How Much Stray dogs and cats in Greece.

Let us know your feedback for the Tau Empire Beta here - for the Greater Good!
laringstale

How Much Stray dogs and cats in Greece.

Postby laringstale » 01 January 2020, 07:27

After returning from a week long holiday on the the Greek island of Rhodes, I was appalled at the sheer number of stray dogs and cats. The majority I saw were in a terrible state. Emaciated, starving, injured and begging for scraps of food. I saw many dogs chained to trees and empty barrels with no food, water or shelter from the intense sun (I was informed that these ones are guard dogs but they were always left in wasteland where there was nothing to guard) I was really shocked to see such sights in a country that is part of the EU. On returning to the UK and doing some research, I have since discovered that this is a huge problem on all the Greek islands as well as the mainland.

spheneubiquity

Re: How Much Stray dogs and cats in Greece.

Postby spheneubiquity » 01 January 2020, 07:28

It has also emerged that the Greek authorities way of dealing with the problem is to poison them, which means dogs and cats take days to die in agony. There are no government funded neutering schemes in Greece, nor will they even contribute towards any such thing. Shelters are over crowded and they rely purely on donations.

The life span of an average dog or cat in Greece is 2 years. Many animals can survive throughout the summer months when tourists are around to feed them, but many perish from starvation or poisoning in the winter months when the tourists leave.

I would urge anyone who is going or has been to Greece to write / email the relevant authorities (addresses listed below) and urge them to take humane action on the stray dogs and cats.

concavekool

Postby concavekool » 01 January 2020, 07:28

I find it incredibly outlandish that someone would basically say; If you don’t like it, then don’t go. This is expert advice? If everyone reacted that way, NO one would travel. In every part of the world you are going to see things that disturb you. This is a fact.

What I saw in Rhodes was upsetting and seemed inhumane. I understand the shopkeepers cannot financially take care of all stray dogs, so what do you do? You don’t want to be the one that puts them out of their misery, so you leave them alone. It is a double edge sword. The dogs I saw tried to trees, it was a different story, and I felt that was the most heartless. The cure of course would be spay and neutering of these animals and ultimately finding them a real home.

Thank heavens some people like blastbeat take action instead of turning a blind eye. Writing a letter more then likely will have no effect, but it could also possibly be the start of something good. Caring for animals that are domesticated is the right thing to do. They cannot care for themselves, like a child they need food, water, shelter and doctors care when need be. To ignore that reality is insanely ignorant. Lets not overlook letting these animals go uncared for can also spread disease to humans.

boobhighest

Postby boobhighest » 01 January 2020, 07:29

For example, when Jamie Oliver started the show about school meals and I saw what Brit kids were eating at school (and at home) I was disgusted. I could not believe that there were kids of 6 years that had never tried salad and were fed chicken nuggets and crisps almost every day! But I realised that Brits have probably different points of views about what a child should eat. Different countries, different points of views. I didn't go on any forum blaming Brits for being bad parents!

Same with animals. You think that dogs should be in the house, sitting all day doing nothing. We think that they should guard our property, walk around the street, I know dogs who go to the kiosk and get the newspaper for their bosses. You just have to accept that we see things differently. That's all and it is quite simple if you see it that way!

laringstale

Postby laringstale » 01 January 2020, 07:29

I really trust you don’t assume I am suggesting every pet owner in Greece is a bad pet owner. This topic we are speaking of stray animals and the lack of care for them. In every part of the world this is a problem. In Rhodes what I witnessed was stray dogs were around every corner and some on the beaches. I’ve never seen so many malnourish animals. I’m talking skin and bones, they couldn’t walk fast if they wanted to. Most of them had open sores. I was told not to touch them because they have scabies mites. I hope you are not telling me this is common and your approve with that? Culturally, ethnically or however you want to view it it’s wrong. Just like it’s wrong to feed your children nothing but junk food instead of real food, simply in the wrong.

I really find it strange that this has become somewhat of a debate. Maybe you should check out the web site blastbeat posted and let me know what you think? I really wonder if you and I are chatting about two different things at this point?

On a side note, while I was in Katalon I witnessed a man kick a dog out of his way and the local people attacked the man because he injured the dog. It was quite a site and I have to say in any part of the world you live in you are going to defend your beloved pet. I’m not saying people in Greece don’t love and care for their pets, that would be a ridiculous statement.

Return to “Tau Empire Beta”