Lazy Model Design

General discussion regarding the Tau Empire beta.
LittleBlueMan

Lazy Model Design

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 17:21

Guys...what else is there to say. You put the tabletop hammerhead turret options on your kilometer long space ships. I'm speaking of the Ion Cannons and Railguns. Also there are some gundrones there too. What the heck Tindalos. Please tell me you're changing this. Imagine the navy having predator lascannon turrets...It's so out of place it hurts. Who thought this was a good idea. This is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 17:29

LittleBlueMan wrote:Guys...what else is there to say. You put the tabletop hammerhead turret options on your kilometer long space ships. I'm speaking of the Ion Cannons and Railguns. Also there are some gundrones there too. What the heck Tindalos. Please tell me you're changing this. Imagine the navy having predator lascannon turrets...It's so out of place it hurts. Who thought this was a good idea. This is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

I think its fine.

Tau don't really have dedicated space-based weaponry like most other factions, up-scaled versions of land weapons sees perfectly reasonable to me. They would be perfectly functional if that's a concern.

I mean, technically the IN weapons are just up-scaled versions of weapons on the ground.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 09 September 2016, 17:39

All my BFG rulebooks state the Tau as using up scaled ground weapons on ships. So far they seem pretty on point to me
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

LittleBlueMan

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 18:23

Edited previous post.

I've got two posts now saying this is okay because the weapons are "upscaled ground versions".

Let's be clear about what is happening here. The devs have taken the weapon from a tank, a weapon that is about 10 feet long, right, and put it on a ship that is over a kilometer long. It's not aesthetically similar, it's IDENTICAL. Lances work like lascannons, so let's just put a predator sponson on a ship. Right? No, there would be outcry.

Caliger, Tau DO have dedicated space based weaponry.

Now, for the upscaling argument...IN weapons are "upscaled" versions of their ground weapons too. Lances are lascannons, batteries are a various assortment of plasma weapons, railguns, missiles, etc. Would you all be okay if the turrets on the battleships were just predator turrets? No, you'd be complaining like crazy.

It's absurd. If gw released a kit of these ships, and they just had the EXACT SAME PIECE from the tanks, it would be considered lazy. It would be lazy. IT IS LAZY. I'm so baffled.

Look at it. It's the same with the railguns. I'm supposed to believe these ships are massive and hey, there's that piece I've painted up for my tabletop army...on a spaceship ten thousand times its size.
Last edited by LittleBlueMan on 09 September 2016, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.

chrischris69

Postby chrischris69 » 09 September 2016, 18:32

Taking artistic cues from the land based weaponry is a great first step, but these weapons have been literally copy and pasted from the land vehicles. I'm surprised there isn't a Skyray launcher for the torpedoes.

It's disappointing.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 18:32

LittleBlueMan wrote:Right, so why not just put engines on a big version of a Leman Russ. My point is that it looks silly as hell. It also doesn't make any sense. It's like putting a giant bolter on a ship. Not a weapon that functions like a bolter, an actual hand gun.

Also Tau DO have dedicated space based weaponry. It's on all their ships.

I get the point, and it would be silly in the Imperial context, but tau weaponry looking silly in this case is purely subjective.
The weapon systems for the tau have already been upscale with their battle suites.

I'm of course referring to the Riptide as my prime example given its a larger battlesuit with weapons that look identical to those on smaller suits:
Just a big burst cannon and a big ion cannon.

So I see absolutely nothing wrong with their ships just having similar looking weapons which are just up-scaled.
The Tau are the one exception to where that is completely acceptable and lore-friendly, since they are a very new player in the naval game.
-Imperial Navy

BFG Wiki Founding Member

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 09 September 2016, 18:35

LittleBlueMan wrote:Edited previous post.

I've got two posts now saying this is okay because the weapons are "upscaled ground versions".

Let's be clear about what is happening here. The devs have taken the weapon from a tank, a weapon that is about 10 feet long, right, and put it on a ship that is over a kilometer long. It's not aesthetically similar, it's IDENTICAL. Lances work like lascannons, so let's just put a predator sponson on a ship. Right? No, there would be outcry.

Caliger, Tau DO have dedicated space based weaponry.

Now, for the upscaling argument...IN weapons are "upscaled" versions of their ground weapons too. Lances are lascannons, batteries are a various assortment of plasma weapons, railguns, missiles, etc. Would you all be okay if the turrets on the battleships were just predator turrets? No, you'd complaining like crazy.

It's absurd. If gw released a kit of these ships, and they just had the EXACT SAME PIECE from the tanks, it would be considered lazy. It would be lazy. IT IS LAZY. I'm so baffled. Image

Look at it. It's the same with the railguns. I'm supposed to believe these ships are massive and hey, there's that piece I've painted up for my tabletop army...on a spaceship ten thousand times its size.

I'd complain if macrobattery broadsides were replaced with turrets, but Tau make heavy use of turrets. I don't think I understand your issue. Everything about them looks and feels true to their models, rules, and lore. How is putting turrets on a ship that uses turrets bad/lazy?

Edit: lances look like giant las-cannons. Macrocannons look like giant versions of whatever weapon they are. The Imperium, Orks, and Chaos use a wide range of weapons, all lovingly referred to as macrobattery (see big guns). Tau and Eldar are less all over the place with armaments; thus names and styles are similar between infantry portable, tank scale, and starship scale.
Last edited by malcontent333 on 09 September 2016, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

LittleBlueMan

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 18:37

Caliger...I just disagree so completely. They took the model from tabletop, and put it on a spaceship. There's a reason to have aesthetic themes, but if IN ships were just kitbashed out of Leman Russ parts they would look like crap. It would be a let down.

---Edit---
Getting a screenshot to show my point.

chrischris69

Postby chrischris69 » 09 September 2016, 18:39

So I see absolutely nothing wrong with their ships just having similar looking weapons which are just up-scaled.

The weapons on that Riptide are clearly inspired from their smaller cousins and share design cues while clearly being different.

The issue here I think is that these weapon systems on the Tau warships are a literal copy and paste from the tank weaponry. They're not styled similarly, it's the same geometry. It would look silly if you slapped a 5x scale Burst cannon on a Riptide and it looks silly here.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 18:42

Yeah.
It's a valid point being levelled against me, but I just don't see the need in changing them.
They look great and completely believable, don't see any point in changing them and it's perfectly justifiable lore-wise.
-Imperial Navy

BFG Wiki Founding Member

Return to “Beta Discussion”