Page 1 of 6

Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:10
by Lucinator
Maybe its just me but I feel that the Space Marines really dont hold up well to the other races. Their DPs seems too low. And while I can run circles around A.I. I dont feel that that tactic would work well in multiplayer, too many counters to their ordinance and the tactics needed to use them. Also their ships are just too fragile. I'm also disappointed with how the chapters are really just paint schemes with no game-play impact, and will be irrelevant when custom colors comes in.

Thoughts?

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:22
by Bludfist
Lucinator wrote:Maybe its just me but I feel that the Space Marines really dont hold up well to the other races. Their DPs seems too low. And while I can run circles around A.I. I dont feel that that tactic would work well in multiplayer, too many counters to their ordinance and the tactics needed to use them. Also their ships are just too fragile. I'm also disappointed with how the chapters are really just paint schemes with no game-play impact, and will be irrelevant when custom colors comes in.

Thoughts?


I think your wrong

Every one see the vanguard strike cruiser and tries to brawl with them, the strike cruiser and ESPICALLY the mk 1 battle barge are the brawler ships

Vanguard is an ordinance ship spamming boarding torps


Did you expect each chapter to be diffrent? diffrent favors etc? why did people think their were going to be 20 different favors or something

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:29
by Imperator5
Yes they do but their early game weakness will be fixed I think.

You'll be fine once you reach battlebarge.

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:30
by Scorch715
Bludfist wrote:
Lucinator wrote:Maybe its just me but I feel that the Space Marines really dont hold up well to the other races. Their DPs seems too low. And while I can run circles around A.I. I dont feel that that tactic would work well in multiplayer, too many counters to their ordinance and the tactics needed to use them. Also their ships are just too fragile. I'm also disappointed with how the chapters are really just paint schemes with no game-play impact, and will be irrelevant when custom colors comes in.

Thoughts?


I think your wrong

Every one see the vanguard strike cruiser and tries to brawl with them, the strike cruiser and ESPICALLY the mk 1 battle barge are the brawler ships

Vanguard is an ordinance ship spamming boarding torps


Did you expect each chapter to be diffrent? diffrent favors etc? why did people think their were going to be 20 different favors or something


100% with Bludfist on this. After a rocky start with the Vanguards, I unlocked the Strike Cruiser and in a brawl its brilliant. You can essentially keep your enemy in a constant critical state of being on fire multiple times, and it just eats through hull points. I just have the Vanguard flying round making strafing runs while the cruiser tanks.

And I'm actually thankful the chapters offer no bonuses. It allows people to play their chosen chapter without worrying that another chapter's traits were superior.

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:39
by Bludfist
Scorch715 wrote:
100% with Bludfist on this. After a rocky start with the Vanguards, I unlocked the Strike Cruiser and in a brawl its brilliant. You can essentially keep your enemy in a constant critical state of being on fire multiple times, and it just eats through hull points. I just have the Vanguard flying round making strafing runs while the cruiser tanks.

And I'm actually thankful the chapters offer no bonuses. It allows people to play their chosen chapter without worrying that another chapter's traits were superior.

I cant speak too much about it cause i dont want to risk breaking NDA but the devs said they are aware the SM have a weak early game and have ideas on how to address it

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 20:44
by CALiGeR190
Bludfist wrote:I cant speak too much about it cause i dont want to risk breaking NDA but the devs said they are aware the SM have a weak early game and have ideas on how to address it

They have a weak early game? I think not.
As far as I'm concerned the Vanguards are awesome. Very weak to anything AP, but extremely powerful through their weapons, speed and boarding as a balancing factor. Anything which isn't AP just gets wrecked pretty much instantly.
I'm really not feeling any particular weakness with the space marines, nor am I really seeing anything blatantly OP, I think they are more or less golden for balance (Although I am a long-standing veteran of this game, so that may alter their actual effectiveness in my eyes).

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 22:14
by Lucinator
I still feel like the SM strengths are too easily countered through strategy. (ie stasis field vanguards, and stealth from strike cruisers and so on) but will have to see how it plays out in multiplayer.

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 22:20
by warsinger2
Vanguards suck, escorts are....expensive, it starts to get good with your first real strike cruiser. I thought the same, oh my they suck but try torp vanguards (even without homing boarding torps) and then get regular strike cruisers, it gets much better from then on.

SM are not like other factions, ork light cruisers kick ass, so do IN and eldar and chaos once are nasty too, SM light cruisers however are ....meh to say it nicely and escorts, as said, earlier, too expensive.......

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 23:28
by Demoulius
Marines dont suck per se. It depends on what you try to do with them honestly. Try to brawl with their Vanguards and then yea, they suck for that. Thats also not what they are intended for and I dont think any faction uses its light cruisers to brawl once normal cruisers hit the field? :|

They are support vessels if id were to give any designation. Take the torp variant, pick boarding torps and fly around dispensing justice with Thunderhawks and homing torpedoes :lol: their broadsides are god awfull and even the SM's their escorts outdamage those. So use them as a nice alternative weapon in case you need to but focus on their strengths, which are causing boarding and hit and run actions.

Also, due to armor they ARE effective rammers against other light cruisers. With brace for impact coupled with your high armor you take little to no damage at all. Even when getting rammed! Its awesome! :lol: mind you avoid rams from bigger ships :shock: those still hurt!

Re: Do space marines suck?

Posted: 21 June 2016, 23:36
by Imperator5
Support vessels need something to support. Without that they are not a good idea.

Yeah, Vanguards are the worst cruisers ever. They got 2 dps all around.

DAuntless got 7 dps front or 8 dps side.

Hellbringers got 6 all around or 8 on the side, with 2 dps being ap.

Both got 200 more health.