Questionable Changes from the Table Top Tau?

General discussion regarding the Tau Empire beta.
Phaggamemnon

Questionable Changes from the Table Top Tau?

Postby Phaggamemnon » 14 September 2016, 20:22

Now granted it's been a LONG time since I've played BFG on the table top but some of the changes they made to Tau for the game I am curious about. (Forgive me if I remember)

In the table top Ion Cannons = Lance and Rail Guns = Macro batteries more or less however it seems opposite in this game?
It was explain that Ion Cannons without the restriction of the atmosphere saw there true power in space which is why they were more powerful in space vs rail guns on the ground.

Also the Tau never had extra range guns their big strength was they could bring all their weapons into their forward arc and that every broadside mounted weapon also included at least half the front arc.

The homing torpedoes did work different I can understand why they were modified for the game I don't understand why the rate of fire was increased but damage dropped? On table top they did the same damage as imperial torpedoes and had the same reload time.

Tau also don't use the warp so their ships shouldn't be able to get lost in it either lol.

Now I love what you've done with the Tau allies great work shame I didn't get more time with beta. I do have some game play issues. The "Computer BFG Tau" are supposed to be good at long range yet their sensors are so limited? (I know there are upgrades etc but these seems FORCED to make them work as intended?)

Also these new "Torpedoes" don't work right with Autofire enabled. You're ship will just fire them randomly and often hit another ship in your own fleet. I think they should aim like normal torpedoes where they just come out and you don't have to click on a ship to target but I could also see this being a problem since they are homing. at any rate this needs some tweaking.

The Demiurg on the Table Top that cutting/mining beam was DEVASTATING in game play it's just Meh at best.

I am sure you know about the graphic bugs etc.. but good job keep up the good work. I am curious to see what answers you may have for these changes etc.

Beernchips

Re: Questionable Changes from the Table Top Tau?

Postby Beernchips » 14 September 2016, 20:33

Ions are lances and Railguns macros : no changes from TT
Tau don thave extra range, they have many weapons with 6 to 9k base range like in TT it was 30-45cm (in game 3k range is same as 15 cm in TT)
Chaos have best range like it was in TT. IN / Eldar have inferior range like in TT

Almost all weapons were created with the following rule : 1dps in game = 1 firepower in TT.
So Tau have 3 DPS homing for LC / 5 dps for Cruiser and i don t remember for the Custodian. Didn t checked if it same firepower than in TT.
The main difference is torpedoes have armor piercing when tau missiles don t have

Demiurg cutting beam is strong 60dmg/second IF you can get charges : no asteroid field on your path = no beam available
Repent, for tomorrow you die

Sir A Harris

Postby Sir A Harris » 14 September 2016, 21:02

don't forget grav hooks, TT you choose whether or not to attach ships to them, but in this you are forced to take them, racking up the price of ships

Nuadhu

Postby Nuadhu » 14 September 2016, 23:28

My Tau get list in deep space not the watp, which is lore accurate I think. Them making short skips along the space between the warp and realspace.
War is my master, death my mistress.

anguloke
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby anguloke » 15 September 2016, 08:52

Phaggamemnon wrote:
Also the Tau never had extra range guns their big strength was they could bring all their weapons into their forward arc and that every broadside mounted weapon also included at least half the front arc.

Not exactly extra range, as most of their range bonuses every one has access to, with a few exceptions.

Phaggamemnon wrote:Tau also don't use the warp so their ships shouldn't be able to get lost in it either lol.

One, it would be a balance issue without it. And who says they can't get thrown off course in their warp skimming jumps? They aren't actually lost "in the warp". And the tool tip explains they aren't lost in the warp.

In the table top Ion Cannons = Lance and Rail Guns = Macro batteries more or less however it seems opposite in this game?
I don't think they are reversed. Not that I've notice, especially against Eldar.

On table top they did the same damage as imperial torpedoes and had the same reload time.

That would be another balance issue.
Last edited by anguloke on 16 September 2016, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
What is your Duty? To serve Emperor’s Will.
What is Emperor’s Will? That we fight and die.
What is Death? It is our duty.
What is your Duty? …

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 15 September 2016, 11:19

if tau missiles did the same dmg and had armour pen like imp torps they would be stupidly broken, and remove Imp navys main strength

Kurnous

Postby Kurnous » 15 September 2016, 14:58

Biggest one for me is that Tau have 2 launch bays and not one as they technically should.

I would change them to 1 bay BUT have each bomber wave with 2 Manta in it - so it does not cripple their damage output and also does not make the XV ?? Battlesuit upgrade useless but at the same time they do not have quite a much defense as they do now.

As it is Tau Protectors are shooty as hell + have Torps + have 2 launch bays...just too much firepower and flexibility.

andreysgex

Questionable Changes from the Table Top Tau

Postby andreysgex » 18 June 2018, 21:52

Its the top result for RPOL or Roleplay Online in Google. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Return to “Beta Discussion”