Orks vs. kiting Chaos

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
TheMaster42

Orks vs. kiting Chaos

Postby TheMaster42 » 03 April 2016, 00:53

So wanted to pick up Orks after the patch and hitting 8 with my Chaos admiral. Wanted advice on fighting Chaos (particularly kiting Chaos) as Orks.

I'm using Light Kroozers with: Prow Mega-Kanon, Engine Speed, Taunt.
Terror Kroozers have: Prow Mega-Kanons, Broadside Mega-Kanons, Engine Speed, Taunt, Stasis Bomb.

Against a Chaos admiral that plays correctly, it seems completely impossible to catch up and kill the fleet. Under the right circumstances I can chain taunt and destroy or heavily damage a single ship, but I still can't catch up with the rest of the fleet. It takes too many taunts to get too little of his fleet down for me to swing the battle in my favor, generally.

It seems pretty obviously like a hard counter, but wanted to see if I was missing any options/strategies here.

Pile_O_Gunz

Re: Orks vs. kiting Chaos

Postby Pile_O_Gunz » 03 April 2016, 01:13

Orks are simply much slower they won't ever catch a chaos fleet that doesn't want to engage. That's why offensive assinate vs chaos as Orks is basically instant loss.

You can however hurt them as they run with the right upgrades. Ork zap cannons which already have large range can be given a range upgrade making it very long ranged. Combine that with the detection beacon and you can shoot the chaos trying to pick you off from miles away and also shoot them whilst chasing as they are prow mounted.
Obviously you sacrifice your close range effectiveness going Zap.

Other than that it's just crossing you fingers and skill spamming - A lucky stasis can obviously get you in range, mini warp jumps the Orks Evil suns favour tractor beam can drag a chaos ship towards you if you can get in range.

Zephyranthes

Postby Zephyranthes » 03 April 2016, 01:18

I would say use gas clouds as cover when possible, avoid detection, and maaaybe spread out? Like some of the better engagements i've seen were when I was closed in on multiple sides, if you are in a ball trying to chase after Chaos, you will never catch up.

Sagranda

Postby Sagranda » 03 April 2016, 01:26

Pincer tactics
Micro Warp Jumps
Stasis Bombs to control their movements (place them in front of their ships or behind to cut of their way to retreat)
Torpedoes to control their movement
Spamming the red button
I play Orkz to collect all those salty Imperial tears
#FeelsWaaaghBoss

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 03 April 2016, 01:27

MWJ + trakktor cannons
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Pile_O_Gunz

Postby Pile_O_Gunz » 03 April 2016, 01:37

Zephyranthes wrote:I would say use gas clouds as cover when possible, avoid detection, and maaaybe spread out? Like some of the better engagements i've seen were when I was closed in on multiple sides, if you are in a ball trying to chase after Chaos, you will never catch up.

Those sound like viable chaos tactics not so much Ork. Orks can't silent run, and they can't rapidly change direction. Would be interesting to see you pulling off stealthy ambushes and pincer movements with Ork.

TheMaster42

Postby TheMaster42 » 03 April 2016, 01:53

Bludfist wrote:MWJ + trakktor cannons

Starting to pick up Trakktors now, I'll try them out next.

Chaos can just MWJ as well. I feel like I get more overall distance from Taunt, if I use it right. Do you think Taunt's worse than MWJ?

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 03 April 2016, 01:57

TheMaster42 wrote:
Chaos can just MWJ as well. I feel like I get more overall distance from Taunt, if I use it right. Do you think Taunt's worse than MWJ?

taunt is a waste now of an upgrade slot, the main selling point of taunt was forcing people to come to you this can no longer happen under the current taunt

better to grab stasis bombs insted of taunt now
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Lucifronsun

Postby Lucifronsun » 03 April 2016, 02:28

TheMaster42 wrote:So wanted to pick up Orks after the patch and hitting 8 with my Chaos admiral. Wanted advice on fighting Chaos (particularly kiting Chaos) as Orks.

I'm a pretty good ork player, I can try my hand at recording a video or two for you to see how I deal with chaos myself. I've yet to encounter a chaos fleet that could keep away from me the whole game when I have my proper catching setup on.

I'm using Light Kroozers with: Prow Mega-Kanon, Engine Speed, Taunt.
Terror Kroozers have: Prow Mega-Kanons, Broadside Mega-Kanons, Engine Speed, Taunt, Stasis Bomb.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you aren't level 8 with orks yet. As far as kustom points go, always put a mega kannon on your ships, and whatever leftover points you have, put those into getting heavy kannonz.

Taunt isn't worth it anymore, drop that. Use MWJ, induction cells, and stasis bombs as your primary skills.

Your first upgrades should be speed and armor piercing macro, then maneuverability and belt. For my cruisers and battlecruisers I get grot messengers as my fifth, decide here if you want bad moons for the extra upgrade or not.

Against a Chaos admiral that plays correctly, it seems completely impossible to catch up and kill the fleet. Under the right circumstances I can chain taunt and destroy or heavily damage a single ship, but I still can't catch up with the rest of the fleet. It takes too many taunts to get too little of his fleet down for me to swing the battle in my favor, generally.

You aren't running the right setup, and you may not be playing catch up correctly.

It seems pretty obviously like a hard counter, but wanted to see if I was missing any options/strategies here.

It's not a hard counter, when you get the hang of it, chaos aren't a problem, at least for me. But I'll see if i can't get some recording done and show you what I'm talking about.

Gretchin~lover

Postby Gretchin~lover » 03 April 2016, 02:40

As someone thats maxed out all his ork ship I can give pretty much the same advise. FIRST get micro jump, you simply cannot make it without it. then get Evil sunz for tractor beams, a fleet of them does wonders. and pop the red button any time it can be used, its imperative you get close to chaos. and TARGET engines. Otherwise the lances will eat you alive before you even see em. Thow in a badmoon ship for the rare instance the long range lightning attack might knock out vital systems or engine.

rockets are good too....but unless you have a fleet of them chaos will simply sidestep the entire volley.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”