To smurf or not to smurf?

Discuss the Space Marine fleet. There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.
Halstead

Re: To smurf or not to smurf?

Postby Halstead » 08 May 2016, 16:37

BrianDavion wrote:
Kayvaan wrote:Why the hate on the UM? Anyway I would not mind having them in.

But I definitely want the Imperial fists in I wouldn't mine the blood ravens or the dark angels too.

the hate for the Ultramarines springs from a few sources, first of all they're the codex posterboys, amd a decent segment of the population loves to hate on that type, "omg! they follow the rules and do well? I HATE THEM!" those players are useally the more embarassing space wolf and black templar fanboys.
you had a bit of this, then along came the 5th edition codex by Matt Ward, anyway the 5th edition codex was VERY ultramarines centric, and even had a line noting that even non Ultramarines sucessors looked up to Gulliman as a sort of "spiritual leige" that pretty much triggered reflexive Ultramarines hate that hasn't died down yet.
Hm Ultramarines did well because they're adaptive/versatile rather than tying themselves down to a particular combat doctrine like certain chapters (for example: one that's all about melee and 'canines' and another is all about air/space mobility), right?

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 09 May 2016, 00:00

Halstead wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Kayvaan wrote:Why the hate on the UM? Anyway I would not mind having them in.

But I definitely want the Imperial fists in I wouldn't mine the blood ravens or the dark angels too.

the hate for the Ultramarines springs from a few sources, first of all they're the codex posterboys, amd a decent segment of the population loves to hate on that type, "omg! they follow the rules and do well? I HATE THEM!" those players are useally the more embarassing space wolf and black templar fanboys.
you had a bit of this, then along came the 5th edition codex by Matt Ward, anyway the 5th edition codex was VERY ultramarines centric, and even had a line noting that even non Ultramarines sucessors looked up to Gulliman as a sort of "spiritual leige" that pretty much triggered reflexive Ultramarines hate that hasn't died down yet.
Hm Ultramarines did well because they're adaptive/versatile rather than tying themselves down to a particular combat doctrine like certain chapters (for example: one that's all about melee and 'canines' and another is all about air/space mobility), right?

interpreting the space wolves as being pure melee would be a mistake. but you're not nesscarily wrong over all. The U;tramarines are noted as being very orthadox followers of the codex astartes, but the codex astartes at it's core prizes flexability and adaptability.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 09 May 2016, 16:46

BrianDavion wrote:
Halstead wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:

interpreting the space wolves as being pure melee would be a mistake. but you're not nesscarily wrong over all. The U;tramarines are noted as being very orthadox followers of the codex astartes, but the codex astartes at it's core prizes flexability and adaptability.

Unless of course you happen to be Uriel Ventris, in which case flexibility and adaptability get you into deep shit

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 09 May 2016, 21:15

Scorch715 wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Halstead wrote:Hm Ultramarines did well because they're adaptive/versatile rather than tying themselves down to a particular combat doctrine like certain chapters (for example: one that's all about melee and 'canines' and another is all about air/space mobility), right?

Unless of course you happen to be Uriel Ventris, in which case flexibility and adaptability get you into deep shit

not really, the charge was over Ventris going off to play "death watch commando" while his company fought the Tyranids. it was a pretty standard case for dereliction of duty really.

the US military defines it as "A service member who is derelict has willfully refused to perform his duties (or follow a given order) or has incapacitated himself in such a way that he cannot perform his duties. Such incapacitation includes the person falling asleep while on duty requiring wakefulness, his getting drunk or otherwise intoxicated and consequently being unable to perform his duties, shooting himself and thus being unable to perform any duty, or his vacating his post contrary to regulation"

note the last bit "or vacating his post contrary to regulation" Ventris' job was leading his company, not going off on some commando raid.

Return to “Adeptus Astartes”