It would be fun if each chapter got unique upgrades

Discuss the Space Marine fleet. There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.
Jerjare

It would be fun if each chapter got unique upgrades

Postby Jerjare » 09 October 2016, 17:52

I had been thinking about this for a long time. How cool would it be if each chapter got some unique upgrades?

Ultramarines: Jack of all trades- Advanced tactical cogitator upgrade further increases the duration of orders (exact amount can be tweaked for balance).
Force Commander- The Ultramarines can take more than one 'Chapter Master' favor. Only the first (the true Chapter Master) will benefit all other ships in play; additional ones are designated 'Force Commander' and the bonus only applies to that specific ship and do not stack.

Imperial Fists: Venerable hulls- AP effectiveness is reduced by 10 against SM ships. (Lances/bombers/torpedoes treat armor as 35, AP macros only reduce armor by 15)
Imperial Fleet- Imperial Fists may take Gothic class cruisers and Cobra gunships. These ships get Space Marine upgrades/favors, not IN ones.

Dark Angels: Deathwing 1st company- Terminator 1st company is now Deathwing 1st company, improving the ship's lightning strike to 2 attacks, at -10 troops for the target.
Interrogator Chaplain- Each failed boarding attack against the Dark Angel Master of Sanctity ship reduces 1 second off all your cooldowns.

Space Wolves: Wulfen- Every crew point in troops reduces the cooldown for regular boarding attacks by 1 second each time you sucessfully board an enemy ship.
Stormcaller- Chief Librarian's ship gives a passive accuracy penalty from enemy macro weapons for each crew point spent.

Blood Angels: Death Company- Thunderhawk gunships are now Death Company, getting 2x the boarding attempts per squadron.
Black Rage- Each crew point of squadron sergeant allows a strike craft that suffered lethal damage to continue fighting for an additional second before it is destroyed.

Ashardalon

Re: It would be fun if each chapter got unique upgrades

Postby Ashardalon » 09 October 2016, 18:24

and what drawbacks? because all of these are brokenly OP

ultramarines- follow the codex: if a boarding action doesn't hit the targeted system it doesn't do anything

imperial fists- a solid defence: +10hp -150 speed

dark angels- constant suspicion: your chaplain can decide to execute your captain at any moment (a 30% chance every 10sec)

space wolves- the teachings of russ: remove all weapons, +50% ramming damage, -2K detection range, the ship zigzags as if drunk

blood angels- red thirst: troop value can drop to 5 at any moment, increasing cooldown of all skills and weapons by 99.9% (50% chanse every 20 seconds) after first this causes hull breach and fires x8

there now its balanced
SM are fine as is, at MOST they need 150hp
anything more will break things
all of these things are just bad ideas

Harlequin

Postby Harlequin » 10 October 2016, 12:04

i was always thinking they get more unique abilitys by time in future patches. :o
Spoiler : :
Steam-Name: "Marilyn Manson"

"We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand."

"Death is my meat; terror my wine."

Ashardalon

Postby Ashardalon » 10 October 2016, 13:17

Harlequin wrote:i was always thinking they get more unique abilitys by time in future patches. :o

and make it like the TT? a new codex every month and each new one more OP then the last! yay :|
poor sisters will you ever get updated? will the old legions ever get the attention they deserve?
SM naval strategy vary's very little between chapters

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 10 October 2016, 14:42

Ashardalon wrote:
Harlequin wrote:i was always thinking they get more unique abilitys by time in future patches. :o

and make it like the TT? a new codex every month and each new one more OP then the last! yay :|
poor sisters will you ever get updated? will the old legions ever get the attention they deserve?
SM naval strategy vary's very little between chapters

Actually not true, naval strategy can vary heavily amongst chapters, including things like actual ship configurations and tactics. This just isn't represented in game, although it is to a degree in the TT with the customisation options and Crusade and Dominion fleets.
Reading the War of the Beast series though, when the Black Templars and Fists Exemplar are engaged in a fleet action, it specifically mentioned how the FE ships are built to hold territory, while the BT are swords for plunging into the enemy, making them pretty vulnerable when forced onto the defensive and boarded by the Orks.

Giving the space marines chapter based buffs is hardly going to make them OP given that the marines are one of the least competitive factions. Give the Ultramarines longer order duration, the Imperial Fists a defensive bonus, the Dark Angels a free Hunter destroyer, the Blood Angels a speed boost, and the Space Wolves a boarding buff. Nothing game changing, but certainly boosts the fluffiness of the chapters.

Ashardalon

Postby Ashardalon » 10 October 2016, 14:59

those sound more reasonable,but SM are not as weak as some think, they are slightly weak but can easily become brokenly OP ,especially if you take the BB's into consideration, give them 100hp more on C's and LC's and they will be more then strong enough
any other fluff buffs also need a weakness, like you said the chapter that was weak vs counterboarding, and then its fine
the original suggestions are just broken

Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » 10 October 2016, 19:32

The Dark Templar favor idea I had only affected lightning strikes and the master of sanctity favored ship. Imperial Fists get slightly tougher ships and access to 2 IN ships. Blood Angels get better carrier craft but you spend more points on these types of ships anyway. I hardly see how these types of perks are OP.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 11 October 2016, 13:36

Jerjare wrote:The Dark Templar favor idea I had only affected lightning strikes and the master of sanctity favored ship. Imperial Fists get slightly tougher ships and access to 2 IN ships. Blood Angels get better carrier craft but you spend more points on these types of ships anyway. I hardly see how these types of perks are OP.

Giving factions ships from other factions is sadly almost certainly never going to happen, also combined with the fact that that buff to for the IF makes very little sense. Like many of the oldest chapters, their fleet contains ships that don't conform to the Codex, left over from the Great Crusade or captured and refitted after. The Imperial Power is a Gothic-Class, yes, but that doesn't mean the Chapter have access to the class in general. By this logic, the Space Wolves should get an Emperor-Class battleship, which with Thunderhawks would be an utter rape machine for long range boarding. And I've got no idea why you want to give the IF Cobra Destroyers given that everyone already has Hunters.

Also those BA perks, giving Thunderhawks double the amount of boarding actions? How is that not OP given how many boarding actions SM can already launch? They'd become the new boarding torp spam, with the added bonus of being harder to stop thanks to that Black Rage perk letting the Thunderhawks carry on AFTER THEY'RE DEAD.

Giving all of these buffs for no cost and with equivalent for the other factions is definitely not balanced. Ashardalon's right, the SM fleet only really needs hp buffs for the cruisers and some minor fluffy faction specific perks and they'd be fine.

Ahzek Ahriman

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 17 October 2016, 06:17

Sniff sniff.
Loyalist fanboy detected.

And here I thought that my opinions on Chaos balance might be a bit biased sometimes.

I have another suggestion.

Ultramarines:
"ALL HAIL CODEX ASTARTES" ability. Ultrasmurfs chant lines from Codex Astartes through vox casters to all enemy ships in 15k vicinity triggering instant quadruple mutiny and causing most captains to gtfo into the warp.

Imperial Fists:
Angry Marine favour. Only available to Battle Barges in yellow colour (oh wait, they are all yellow :?). Replaces all lances/bombardment cannons with giant chainsaws and macro batteries with angry marine launchers. Ordnance bays are replaced with power battering rams, +500% ramming damage. +10 assault actions to lightning/boarding action, all automatically successful.

Dark Angels:
"THERE ARE FALLEN ANGELS THERE" abiity. Someone from outside the map shouts that there might be a fallen angel on board the targeted ship. All Dark Angel ships lightning strike the target from anywhere on the map and rip the ship apart triggering perma-crits on all systems and leaving it with 1 hp.

Space Furries:
Beard prows upgrade. Replaces prow ordnance bays with giant beards. Prow now has 150 armour (now enemy hits can heal the ship!). Also causes all enemy assault actions to get drunk and automatically fail.

Blood Angels:
Summon Necron Allies ability. Only available for ship with Chapter Master favour and level 3 in Dante. Summons the Necron fleet to smash your enemies into oblivion. Note that there are no Necrons in the game yet but that's not a problem, they can manipulate time and come here anyway. Summoned fleet deals +200% dmg if the enemy plays Tyranids.
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 17 November 2016, 11:35

Ahzek Ahriman wrote:Space Furries:
Beard prows upgrade. Replaces prow ordnance bays with giant beards. Prow now has 150 armour (now enemy hits can heal the ship!). Also causes all enemy assault actions to get drunk and automatically fail.

I WANT THAT AND I WANT THAT NOW! Wolf Lord Wulf Wolfson of the Battle Barge Wolfang will have his Ramming Beards and he will have them yesterday!
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Return to “Adeptus Astartes”