To smurf or not to smurf?

Discuss the Space Marine fleet. There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.
Uksharazad87
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: To smurf or not to smurf?

Postby Uksharazad87 » 30 April 2016, 17:38

MadDemiurg wrote:Also, let's not forget that in cases where you lose your fleet, instead of "defeat" message you should get "your chapter has been wiped out" and the admiral profile should be deleted :D. Also, you only have a limited number of boarding torpedo shots you can miss :D (seriously, can anyone explain to me how sending one of the only 1000 members of the chapter in a torpedo through space is a good idea? I see it working with Orks, but SM... apart from the overall fact that a functional combat unit that is only 1000 strong is ridiculous at 40k scale).

Chapters may be 1000 strong, but strike cruisers usually carry upwards of 10-100 Marines, Battlebarges 100+. also Fluffily, SM never fired there boarding torpedoes unless they garantee'd a hit. In game.. I forsee thunderhawks being launched to pickup all the "misses" :P

Space marines dont actually crew the ship, apart from for EG, the captain (sometimes), master engineer (techpreist) the rest are chapter loyal Serfs :P How else would a chapter be able to field multiple battle barges while only being 1000 strong, each ship probably has a crew of 10k plus :3

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 30 April 2016, 21:51

keep in mind a space marine fleet may not represent a single chapter only, but a joint multi chapter strike force.

illathid

Postby illathid » 01 May 2016, 01:11

Or just not give a flying f#@k about the codex and have more than 1,000 marines like the Black Templars. :)

Thedrik

Postby Thedrik » 01 May 2016, 01:37

illathid wrote:Or just not give a flying f#@k about the codex and have more than 1,000 marines like the Black Templars. :)

But Grampa Smurf wrote the codex, how can we ignore it? :lol:

Kaistern

Postby Kaistern » 01 May 2016, 04:30

As a loyal son of Sanguinous, all I want for Christmas (and by that i mean ASAP) is a blood angel fleet :D

I don't care what the favors do, I just want to see a line of Blood angels ships. blood drops and angels, chalices and skulls!

Although i would hope that the favor would make us faster and more CC/boarding oriented. Keep true to the 40k TT style!

Glory to Sanguinious!

illathid

Postby illathid » 01 May 2016, 05:19

Thedrik wrote:
illathid wrote:Or just not give a flying f#@k about the codex and have more than 1,000 marines like the Black Templars. :)

But Grampa Smurf wrote the codex, how can we ignore it? :lol:

Row-boat Girly-man deserves none of the attention he gets. ;)

McNash

Postby McNash » 01 May 2016, 21:09

No default ultramarines please, personally I would prefer them to be the Astartes Praeses, which is the coalition of chapters in charge of guarding the Eye of Terror, and then you may choose specific chapters through Favours.

It can go this way:
-White Consuls, jack of all trades, Codex Astartes compliant, Ultramarines successor chapter.
-Excoriators, Imperial Fists successors, specialized in survival and attrition.
-Iron Talons, White Scars successors, so we can infer they play hit and run tactics.
-Reclaimers, very close to Adeptus Mechanicus and featured in the Ciaphas Cain series, probably have access to special upgrades.

I would like to see you guys helping me to develop special traits for each chapter.

McNash

Postby McNash » 01 May 2016, 21:15

Deuzerre wrote:Iron hands are often forgotten and could bring interesting favour.
Grey knights could also have very interesting bits because they're pretty unique
Black templars are a "space chapter", but I have no idea what they could bring.
Dark angels look cool.
Salamanders are the most "good guys" you can find for the SM, always trying to protect civilians. I'd really like them to be included.

Do agree with you, although I notice both Dark Angels, Grey Knights and Black Templars do excel in close combat.
-Maybe Grey Knight could be stealth, speed and divination powers due their psychically attuned traits
-Iron Hands are technology driven, so more upgrades and skills I guess.
-Dark Angels may use better bomber fighters and the Deathwing.
Not sure about what to give the Dark Templars aside from stronger close combat, maybe the bonus could go to boarding actions and upgrades to their macro-batteries. As for the Salamanders, yes, fire-based weaponry would be their main trait, improved melta torpedos maybe?

Kayvaan

Postby Kayvaan » 08 May 2016, 01:34

Why the hate on the UM? Anyway I would not mind having them in.

But I definitely want the Imperial fists in I wouldn't mine the blood ravens or the dark angels too.

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 08 May 2016, 06:32

Kayvaan wrote:Why the hate on the UM? Anyway I would not mind having them in.

But I definitely want the Imperial fists in I wouldn't mine the blood ravens or the dark angels too.

the hate for the Ultramarines springs from a few sources, first of all they're the codex posterboys, amd a decent segment of the population loves to hate on that type, "omg! they follow the rules and do well? I HATE THEM!" those players are useally the more embarassing space wolf and black templar fanboys.
you had a bit of this, then along came the 5th edition codex by Matt Ward, anyway the 5th edition codex was VERY ultramarines centric, and even had a line noting that even non Ultramarines sucessors looked up to Gulliman as a sort of "spiritual leige" that pretty much triggered reflexive Ultramarines hate that hasn't died down yet.

Return to “Adeptus Astartes”