Resolution Failure

We'll help you troubleshoot issues with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
ragewaar

Resolution Failure

Postby ragewaar » 12 August 2016, 08:07

Greetings Support,

Could I please have some technical troubleshooting support regarding an issue which has cropped up since I last played this game? I played it in Beta and did not have the following issue.

Issue: The game automatically sets the screen resolution to 3620 x 2036 after the intro movies have played and the splash screen appears. I get thrown to the desktop however the game is still running in the background, albeit minimized. If I open (open, not launch again) the game from the task bar, I do see the main menu, but there are several problems.
1. My screen resolution on my monitor is actually 2560 x 1440, which means half the game is off the screen, including some buttons of the main menu.
2. There is a flicker every 1/4 of a second that continuously occurs. The entire screen appears to do a redraw. It looks similar to how some games handle alt-tabbing, where the screen is fully refreshed after the graphics engine kicks in. Unfortunately this process never stops.
3. The flickering resets the mouse curser to the middle of the screen. With the mouse being reset to the centre of the screen all of the time, I cannot actually change any graphics settings in the game to correct any issues.

I read through about six pages of this Technical Support forum and have conducted the following in order to see if I can get the game going again:
• Deleted my configuration files from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\BattleFleetGothic\Saved\Config
• Uninstalled my entire BFG:A steam installation and deleted the BFG:A AppData directory. I spent some internet quota re-downloading the entire game afresh.
• Manually added the 'FullScreenMode=1' argument to the GameUserSettings.ini file.
• Manually set the resolution to a lower resolution in the GameUserSettings.ini and Game.ini file.
• Set the 'Read-Only' attribute to the GameUserSettings.ini file. *Interestingly the settings were not overridden by the game, but the game defaulted back to 3620 x 2036 anyway.

And after all that I still cannot get the game to work. Weird since it was fine in the Beta.

Looking about for things that may cause the issue, I have short list which I cannot further investigate:
• My Dynamic Super Resolution support for my monitor is the very same 3620 x 2036, so maybe the game is trying to maximize the resolution all of the time, instead of taking the configuration file?
• I do have a HTC Vive. I have completely disconnected it from the system in case it was causing an issue.
• I do use Gsync where possible. (Not that I can enable Vsync from the game menu at the moment.)

My PC is currently:
• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 14393
• Intel Core i7-6700K
• Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
• 16 GB Ram (2 sticks DDR4 in Duel Channel)
• Asus Sabertooth Z170S for the Motherboard

So far in my current long list of games I play, this one game is the only one causing me any grief. If I could get some prompt technical support, that would be fantastic.

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Re: Resolution Failure

Postby Focus_Jolan » 12 August 2016, 08:52

Hi ragewaar,

Do you have only 1 monitor or 2 monitor with a soft like Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround?
What's the native resolution of your screen(s)?

Can you try to replace your Game.ini and your GameUserSettings.ini by mine? (In attachments)

Thank you.
Attachments
Config.rar
(703 Bytes) Downloaded 423 times
Jolan - Focus Team

ragewaar

Postby ragewaar » 12 August 2016, 09:26

Heya,

My monitor is an Asus PG278Q (Descriptive - I know). Its a 2560 x 1440 monitor, Gsync capable. I have only the single display connected.

I'll override my files with the ones you supplied and post back!

ragewaar

Postby ragewaar » 12 August 2016, 09:31

Those configuration files fixed me!

The game launched into 1920 x 1080 Windowed Fullscreen. I was able to set my native res at Fullscreen - no screen refreshing. I launched into a custom game and the game is behaving correctly.

Thanks for your support!

Is there anything else you want me to test/collect for you to further investigate?

Edit: To say thanks!

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Postby Focus_Jolan » 12 August 2016, 09:50

I'm glad to hear that! :)

No more test ;) Thank you.

Enjoy!
Jolan - Focus Team

Return to “Technical Support”