How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Discuss the Tau fleet. For the Greater Good!
Owl
Community Moderator

How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Owl » 29 April 2016, 17:53

The Tau have access to some of the most advanced weaponry among the younger races. But how should they sound? We have railguns, ion cannons, and Drone Missile Swarms, and while we have some sound-file examples of the Tau using these weapons in the Dawn of War series, the space ship variants are monstrous in comparison to what the Tau ground forces use.

Consider this a challenge: what are the most badass sounds you can make or find for the Tau weapons?

Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: How Should the Tau Weapons Sound?

Postby Uksharazad87 » 29 April 2016, 18:00

Eh-hem....

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!"

Oh lets not forget, "Pew pew pew."

joking aside and my bad sound fx, I *love* the clanking tolling sounds of the macro-cannon's firing (even a bell tolling in there) i would expect Tau to be alot more.... "clean".

Like a buildup of power, ending is just a split second "clap" of thunder. and a instant detonation on the enemy ship. Thats how i envision Railguns at least.
Last edited by Uksharazad87 on 29 April 2016, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 29 April 2016, 18:04

Owl wrote:The Tau have access to some of the most advanced weaponry among the younger races. But how should they sound? We have railguns, ion cannons, and Drone Missile Swarms, and while we have some sound-file examples of the Tau using these weapons in the Dawn of War series, the space ship variants are monstrous in comparison to what the Tau ground forces use.

Consider this a challenge: what are the most badass sounds you can make or find for the Tau weapons?

they sound like what ever they sound like in animes

:^)

barring that use the same sounds from dark crusade/soulstorm
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 29 April 2016, 18:05

Uksharazad87 wrote:Eh-hem....

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!"

Wait, WHAT? :lol:

Littlerift

Postby Littlerift » 29 April 2016, 18:06

Well Railguns in real-life just sound like any other gun, although in-game I'd rather they sounded something like the PPCs from Mechwarrior Online.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 29 April 2016, 18:10

Littlerift wrote:Well Railguns in real-life just sound like any other gun

You sure? I understand that most of the noise generated by a gun shot is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier and the gasses proppeling it forming an audible pressure wave, but wouldn't we hear a sort of whine as the railgun capacitors released their charge?

Littlerift

Postby Littlerift » 29 April 2016, 18:16

Owl wrote:

You sure? I understand that most of the noise generated by a gun shot is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier and the gasses proppeling it forming an audible pressure wave, but wouldn't we hear a sort of whine as the railgun capacitors released their charge?

No more than you hear your computers capacitors empty when you turn off your PC.

You hear a humming sound while the capacitors hold their charge for a second or so, but otherwise all you get is the sonic boom. There are quite a few videos on YouTube; coilguns are pretty disappointing outside of the raw physics going on. :P

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 29 April 2016, 18:32

Littlerift wrote:
Owl wrote:

No more than you hear your computers capacitors empty when you turn off your PC.

You hear a humming sound while the capacitors hold their charge for a second or so, but otherwise all you get is the sonic boom. There are quite a few videos on YouTube; coilguns are pretty disappointing outside of the raw physics going on. :P

Wait, hold on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between rail guns and coilguns?

Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Uksharazad87 » 29 April 2016, 18:33

Littlerift wrote:
Owl wrote:

its 40k. Take real world guns and sci-fi the crap outta em :P

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 29 April 2016, 18:36

Bludfist wrote:
Owl wrote:The Tau have access to some of the most advanced weaponry among the younger races. But how should they sound? We have railguns, ion cannons, and Drone Missile Swarms, and while we have some sound-file examples of the Tau using these weapons in the Dawn of War series, the space ship variants are monstrous in comparison to what the Tau ground forces use.

they sound like what ever they sound like in animes

:^)

barring that use the same sounds from dark crusade/soulstorm

actually I agree, I'd look to anime, specificvly giant mecha anime, for inspiration for the sounds

Return to “Tau Fleet”