Opinion on the state of balance and the game.

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Steel*Faith

Opinion on the state of balance and the game.

Postby Steel*Faith » 03 October 2016, 18:46

I loved the Eldar when they first released, but those nerfs originally really were heavy handed. You have to work so hard for victory, and you will usually always lose your ships (or take heavy damage), for mediocre, if not the same results as the other factions. For such pathetically fragile ships, the damage output on the starcannons and pulsars are not impressive at all. To me, Eldar feel like Glass without the cannon part.

Tau are my favorite 40k race, and I love how the implemented them, but compare their damage, durability, versatility etc to the Eldar... it's not even close. I wish they would make Pulsars function like any other lance battery in the game, and have them fire passively. Ever since the beta, aligning your ship properly, without that wobble effect, is a pain and makes using pulsars feel really awkward.

I hate to say this, because I don't want the Tau to become Eldar Nerf 2.0, but I think Mont'ka needs to be toned down, as the critical damage bonus is just too much. Also, the Kroot Warsphere should have 75 armor, and serve better as their "tank" ship to soak damage, I don't know why it has less armor than lighter Tau cruisers?

Lastly, I hope Tindalos can make it so the AI will not detect you always when using Stealth builds, or when using nebula to hide. I'd love to make some Stealth fleets for Tau, Chaos and Eldar, but since the AI always can see you regardless, it makes this impossible.

Steel*Faith

Re: Opinion on the state of balance and the game.

Postby Steel*Faith » 03 October 2016, 18:52

Oh, and another thing. I would love to see Tau get a 3rd Alien Auxiliary ship slot - 2 is very limiting. That way I could have both variants of Demiurg vessels, plus a Warsphere, or two Warspheres built differently, and a 3rd choice of a Demiurg light or heavy cruiser etc.

As for the Eldar, I know the Battleship is the main reason why people were crying for nerfs so much, and probably still do. Although, I find it ridiculous to punish all the other weak Eldar ships, because they have one powerful ship.

Edit: Another suggestion, the Kroot Warsphere should have access to Fire Caste AND Water Caste favors. Fire Caste would work perfectly for a Warsphere, and would make sense to have a Fire Warrior detachment serving on the vessel - especially since the ships launched from it are Tau boarding vessels.

Hallbregg

Postby Hallbregg » 03 October 2016, 19:10

Eldar is more than fine, as several top 10 ranked admirals atest. If you are having problems playing them is because you are not focusing on their ordenace enough.

Beernchips

Postby Beernchips » 03 October 2016, 19:16

The main limitation with Eldars is the micro of the player and the size of the battle.
Having to micro 3 or more Eldar ships while having to dodge multiple attack paths from enemy is very hard.
If you have enoug micro pulsars are still the best lance of the game.
But it is true that Eldar carrier fleet is far more easier to play while still being good with the innate eldar ordnance survivability
Repent, for tomorrow you die

Steel*Faith

Postby Steel*Faith » 03 October 2016, 19:31

I agree with you somewhat, but Tau still blow Pulsars away from my experience, not including the Experimental Railgun. Problem is, against an equally good player, and an enemy fleet with full favors, your Eldar ships are going to take a lot more damage faster anyhow.

Regardless, carrier fleets shouldn't be the only effective path for Eldar. For me, I'd much prefer to build a Biel-Tan or Ulthwe fleet, with heavy amounts of upgraded starcannons and pulsars, but this just doesn't seem very effective compared to so many other good enemy ships and favor combos; even getting in 6k to 9k distance seems suicidal as how fast you will die.

I feel the best fix they could do, which would make Eldar a little easier to play, and more rewarding for most, would be to make Pulsars fire like any other lance. This way you could focus on positing, and other abilities, and have your pulsars become a more reliable and steady weapon. Also, a damage boost to star cannon upgrades, and a slight buff to holofield upgrades, would go a long ways as well.

Sagranda

Postby Sagranda » 03 October 2016, 19:39

Eldar: Starcannons are meh and 6k Pulsars are crap.

Orks: Needs a whole rework. Really bad state in terms of balance and design.

Though those two factions are a result of the devs listening to the whiners without a clue.

Chaos: Pretty balanced, but needs slight adjustments in terms of Favours

IN: Aside from some ships and some needed adjustments to some Favours they are in a good place imho

Tau: ships/mechanics, upgrades, "war stances" and Favours need adjustments, removal or rework

Beernchips wrote:The main limitation with Eldars is the micro of the player and the size of the battle.
Having to micro 3 or more Eldar ships while having to dodge multiple attack paths from enemy is very hard.
If you have enoug micro pulsars are still the best lance of the game.
But it is true that Eldar carrier fleet is far more easier to play while still being good with the innate eldar ordnance survivability

I have no issues with the micro, but as soon as you face a competent opponent the 6k range will spell doom of at least one of your ships pretty fast.
Reducing the range and halving damage without addressing survive-ability was a huge mistake, as the effort you have to put into pulling it off gets nowhere near rewarded in terms of risks and what the enemy has to put into it to counter the 6k Pulsars.
I play Orkz to collect all those salty Imperial tears
#FeelsWaaaghBoss

Steel*Faith

Postby Steel*Faith » 03 October 2016, 19:58

I disagree about the Orks; my shooty Bad Moonz fleet is awesome. Why do you think they are so bad? They are easily one of the most enjoyable races in the game, and an "entire rework" is never going to happen, and I don't think I needs to happen. Some improvements and adjustments to their skills and upgrades seems more feasible, but I'm not sure what they would need changed as I haven't seen anything glaring needing changes.

As for the Tau, from how your making it sound, the Tau need a heavy nerf and change, and I'm definitely against that. As I already said, Mont'ka needs a nerf. Other than that, I love how they play and feel. Tau are one dimensional shooters, and when you target weapon systems, they are pretty screwed.

Neighbor Kid

Postby Neighbor Kid » 03 October 2016, 20:13

I feel like lack of ships maybe a cause for some fleets.

Sagranda

Postby Sagranda » 03 October 2016, 20:23

Steel*Faith wrote:I disagree about the Orks; my shooty Bad Moonz fleet is awesome. Why do you think they are so bad? They are easily one of the most enjoyable races in the game, and an "entire rework" is never going to happen, and I don't think I needs to happen. Some improvements and adjustments to their skills and upgrades seems more feasible, but I'm not sure what they would need changed as I haven't seen anything glaring needing changes.

Kannonz are way too restricted to be called good and reliable weapons, unless you have Lady Luck as your personal pleasure slave
Gunz are only good and reliable when you use upgrades for them and then only during the "Lock on" special order
Kannonz and Gunz are basically useless against Space Marines and/or front 75 armor
Kroot Launchers overpriced
Ships overall too cheap though
Looted ship trait
Speed upgrade reliant on RNG, so that it won't blow up your engines when you use the BRB
Easy Nova-Kannon spam through Favour and cheap ships
Too much "utility" on Zzaps while you can spam them, so you still have very good damage
No Silent Running (aside from the Favour) against the homing torpedo and carrier fleets, so you are somewhat reliant on on Kroot Launchers
"Bad damage scaling" in terms of Kustomization Points from Battlecruiser to Battleship

As for the Tau, from how your making it sound, the Tau need a heavy nerf and change, and I'm definitely against that. As I already said, Mont'ka needs a nerf. Other than that, I love how they play and feel. Tau are one dimensional shooters, and when you target weapon systems, they are pretty screwed.

Stealth Alloy
Kroot Warsphere (actually needs a buff, since there's basically no sense to the ship currently)
Water Caste Favour in comparison to Inquisition and Imperial Navy Favour
Air Caste agility and defense boost
Defensive and ordnance upgrades may need a looking at, as well as the trait of the Messenger and Custodian ship
Ships with Gravity Hooks
I think it was the Battlecruiser which has two ships that are almost the same. So there's little to no difference about which ship you choose
While I don't see the Earth Caste Favour as a problem when there's only a single one, it will be one when people spam it.
I play Orkz to collect all those salty Imperial tears
#FeelsWaaaghBoss

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 04 October 2016, 11:06

Space marines suck worst. Than IN and orks. Than Eldar and Chaos, and Tau is best I feel.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”