To smurf or not to smurf?

Discuss the Space Marine fleet. There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.
Larkis

To smurf or not to smurf?

Postby Larkis » 27 April 2016, 15:34

A hard question we should talk about?

If space marine chapters will work as favours? Should there be Smurfmarines in there?

Contra:
You maybe would be forced to play smurf marines, cause there get there lore-accurate "we win always"-Effect, which let them autowin every match without losses.

Pro:
You are able to bash Smurfmarines over and over again hunt them, kill them, torture them in every possible way.

What do you think?

If somebody dont know about smurfmarines:

Deuzerre

Re: To smurf or not to smurf?

Postby Deuzerre » 27 April 2016, 15:39

Smurfs and Imperial fists are pretty much the same, and it seems the Imperial fists are favoured (No pun intended) from the campaign.

I'd love to have:

Imperial Fists with upgrades linked to hating weakness and repairing the ships
Raven guards with upgrades linked to stealth and lightning strikes
Salamanders related to causing fire criticals even on failed boardings
blood angels / Space wolves for lots of boarding actions
Dark angels with deathwing strikes
White scars about mobility
"Common sense isn't as common as the name would imply"

Deidryt

Postby Deidryt » 27 April 2016, 15:41

Just as long as you don't do Angry Marines...

wowu56

Postby wowu56 » 27 April 2016, 15:50

Smurf would probably be the vanilla non-favour standard colour scheme for SM fleet, considering it's the model 'codex astartes fleet' for most second founding chapter.
Those more bizarre first founding chapter could be the favours, my guess are Imperial Fist (pretty much confirmed), Space Wolf, Black Templar and Dark Angel.

Beernchips

Postby Beernchips » 27 April 2016, 16:01

I think unfavored will be Imperial FIsts.
I think it couldbe good to have other chapters than Ultras because they have various gameplays when UM are the "standard" one so it don t really fit with favors adding specific bonuses

Some ideas I had

Salamanders
Patience : Brace for impact last 10 seconds more and give +30 armor instead of +20
Return fire : Deals +10% increase damage if the enemy is at less than 3k range

White Scars
Ride the storm : AAF and HET are 25% more effective
Blitz : 150 sec CD. The targeted enemy ship will suffer 20% increased damage for 20 seconds. All LS and boarding actions have 10% more chance to suceed

Dark Angels
Hunt the Fallen : 150 sec CD. Identify the targetted enemy and keep him revealed for 20 sec. All LS and boarding from a Dark Angel favored ship have +1 action against the marked ship
Deathwing : give +1 action to all LS

Space Wolves :
Blood Claws : +2 boarding actions
Long Fangs Saga : 150 sec CD. For 15 secs, the ship is immune to any enemy targetted effect. Also the ship have +10% accuracy
Repent, for tomorrow you die

Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Uksharazad87 » 27 April 2016, 16:20

Imperial Fists Were active in the gothic sector en involved HEAVILY during the closing actions of the crusade. it will be highly unlikely to NOT see Imperial fists as the DLC chapter.

Favors are more than likley going to be different companies.

EG: close combat buffing favour = 1st company terminators etc etc

Flyingrhinoman

Postby Flyingrhinoman » 27 April 2016, 17:05

While I understand the animosity toward Smurfs I feel they get a bad rep for some thing that are truly silly but really they are not that bad. That being said I feel as if any chapter would do well here but personally I think the black Templars are the best choice as a chapter that exclusively operates from ships. They don't have a fortress-monastery even. The black Templars also allow a cannon reason for favors to be other chapters as they are one of a few organizations in the entire Imperium that believes in cooperation at all times.

On the other hand I would love the space wolves to be the chapter because they have a greater ship variety then most Chapters as the just take ships when they feel like it so their fleet is a weird mishmash of different ships but I think that the chapter is a little to niche to be the main force I feel
For those who challenge the might of the Imperium I laugh at you as you desperately try to damage the armored prow while I watch you scrabble to doge my glorious swarm of torpedoes. Eldar please run away

Auzor

Postby Auzor » 27 April 2016, 18:34

I hope they take a completely different direction.

Pick a chapter (hi ship painter, or a list of pre-selected ones, definitely including the "classic" legion-chapters),
and then assign your ship to the favor of a company captain.

1st company: most veteran, assaulty etc; definitely terminator lightning strike
2nd company: "sternguard veteran" things;
8-9th devastator company favor,
a tactical/scout company with improved order things;

Alternatively:
-Librarian favor,
-Chaplain favor,
-Honour guard,
- ?

You get the idea;
This would allow a *chapter fleet* to be fielded, instead of "1 dark angel ship, 3 space wolves, and a raven guard have just formed into a fleet". Of course, the animators then need to decide what "librarian favor" would look like. But tbh: I think "different paintjob" is on the level of "red ones go fasta"..

A different way to do it: we know the gothic sector does not include every space marine chapter; pick the most renown chapter that was in the gothic sector, and use their second/.. founding chapters as "favors"..

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 27 April 2016, 19:55

Flyingrhinoman wrote:While I understand the animosity toward Smurfs I feel they get a bad rep for some thing that are truly silly but really they are not that bad. That being said I feel as if any chapter would do well here but personally I think the black Templars are the best choice as a chapter that exclusively operates from ships. They don't have a fortress-monastery even. The black Templars also allow a cannon reason for favors to be other chapters as they are one of a few organizations in the entire Imperium that believes in cooperation at all times.

On the other hand I would love the space wolves to be the chapter because they have a greater ship variety then most Chapters as the just take ships when they feel like it so their fleet is a weird mishmash of different ships but I think that the chapter is a little to niche to be the main force I feel

most of the animosity is because it's cool to hate on them cause of Matt Ward, even though that codex is from two editions ago. seriously it's like hating on chaos for their 3.5 edition 'dex. as someone who plays Ultramarines,it gets tiresome. One of the big things these people bitch about is how many Ultramarines special characters are in the codex, how many of these people realize that Codex Space Marines used to be "Codex Ultramarines"? http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_ ... nd_Edition)

now getting back on topic, my guess is Space Marines will come out with the fleet painter so we'll get access to just about any chapter we could wish for.

in terms of the favors I'm gonna guess we'll get Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels and Blood Angels. these 4 chapters are what are refered to as "the big 4" and tend to get the lion's share of the attention

Deuzerre

Postby Deuzerre » 27 April 2016, 20:20

The reason why I dislike Ultramarines is because... They're boring and over-represented.

It's annoying to always be shoved the smurfs to the face when you're told about space marines, especially when there are much more likeable/interesting chapers all around. And, admittedly, some Very boring ones too (Blood angels. Yay. Let's have good guys that are still maniacs because it's grimdark)
"Common sense isn't as common as the name would imply"

Return to “Adeptus Astartes”