CLARIFICATION OF THE CLOSE DEFENCE SYSTEM TURRETS AND AFFILIATED UPGRADE

Uksharazad87 wrote:Hello Xenos.

How does the the +three Turrets Upgrade work. Like, what is the literal difference the three turrets make?

The Close defence system is composed of several tiny turrets used to shoot down small targets They have two uses :

1) They can shoot down ordnance squadrons and torpedoes :

Each of these targets have a chance to be shot down (35% in general, otherwise it is precised in the tooltip of the target.) by each turret (Torpedoes are destroyed while squadrons lose 1 craft). with that in mind, 3 turrets gives your ship 3 additional chances to shoot down incoming targets.

Example :
A bomber run comes to my Retribution, which has 18 turrets. Once in range, the squadron will have to successfully pass 18 tests at 65% to reach the target unharmed (since they have 35% chances to be shot down). Each test failed results in a craft of the squadron destroyed, chosen randomly.

If the ship had the additionnal turrets, each target would have to pass 21 tests instead.

Caution :
Torpedoes, as they are smaller, have a reduced chance to be shot down.
The Dodge chances given by the Squadron leader Crew Member, and already present on Eldar crafts and torpedoes, is a second test the target has to pass if they are hit.

Example :
A Bomber Squadron with a Level 3 Squadron Leader misses its test to survive. It has to make another test at 30%. If it succeed, it ignores the damage and no craft is lost. An Eldar squadron in the same situation will then have 60% chances to ignore the hit (Level 3 Squadron Leader + the basic Dodge of Eldar ships).

2) They can shoot down Boarding Shuttles :

When a ship is assaulted throught the "Boarding Action" skill, each turret still active raises the Troop Value of the ship by 1. It then grants you a +3 bonus on your Troop Value which is equal to a level in the Ratings (or faction equivalent) crew member.

Remember: every 100 Hull point lost, a Turret is lost as well. Which means that with 3 additionnal turrets, you can lose 300 hull points and still have just as much turrets as you normally would without the upgrade !

I hope this has been enlightening, Gue'la.
Last edited by Sio'are on 04 May 2016, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 03 May 2016, 14:54

Do ship explosions on destruction damage ships consistently or at all? or is it random if the explosion deals damage?
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

randuir

Postby randuir » 03 May 2016, 14:54

Commander, I hop you can enlighten us on the exact effect of the accuracy increasing upgrade. The tooltip lists it simply as increasing accuracy of macro-cannons at ranges beyond 6k, but I don't think the exact increase has ever been given.

-Shas'el Vior'La Randuir

Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Uksharazad87 » 03 May 2016, 14:55

Sio'are wrote:
Uksharazad87 wrote:Hello Xenos.

The Close defence system is composed of several tiny turrets used to shoot down small targets They have two uses :

1) They can shoot down ordnances and torpedoes :

Each of these targets have a chance to be shot down (35% in general, otherwise it is precised in the tooltip of the target.) by each turret. They then pass a test to see if they are shot down. with that in mind, 3 turrets gives your ship 3 additional chances to shoot down incoming targets.

Example :
A bomber run comes to my Retribution, which has 18 turrets. Once in range, each attack craft will have to successfully pass 18 tests at 65% to survive (since they have 35% chances to be shot down).

If the ship had the additionnal turrets, each target would have to pass 21 tests instead.

Caution :
Torpedoes, as they are smaller, have a reduced chance to be shot down.
The Dodge chances given by the Squadron leader Crew Member, and already present on Eldar crafts and torpedoes, is a second test the target has to pass if they are hit.

Example :
A Fighter with a Level 3 Squadron Leader misses its test to survive. He has to make another test at 30%. If he succeed, he ignores the damage. An Eldar Fighter in the same situation will then have 60% chances to ignore the hit.

2) They can shoot down Boarding Shuttles :

When a ship is assaulted throught the "Boarding Action" skill, each turret still active raises the Troop Value of the ship by 1. It then grants you a +3 bonus on your Troop Value.

Remember: every 100 Hull point lost, a Turret is lost as well. Which means that with 3 additionnal turrets, you can lose 300 hull points and still have just as much turrets as you normally would without the upgrade !

I hope this has been enlightening, Gue'la.

As enlightening, precise and "to the point". Completely ignoring the fact you've answered my question perfectly.

I cannot Accept this information from a Xenos.

I will however, in return bestow grandfathers touch on you. Its not soooo bad. just ignore the rotting bits.

Sio'are
Tindalos Team

Postby Sio'are » 03 May 2016, 15:07

EXPLOSION CHANCES OF A SHIP DESTROYED

Bludfist wrote:Do ship explosions on destruction damage ships consistently or at all? or is it random if the explosion deals damage?

Ah, I can see why a green-skinned Be'gel would be interested in explosions. The explosions happening after the loss of a vessel is randomly generated, to simulate the randomness of the core generator overloading, or the vessel just becoming an empty, crushed husk in the void of Space.

The transport ships, however, do always explode, as they are fragile and prone to malfunction... And that also dissuade a bit the Ramming strategy.

PRECISIONS ON THE UPGRADE TARGETING MATRIX (AND FACTION EQUIVALENTS)

randuir wrote:Commander, I hop you can enlighten us on the exact effect of the accuracy increasing upgrade. The tooltip lists it simply as increasing accuracy of macro-cannons at ranges beyond 6k, but I don't think the exact increase has ever been given.

-Shas'el Vior'La Randuir

Ah, a soldier of the greater good! My rank, however, isn't Shas'o, the commander, but Kor'o. Or Admiral, for the Gue'la. Your mistake is already forgiven, and forgotten. Your question allows me to dig up my old post talking about the same thing :

Targeting matrix and its factions equivalents have the following effect : It reduces by 50% the accuracy penalty on Macro-Weapons if they fire above 6k.

Now, if it's still a bit cloudy to you, here is how it works :

(Taking Imperial/Chaos Accuracy as an example)
Imperial navy get a 20% penalty for each slice of 3k units distance to its Macro-Weapons' accuracy. It then looks like that :

0k: 100%
3k: 80%
6k: 60%
9k: 40%
12k: 20%
15k: 0%

So, with the upgrade, your penalty, which is 20% for each range, will switch to -10% per range (Above6k) instead. The Accuracy will then be:

0k: 100%
3k: 80%
6k: 60%
9k: 50%
12k: 40%
15k: 30%

As you can see, it greatly boosts your precision at great distance, so prepare your Plasma Batteries accordingly !

(P.S: It -of course- work better with Orks, which have bigger penalties... If you can get their weapons to fire above 6k, that is.)
Last edited by Sio'are on 03 May 2016, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

MadDemiurg

Postby MadDemiurg » 03 May 2016, 15:14

Can you please clarify the stacking of accuracy penalties?

For instance, macro cannon is firing with 80% accuracy at an Eldar ship with max holofields (-50%) brace for impact (-20%) void predator (-20%) in an asteroid field (-50%). How would all this stuff stack? Are modifiers additive or multiplicative? If some are additive, and some are multiplicative, which ones and in what order they would apply? Thanks!

Marwynn

Postby Marwynn » 03 May 2016, 15:23

What exactly does setting targeting priority and subsystems do? I see my ships preferring to shoot at a target with a higher priority, but the subsystem grants bonus to the critical chance?

Waldmenschen

Postby Waldmenschen » 03 May 2016, 15:34

Hello,

does the Master Gunner for Eldar increase the Crit Chance of Pulsars too?
Or more to the Point: Do Pulsars count as Lances?

Thanks in Advance & Greetings
There is nothing better that a man can do than lay down his life in the service of the Emperor.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”