Lazy Model Design

General discussion regarding the Tau Empire beta.
LittleBlueMan

Re: Lazy Model Design

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 18:48

Alright here's the side by side:

It's the same for the railguns. If you can't see how that's egregious in the extreme, completely objectionable, and lazy workmanship that's disrespectful to the consumer, then I don't know what else to say.

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 09 September 2016, 18:51

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I think they did a great job on the ships
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 18:55

Exactly the same.
Think it looks great, regardless of where the model comes from.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

LittleBlueMan

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 19:06

Hey, since those Tau ones looked so good with the tabletop models, I made an IN one with accurate upscaled macro weaponry! :)

It looks great and makes sense in the universe right? Like it shoots things, so why not make a bigger one that shoots bigger things. That makes sense.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 19:10

Different strokes for different folks.
I'm happy with the Tau, the visuals and the Sound design are both very good in the DLC in my books.
If you don't like it, that's on you.

Also technically inaccurate to compare a Macro to an upscaled bolter.
A bolter isn't magnetically accelerated, I'm pretty sure only the Eradicator Cannon (a down scaled Nova Cannon in the fluff) is among ground weapons for the Imperium.
The comparison falls apart quickly between space and ground for the IN and IG to a much greater extent than for the Tau.
-Imperial Navy

BFG Wiki Founding Member

LittleBlueMan

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 19:17

Caliger you seem think I'm attacking the faction. I'm not. They copy pasted an existing tank weapon onto a spaceship in a phone-it-in style.

Further, it is accurate to compare a bolter to macro cannons because macro cannons are not any ONE type of weapon, they are MANY types of weapons.

So put an eradicator on there instead of a bolter. Not an eradicator inspired weapon, but an actual model from tabletop. Would you like that, or would it cut at the core suspension of disbelief required to enjoy this game?

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 19:22

LittleBlueMan wrote:Caliger you seem think I'm attacking the faction. I'm not. They copy pasted an existing tank weapon onto a spaceship in a phone-it-in style.

Further, it is accurate to compare a bolter to macro cannons because macro cannons are not any ONE type of weapon, they are MANY types of weapons.

Oh, I know, I got the joke and the snarc.
Just pointing out how it technically doesn't work like that.
Your second point is why I said comparisons breakdown fast between space and ground for the Imperium.
If I go through the whole list of reasons I'd be here a while.

EDIT: That would actually be cool. Wouldn't be as friendly to the lore or the models as the current Tau but I wouldn't strongly oppose it. The Eradicator does look suitably meaty and at home if it where sized up.
Also an Eradicator upscale would literally be a Nova Cannon. It would be a perfectly acceptable Nova Cannon model.
-Imperial Navy

BFG Wiki Founding Member

Ahzek Ahriman

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 09 September 2016, 19:35

LittleBlueMan wrote:Caliger you seem think I'm attacking the faction. I'm not. They copy pasted an existing tank weapon onto a spaceship in a phone-it-in style.

So put an eradicator on there instead of a bolter. Not an eradicator inspired weapon, but an actual model from tabletop. Would you like that, or would it cut at the core suspension of disbelief required to enjoy this game?

Why wouldn't they just copy and paste? Tau literally just upscale their weapons into space.

And if you're making ridiculous comparisons, at least make sense at what you're ridiculing. Comparing large naval (astral?) single shot cannon to a portable, rapid firing weapon fed by magazine/ammo belt is beyond stupid and only makes us think you don't even know what you're talking about.

You should have used autocannons, earthshakers, missile launchers or lascannons for your comparison.

Stupid bolter comparison aside, while the weapons look OK as they are now, I do believe they could indeed put some more effort into making them fit onto the ships more smoothly. Tanks and battlesuits have limited space inside, spaceships have more and can contain some components of the weapon inside the hull.

As me and Caliger said, no big deal. While your points are perfectly valid, there is no need to overhype this into a massive problem and be aggresive about it.
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

LittleBlueMan

Postby LittleBlueMan » 09 September 2016, 19:49

Yes, I could have used a thousand other weapons than a bolter. How on earth does that change the literal screenshot I showed u of a lazy model.

BUT IT GETS BETTER. Check this out!

Again, if it's totally fine that they have an identical marker light drone, in space, hundreds of feet long, great, fine, enjoy. But no amount of "but they upscale stuff" will make this anything but lazy model work.

I would have liked to see something thematically similar, sure. Again, they upscale. You guys seem to think I'm arguing against the idea. I'm not. Look at what I'm complaining about. They took a model that already exists in a different scale, and put it on their own.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 09 September 2016, 19:55

LittleBlueMan wrote:Yes, I could have used a thousand other weapons than a bolter. How on earth does that change the literal screenshot I showed u of a lazy model.

BUT IT GETS BETTER. Check this out!

Again, if it's totally fine that they have an identical marker light drone, in space, hundreds of feet long, great, fine, enjoy. But no amount of "but they upscale stuff" will make this anything but lazy model work.

I would have liked to see something thematically similar, sure. Again, they upscale. You guys seem to think I'm arguing against the idea. I'm not. Look at what I'm complaining about. They took a model that already exists in a different scale, and put it on their own.

The drone model I can sort of agree with, and Im not going to deny that they are the same and more effort could have been put in...

I just don't care at all.
It's just not a serious issue at all to me.
-Imperial Navy

BFG Wiki Founding Member

Return to “Beta Discussion”