How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Discuss the Tau fleet. For the Greater Good!
User avatar
Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 310
Joined: 22 October 2015, 13:40
Location: Chatteris; United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Uksharazad87 » 29 April 2016, 18:37

Owl wrote:
Littlerift wrote:
Owl wrote:
You sure? I understand that most of the noise generated by a gun shot is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier and the gasses proppeling it forming an audible pressure wave, but wouldn't we hear a sort of whine as the railgun capacitors released their charge?


No more than you hear your computers capacitors empty when you turn off your PC.

You hear a humming sound while the capacitors hold their charge for a second or so, but otherwise all you get is the sonic boom. There are quite a few videos on YouTube; coilguns are pretty disappointing outside of the raw physics going on. :P


Wait, hold on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between rail guns and coilguns?


To youtube!! (Grabbing link watch this space)

Electromagnetic Rail-cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sAUHwTP4A

Railgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkthsIs71OA

Coilgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7FNYcdtr2A

User avatar
Necroledo
Posts: 161
Joined: 25 March 2016, 12:05
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Necroledo » 29 April 2016, 18:45

I have been thinking about this! And I have samples for you :P
First, some definitions:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Railgun
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Rail_Weapons
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ion_Cannon
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_Weapons

Now to the samples:

- Railguns:

The best railgun sound I've ever heard comes from Natural Selection 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHO608Cr6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2FwOz ... be&t=7m57s

- Ion Cannons:

As Littlerift said, PPCs (Particle Projector Cannons) from Mechwarrior Online are probably the closest scifi weapon to them, and have great sound as well.
https://youtu.be/Ky5G232NXAo?t=1m27s
https://youtu.be/sAy8B5Ei5ao?t=47s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPPD9CpNJo

For me, sounds like these would be the most fitting and awesome we could have.
Last edited by Necroledo on 29 April 2016, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Owl
Community Moderator
Posts: 454
Joined: 04 February 2016, 23:46
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Owl » 29 April 2016, 19:07

Allright, we're making some good progress here :). Sorry I can't look at the videos yet, but I'm in a crowded public area. I'll have a look at them when I get home.

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 23:49

It should sound like this.


User avatar
Owl
Community Moderator
Posts: 454
Joined: 04 February 2016, 23:46
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Owl » 30 April 2016, 01:20

Kadaeux wrote:It should sound like this.



Is that Fire Warrior?! I havn't seen that game in ages. Good work finding this ancient tech-relic Adept Kadaeux; keep it p, and you may just find yourself in charge of your own Forge World!

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Kadaeux » 30 April 2016, 01:45

Owl wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:It should sound like this.



Is that Fire Warrior?! I havn't seen that game in ages. Good work finding this ancient tech-relic Adept Kadaeux; keep it p, and you may just find yourself in charge of your own Forge World!


Aye, I loved that game. (For all it's glaring faults :P)

For all it's faults, sound direction was not one of them.

nesben
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 April 2016, 13:25
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby nesben » 30 April 2016, 13:32

'Pew Pew laser'

For the Greater Good, please don't let the Tau weapons go "pew pew."

blackseven
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 April 2016, 17:11
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby blackseven » 30 April 2016, 20:40

Littlerift wrote:Well Railguns in real-life just sound like any other gun, although in-game I'd rather they sounded something like the PPCs from Mechwarrior Online.


If we use MWO as a reference, shouldn't rail guns sound like Gauss rifles (Battletech gauss, not Necron gauss)? I'd imagine PPC should work better for Tau ion cannons, since they are described similarly.

User avatar
Littlerift
Posts: 109
Joined: 20 April 2016, 13:40
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Littlerift » 30 April 2016, 23:30

blackseven wrote:
Littlerift wrote:Well Railguns in real-life just sound like any other gun, although in-game I'd rather they sounded something like the PPCs from Mechwarrior Online.


If we use MWO as a reference, shouldn't rail guns sound like Gauss rifles (Battletech gauss, not Necron gauss)? I'd imagine PPC should work better for Tau ion cannons, since they are described similarly.


They should, yes, but Gauss Rifles sound rubbish. :P

Xandrieu12
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 April 2016, 20:15
Contact:

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Xandrieu12 » 04 May 2016, 08:28

Littlerift wrote:
blackseven wrote:
Littlerift wrote:Well Railguns in real-life just sound like any other gun, although in-game I'd rather they sounded something like the PPCs from Mechwarrior Online.


If we use MWO as a reference, shouldn't rail guns sound like Gauss rifles (Battletech gauss, not Necron gauss)? I'd imagine PPC should work better for Tau ion cannons, since they are described similarly.


They should, yes, but Gauss Rifles sound rubbish. :P

A pity, since Necron Gauss always comes with that wonderfully nasty tearing sound.


Return to “Tau Fleet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron