Tau - any weaknesses?

Discuss the Tau fleet. For the Greater Good!
Lothair

Tau - any weaknesses?

Postby Lothair » 30 September 2016, 21:39

So I've been trying to level up chaos from the beginning after a huge break and I cannot see any weakness in our new arrivals.

+
Long range (like Chaos) - check
HUGE DPS - check
Better repair than others - check
Ability to harass like orcs with gravity - check
Guided, but weaker torps - check
Awesome frontal armour - check
Decent Rams - check (due to armour I believe)

-
Slow :D

Deploy in the corner - send probes, send torps, keep front to the enemy (not a huge problem in the corner/cloud. Repeat. When he gets closer, dps the crap out of him. Watch out for splitting of your fleet.

So - what the hell?

Ashardalon

Re: Tau - any weaknesses?

Postby Ashardalon » 30 September 2016, 21:56

9k engagement range is it for tau
so go to 12k or 15k depending on carrier or lance
i advize lance
scouting abilitys , as chaos you never want to be closer then 11.5k away under any circumstances
focus generators if they have repair drones focus deck if they have probes or beacons
get probes or beacons an important part of not going closer then 11.5k
if they have an aircaste it can catch you, but the rest wont be able to keep up, so lure it out and focus fire until its dead then return to the rest of the fleet and kill them slowly and methodically cutting them to pieces with lances
use your speed unless they have aircaste
aircaste only protects vs macros so lances will still work vs them but it will hurt a bit more
a tzeensh ship helps a lot with the torps

Lothair

Postby Lothair » 30 September 2016, 22:14

Ok so maybe I was making the mistake by trying to create a fluffy Slaanesh fleet...

Ashardalon

Postby Ashardalon » 30 September 2016, 22:25

fluffy slaanesh is great against eldar and tau auxiliarys
and can still work vs tau as long as you stay hidden, no tzeensh to make that easier but running silent is still an option
probably helps with the aircaste tho
but brawling with tau i wouldnt advise unless you built nurgle for tanking

MadDemiurg

Postby MadDemiurg » 30 September 2016, 22:38

Poor detection, speed (if not air caste), all weapons need LoS (see poor detection), non ordnance weapons only really effective at 6k range with no upgrades to improve this.

The two factions I feel Tau are OP against are SM and Eldar, but it feels like the problem is with these two factions either being UP in general or inflexible and having some glaring weaknesses.

Ahzek Ahriman

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 30 September 2016, 23:18

Ashardalon wrote:fluffy slaanesh is great against eldar and tau auxiliarys
and can still work vs tau as long as you stay hidden, no tzeensh to make that easier but running silent is still an option
probably helps with the aircaste tho
but brawling with tau i wouldnt advise unless you built nurgle for tanking

Nurgle doesn't increase tankiness tho. It only works well against boarding factions (SM, orkz) and/or if you can put your ships very close to multiple enemies, something very difficult against Tau (that is, without losing your ship 4x faster).

Sooo... yeah. Brawling with Tau as Chaos is not a good idea.
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

Ashardalon

Postby Ashardalon » 30 September 2016, 23:58

build the ship for tanking (void overcharge, extra voids and stuff like that)
and park it in the middle, tau formations are pretty close so having it affect all the entire enemy fleet is reasonably easy
with tau low hp nurgle will melt trough them reasonably fast
i havnt tried it but i had a nurgle opponent that came damn close to winning but ragequit out after i focused down one of his ships
it will cost you half your fleet probably but wrecking the entire fleet while they have to worry about the one thats next to them and focus firing helps, just go in one at a time and give covering fire with the rest
only thing tau can really do against this is either splitting up and tau benefit a lot from being in formation
or mass repair drones, if they do swarm repair drones then yes nurgle is going to have a bad time

also if you are to close for their torps to arm they still dont do anything

Alekan

Postby Alekan » 01 October 2016, 00:13

IMO Chaos is fairly weak against Tau. 4x Emissaries w/ Water Caste, Repair Drones, and Turret Dhows can present an unfavorable matchup against any Chaos build. If you kite, you will eventually get cornered and crushed by massed Dhows – Lances don’t do enough if the Tau rotates focused ships to the back to give repair drones a chance and once Turret Dhows are on the field Chaos Carrier is hosed. Going for a quick kill as Chaos is super risky due to superior focus fire of Tau at close range and Prow defense making ramming ineffective despite the size difference. If Chaos sits in a dust field, Tau just needs to sit back, mass Dhows, and then do a brutal physical sweep of the dust field with overwhelming firepower.

Probably the best bad option is to use the superior speed of Chaos to pincer the Tau phalanx for a quick (and very bloody) kill. Even this is meh in larger games since a Tau Air Caste Protector is really wide and maneuverable and can serve as an excellent counter-rammer to buy time for the Emissaries to call in Dhows and/or focus you down.

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 02 October 2016, 10:58

Don't forget the 75 shield frontal armour upgrade. Makes voss shields look crap by comparison.

Tau do not have bad detection. They have the same as everybody else save the Emperor and Widowmaker.

Honestly they destroy IN SM and Eldar way too easy.

Orks can win as long as the Tau has no Knockback ability, but only then.
Eldar can try to Ulthwe and kite them with carriers.
SM can try to ram in battlebarge and if they are lucky, at least have a chance to win.
IN.... yeah they got nothing, since Tau got better than average turrets and turret upgrades so they can cancel any torpedo/carrier fleet totally out, and they outshoot IN very easily.
Chaos has a good chance to win if they Mark of Tzeentch all the time and pull it off well.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Beernchips

Postby Beernchips » 02 October 2016, 12:49

It is a bit too early to call if it is OP or UP but the first things to be looked at are probably
- Repair drone because repair drone spam stacking can go out of controlelike all aoe abilities that multiplicate on all ships affected (like seeker missile applying on all enemy shios and are not splitted between enemy ships)
- Deflective shields bonus armor not applied for ramming
- Tau Cruisers having 20 turn rate, same as LCs, they should have 15 or 10
Last edited by Beernchips on 02 October 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Repent, for tomorrow you die

Return to “Tau Fleet”