When do we get the cool Space Marine Chapters?

Discuss the Space Marine fleet. There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.
Kadaeux

Re: When do we get the cool Space Marine Chapters?

Postby Kadaeux » 21 June 2016, 10:05

Formosa wrote:Scars: Very Fast ships, cruisers are more heavily armed than the battleships and the battleships are just there to soak damage, a custom system like the orks would fit the scars quite well.

A: Nothing i've seen indicates the White Scars ships have ANY hardware or doctrinal differences to standard Astartes vessels.

Raven guard: Stealth ships, very very good stealth ships, id even go as far as to say similar abilities to the eldar, so auto emission drives, they can all ahead without reveal, and id give them a similar burst all ahead too.

Not particularly rare.
A: The Eldar are not technically stealth ships. Technically they're the opposite of stealth ships. (They throw out emissions across whole spectra, including holographic versions of ships with actual mass and thermal readings including psychic signatures.) Though the Dark Eldar do more stealth by disguise.
B: The only really good stealth ships in the Imperium are the Kill-Ships (Which use actual cloaking devices and are fully automated with zero crew to prevent psychic detection.) but those are never used in fleet engagements. (Literally never, they're a platform for the stealthy deployment of exterminatus weapons.)
C: Raven Guard may be stealthy, but they're not magically as skilled at it as Stealth.

Dark angels : have a lot of Imperial Navy and HH ships still in service, most notably in the newest dark angels book, they have a retribution and Emperor class ship, belonging to the angels of abosolution (so dark angels), this could make for a good mixed fleet, they also have access to weapons that the imperium at large simply do not have anymore, like meson beams, particle accelerators etc. it would likely just be a different looking beam on the dark angel ships, but otherwise the same as macros (that are missile, lasers etc.)

Blood angels: pretty much as you say, I haven't read anything that shows they divert from the standard astartes fleet make up.

Wolves: Wow, these guys have all sorts, several Xenos ships, lots of Imperial Vessels, chaos vessels and of course, astartes vessels, they basically loot any ship they manage to capture, the space wolf captains are noted as not working well together, they tend to storm off alone and pick an enemy ships and "hound" it, deploy the wolves and then batter the ship into submission... that's another ship added to the fleet.

All three are already part of the Marines DLC.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 21 June 2016, 10:37

Kadaeux wrote:B: The only really good stealth ships in the Imperium are the Kill-Ships (Which use actual cloaking devices and are fully automated with zero crew to prevent psychic detection.) but those are never used in fleet engagements. (Literally never, they're a platform for the stealthy deployment of exterminatus weapons.)

I may be completely wrong, but during the Horus Heresy the Dark Angels had a cruiser called the Dark Sovereign from the Dark Age of Technology that had stealth capabilities that it used during the Xana Incursion. Not arguing with any of the points you've made, just curious if the Dark Sovereign was actually a stealth ship

Formosa

Postby Formosa » 21 June 2016, 10:39

Kadaeux wrote:
Formosa wrote:Scars: Very Fast ships, cruisers are more heavily armed than the battleships and the battleships are just there to soak damage, a custom system like the orks would fit the scars quite well.

A: Nothing i've seen indicates the White Scars ships have ANY hardware or doctrinal differences to standard Astartes vessels.

Raven guard: Stealth ships, very very good stealth ships, id even go as far as to say similar abilities to the eldar, so auto emission drives, they can all ahead without reveal, and id give them a similar burst all ahead too.

Not particularly rare.
A: The Eldar are not technically stealth ships. Technically they're the opposite of stealth ships. (They throw out emissions across whole spectra, including holographic versions of ships with actual mass and thermal readings including psychic signatures.) Though the Dark Eldar do more stealth by disguise.
B: The only really good stealth ships in the Imperium are the Kill-Ships (Which use actual cloaking devices and are fully automated with zero crew to prevent psychic detection.) but those are never used in fleet engagements. (Literally never, they're a platform for the stealthy deployment of exterminatus weapons.)
C: Raven Guard may be stealthy, but they're not magically as skilled at it as Stealth.

Dark angels : have a lot of Imperial Navy and HH ships still in service, most notably in the newest dark angels book, they have a retribution and Emperor class ship, belonging to the angels of abosolution (so dark angels), this could make for a good mixed fleet, they also have access to weapons that the imperium at large simply do not have anymore, like meson beams, particle accelerators etc. it would likely just be a different looking beam on the dark angel ships, but otherwise the same as macros (that are missile, lasers etc.)

Blood angels: pretty much as you say, I haven't read anything that shows they divert from the standard astartes fleet make up.

Wolves: Wow, these guys have all sorts, several Xenos ships, lots of Imperial Vessels, chaos vessels and of course, astartes vessels, they basically loot any ship they manage to capture, the space wolf captains are noted as not working well together, they tend to storm off alone and pick an enemy ships and "hound" it, deploy the wolves and then batter the ship into submission... that's another ship added to the fleet.

All three are already part of the Marines DLC.

Yeah that's cool you cant find it, I read near every book GW releases, the only instances we have of scars warfare in space are in "scars" and the follow up novel, as they have not changed much since the heresy (in the novels) in terms of doctrine, its safe to say that the naval aspect would remain the same, as they have the same ships since the heresy, so until directly contradicted by fluff, its a safe bet to assume that the scars fight the same way they always have (like the dark angels, wolves etc.)

I wasn't aware that the marine DLC will allow imperial and chaos ships in the dark angel and wolves fleets? if so, very cool.

Cyke

Postby Cyke » 21 June 2016, 11:05

Since an army painter option is coming soon, the only addition we really need is the ability to upload custom insignia (as we can see from the BFG Astartes trailer, the Chapter insignia is visible on their ships).

That way you can, for example, paint your ships white and use the White Scars symbol.

For White Scars, just kit your ships out with upgrades like enhanced Combustion Gauge and max speed upgrades.. for Raven Guard, use baffled combustion maneuvers and increased Silent Running Duration, etc.
Assuming the game is balanced enough that those strategies are workable (with a good intelligent player), then I think that's quite sufficient.

Only thing missing is Blood Ravens. THOSE guys need a special mechanic.
If your final blow to any enemy ship is from an Assault Action, you get to add it to your fleet. :P

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 21 June 2016, 11:48

Scorch715 wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:B: The only really good stealth ships in the Imperium are the Kill-Ships (Which use actual cloaking devices and are fully automated with zero crew to prevent psychic detection.) but those are never used in fleet engagements. (Literally never, they're a platform for the stealthy deployment of exterminatus weapons.)

I may be completely wrong, but during the Horus Heresy the Dark Angels had a cruiser called the Dark Sovereign from the Dark Age of Technology that had stealth capabilities that it used during the Xana Incursion. Not arguing with any of the points you've made, just curious if the Dark Sovereign was actually a stealth ship

Oh i'm not saying there isn't stealth technology in the Imperium. Indeed there is the Empyrean Mantle (a semi-cloaking device sortof) etc from Rogue Trader. I'm just saying it wouldn't be equal to the Eldar's best by a long shot. (Let alone the Necrons best which makes the Eldar look primitive)

Formosa

Postby Formosa » 21 June 2016, 12:44

Kadaeux wrote:
Scorch715 wrote:

Oh i'm not saying there isn't stealth technology in the Imperium. Indeed there is the Empyrean Mantle (a semi-cloaking device sortof) etc from Rogue Trader. I'm just saying it wouldn't be equal to the Eldar's best by a long shot. (Let alone the Necrons best which makes the Eldar look primitive)

The Raven Guard had some pretty good stealth tech, turning the void shields inside out, stopping any kind of emissions escaping into space, making them near invisible, it would even likely make them invisible to the naked eye, since all radiation is blocked.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 21 June 2016, 13:05

Formosa wrote:The Raven Guard had some pretty good stealth tech, turning the void shields inside out, stopping any kind of emissions escaping into space, making them near invisible, it would even likely make them invisible to the naked eye, since all radiation is blocked.

Thats new (or incredibly old in 40k's case). Have you got a source on that?

Azrael

Postby Azrael » 21 June 2016, 13:08

I know it was mentioned in one of the Horus Heresy audio books, though I can't recall which one exactly.

It isn't exactly turning the void shields inside out, but the system uses the same generators as the void shields so the ship is vulnerable and has no protection in the event it is discovered.

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 21 June 2016, 13:32

EmpNortonII wrote:I can't help but ask, since the three coolest Founding Chapters (Salamanders, Raven Guard, and White Scars) aren't included. Also of note is that, with there being 1000 Chapters, all of the ones included *are* Founding Chapters, despite the fact there are at least two (Carcharodon Astra and Minotaurs) that are infinitely more awesome than any of the Founding Chapters.

For the unfamiliar, the Minotaurs are the favored hitmen of the High Lords of Terra, whose Chapter Master is probably a robot. The Carcharodons once blew up a planet for farts and giggles while loyalist Space Marines were fighting renegades. Afterward, they had the entire male population of a planet fight to the death in gladiator-style combat so they could pick a few hundred to become new Carcharodons.

Actually, could we just get the Badab War as a new campaign?

Just gonna say mephiston....

kcswanson

Postby kcswanson » 21 June 2016, 14:10

Azrael wrote:I know it was mentioned in one of the Horus Heresy audio books, though I can't recall which one exactly.

It isn't exactly turning the void shields inside out, but the system uses the same generators as the void shields so the ship is vulnerable and has no protection in the event it is discovered.

And if it was in a HH audio book its likely not still around.

Return to “Adeptus Astartes”