Lazy Model Design

General discussion regarding the Tau Empire beta.
User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Imperator5 » 15 September 2016, 11:48

Sablus Ironika wrote:Hello fellow citizens of the greater good,

I am Sablus Ironika, Tech Priest Majoris of the mighty Imperium and specialist of the Tau technologies
I am also Art Director on the project. That being said, I went through the posts and read all the comments, I will try to make constructive comments.

First of all, I would like to say that you are right on a point, regarding the Ion cannon. It is exactly the same design. The reason is that it was the safer zone for us regarding the validation process with GW, I know this is no excuse and that we should have change it enough to make it feel bigger or different enough as we did for other factions, like the lance turrets for the Imperium.
I will do everything I can to change this mistake in the time left.
But we will keep the turret system like on the hammer head, because we tried other designs and we were not happy with the result regarding the general aesthetic on the ships.
So, will rework the design, but it is very important for us to make those weapons easily identifiable for all players, so it will not be an exact copy/paste as it is, but we will keep the general weapon's design.
Regarding the Railgun, it is pretty much the same problem, but the barrels will remain the same, even if it is just an upscale. We will make changes to make them feel bigger.

_For the drones, it's another problem, at first, they were supposed to be regular drones, so yes it is the same design, because it is the same drones, targeting/repairing drones. Here it's a problem that you can already see with ordonnances, they are not at the right scale, because if we do, you will not see them anymore, and that's why we broke the scale for ordonnances and drones. I understand why you say that it is chocking regarding the resolution on them, we are working on this point too, but as Alpharius said, we also have IP issues on this as for the weapons.

I want to thank you all for your concerns, criticisms, and feedbacks, they are very useful.
It's good to have fresh looks over our work, because sometime you have your nose in the wheel and you need someone else to point out some obvious problems.

Have a nice day


All very understandable, but could the ion cannons be a little bigger? They feel just so small compared to the railguns.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Little Green Mensch
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 September 2016, 12:44
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Little Green Mensch » 15 September 2016, 17:18

Sablus Ironika wrote:I will do everything I can to change this mistake in the time left.
But we will keep the turret system like on the hammer head, because we tried other designs and we were not happy with the result regarding the general aesthetic on the ships.

So, will rework the design, but it is very important for us to make those weapons easily identifiable for all players, so it will not be an exact copy/paste as it is, but we will keep the general weapon's design.
Regarding the Railgun, it is pretty much the same problem, but the barrels will remain the same, even if it is just an upscale. We will make changes to make them feel bigger.


Would it be possible to enclose the backs of the current ion cannons and railguns within some sort of domed turret? That would preserve the similarity to the tank weapons, while still visually differentiating them.

Also, the ion cannons on the Forgeworld Tau ships had large turrets with three gun barrels - putting three ion cannons on the same turret might be an easy way to increase the relative size of the ion cannons without making them look odd.

I would actually scale down the railguns slightly - they don't have to be as large as macro cannons, necessarily. My preference for bulking them up would be making them more like the Imperial turrets: enclosed, with barrels protruding, albeit in a squat, rounded turret rather than a tall, blocky turret.

I've included a reference picture of the Forgeworld Tau Protector cruiser with the turrets labeled.

Image

User avatar
anguloke
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 36
Joined: 01 January 2016, 01:41
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby anguloke » 16 September 2016, 08:43

Imperator5 wrote:B: You don't get to make mistakes and than accuse me of being inaccurate. I am one of the most well read 40k experts ever. l


Suggest reading Appeal to authoritiy.
Image

Links to a store page with no quotes is not a supporting argument. Provide the quotes and pages. Personally I'd prefer you support so with a picture from the book of the quote, because I don't believe or trust you given you love to bully your way around here constantly. You made the claim it is YOUR job to back up the claim. I'll take you not doing so as an admission you don't have any. Put up or shut up.
What is your Duty? To serve Emperor’s Will.
What is Emperor’s Will? That we fight and die.
What is Death? It is our duty.
What is your Duty? …

User avatar
anguloke
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 36
Joined: 01 January 2016, 01:41
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby anguloke » 16 September 2016, 08:47

Little Green Mensch wrote:
Sablus Ironika wrote:I will do everything I can to change this mistake in the time left.
But we will keep the turret system like on the hammer head, because we tried other designs and we were not happy with the result regarding the general aesthetic on the ships.

So, will rework the design, but it is very important for us to make those weapons easily identifiable for all players, so it will not be an exact copy/paste as it is, but we will keep the general weapon's design.
Regarding the Railgun, it is pretty much the same problem, but the barrels will remain the same, even if it is just an upscale. We will make changes to make them feel bigger.


Would it be possible to enclose the backs of the current ion cannons and railguns within some sort of domed turret? That would preserve the similarity to the tank weapons, while still visually differentiating them.

Also, the ion cannons on the Forgeworld Tau ships had large turrets with three gun barrels - putting three ion cannons on the same turret might be an easy way to increase the relative size of the ion cannons without making them look odd.

I would actually scale down the railguns slightly - they don't have to be as large as macro cannons, necessarily. My preference for bulking them up would be making them more like the Imperial turrets: enclosed, with barrels protruding, albeit in a squat, rounded turret rather than a tall, blocky turret.

I've included a reference picture of the Forgeworld Tau Protector cruiser with the turrets labeled.

Image


Seems the most reasonable of the issues and solutions.
What is your Duty? To serve Emperor’s Will.
What is Emperor’s Will? That we fight and die.
What is Death? It is our duty.
What is your Duty? …

User avatar
Sablus Ironika
Tindalos Team
Posts: 6
Joined: 28 October 2015, 15:05
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Sablus Ironika » 16 September 2016, 09:00

Hello guys,

Thank you for feedbacks and propositions, we are working on it.

Have a nice week-end

wowu5
Posts: 9
Joined: 13 March 2016, 07:03
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby wowu5 » 16 September 2016, 10:59

Lore question: Why would a Tau ship use infantry marker drone at all? I couldn't imagine these human size sensors being even 1% as effective as those much larger advance system mounted on-board the warships.

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Imperator5 » 16 September 2016, 11:20

anguloke wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:B: You don't get to make mistakes and than accuse me of being inaccurate. I am one of the most well read 40k experts ever. l


Suggest reading Appeal to authoritiy.
Image

Links to a store page with no quotes is not a supporting argument. Provide the quotes and pages. Personally I'd prefer you support so with a picture from the book of the quote, because I don't believe or trust you given you love to bully your way around here constantly. You made the claim it is YOUR job to back up the claim. I'll take you not doing so as an admission you don't have any. Put up or shut up.


Well it is illegal to quote entire Games Workshop products but you are trying to convince me to commit piracy. There are free samples provided with some of them , though.

I need not prove myself to you, you are nothing compared to me and will never be my equal. You are a failiure who could not even post pictures of the right Tau battlesuits. You do not get to make mistakes like that and have a hold on me. I have displayed my very extensive knowledge of the background lore since this site was active. You are like a student trying to call out a professor after you got an F on a test.

You do not get to make demands of me because your demands can not be legally fulfilled. But anyone who read the books can and will support my statement. Are you so cheap that you can not buy them yourself? Maybe it is time to get a job?
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Malanthor
Posts: 47
Joined: 18 March 2016, 20:34
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Malanthor » 16 September 2016, 11:50

What exactly is the issue here. That Tau upscale weapons and put on their spaceships. I have read that in some i-believe official material but i cant remember where. Anyway its such a tiny issue so who cares. :D

Xca|iber
Posts: 16
Joined: 21 May 2016, 01:21
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby Xca|iber » 16 September 2016, 17:23

Malanthor wrote:What exactly is the issue here. That Tau upscale weapons and put on their spaceships. I have read that in some i-believe official material but i cant remember where. Anyway its such a tiny issue so who cares. :D


The issue is that the tabletop model guns look like this:
Little Green Mensch wrote:Image


But the ones in BFG:Armada have guns that look like the current GW models for the ground vehicles. The OP was complaining about it, saying that the scale of the in-game guns broke his/her sense of immersion.

(Honestly, I'm with you - I hadn't even noticed the guns on the in-game models were different, since the tabletop models basically just have blobs with smaller hot-dog shaped blobs coming out of them as turrets)

LittleBlueMan
Posts: 35
Joined: 27 April 2016, 06:15
Contact:

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby LittleBlueMan » 17 September 2016, 02:20

Devs have spoken, let's move on and let this thread die a peaceful death, yes? Nothing productive is coming out of here anymore. Thank you all for a spirited discussion.


Return to “Beta Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests