Some Eldar Thoughts

Share your superior strategies. For kaela mensha khaine!
aetaosraukeres

Re: Some Eldar Thoughts

Postby aetaosraukeres » 20 April 2016, 16:32

HERO wrote:
aetaosraukeres wrote:
HERO wrote:> Pulsars, I've literally made a billion threads about this, so I'll hold off on explaining it. I just think that 24 (8x3) / 8 sec reload regular lance weapon would make for much better gameplay.

I think a longer casting time would be much better. The pulsar will do the same damage but it takes much more time to deliver.
Frontal attacks would end in a ram before the puslar is finished. As eldar you have to manoeuvre your ships to attack from the side or rear to get the best out of the Pulsar

So you want the current Hit and Wait faction to Hit and Wait Longer? Sounds awful.

How would that change promote hit and wait longer?

HERO

Postby HERO » 20 April 2016, 16:40

aetaosraukeres wrote:
HERO wrote:
aetaosraukeres wrote:
I think a longer casting time would be much better. The pulsar will do the same damage but it takes much more time to deliver.
Frontal attacks would end in a ram before the puslar is finished. As eldar you have to manoeuvre your ships to attack from the side or rear to get the best out of the Pulsar

So you want the current Hit and Wait faction to Hit and Wait Longer? Sounds awful.

How would that change promote hit and wait longer?

Sorry, I read that as cooldown.

But re-reading this in more clarity, I object to this proposal as well as it's even more fluff rape then we have now. The current version of Pulsars is already bad enough.

If you want to take advantage of Eldar's ability to manoevure around to attack from the sides and rare, then something needs to be done with Holo-fields first. I think one Holos have changed, it would intrinsically give Eldar players a bigger reason to attack from different positions as intended by the fluff.

aetaosraukeres

Postby aetaosraukeres » 20 April 2016, 16:52

HERO wrote:But re-reading this in more clarity, I object to this proposal as well as it's even more fluff rape then we have now. The current version of Pulsars is already bad enough.

The good thing about fluff is, ive seen enough retcons i just ignore fluff.
esp for this rts like computer game that is trying to emulate a turn and dice based board game.
Maybe you should be a little bit more liberal with the fluff

HERO wrote:If you want to take advantage of Eldar's ability to manoevure around to attack from the sides and rare, then something needs to be done with Holo-fields first. I think one Holos have changed, it would intrinsically give Eldar players a bigger reason to attack from different positions as intended by the fluff.

Well i think its rather obvious that the holofield has some advantages that should be toned down.
But with the current pulsar implementation, you could still melt a light cruiser in one go. With my idea, you still can do it if you manage to catch it from behind

HERO

Postby HERO » 20 April 2016, 16:56

aetaosraukeres wrote:The good thing about fluff is, ive seen enough retcons i just ignore fluff.
esp for this rts like computer game that is trying to emulate a turn and dice based board game.

Except in this particular case, the more accurate fluff implementation of the Pulsar would not only increase the skill needed to play the faction, but it would also solve the issue of instantly exploding a cruiser :) It's pretty win-win.

Carl

Postby Carl » 20 April 2016, 17:43

Not sure your dps calculations are correct. Pulsar is 3*30 = 90 damage every 30 seconds. So 3 raw dps, not 4.5. Or 2.25 if you factor in armour. 4.5 is the total actual aurora dps.

Also do not agree about Aurora being too good.

It's the cheapest way to get pulsar for eldar, but it not that much cheaper in terms of pulsar per point than other pulsar ships. It's also the most fragile cruiser with 2 skillshots. With 1 pulsar it would not be competitive. Maybe bumping up its cost a bit would be justified, like to 120 or 125 points, but definitely not removing half of its firepower (especially if pulsar are toned down).

I'd have to double check but i thought the CD was 20 seconds. Could have mis-remembered though when i wrote that from memory and my ships are upgraded so yeah.

I'll try and get shadowplay working again :).

Minimum tomorrow, maybe day after before you get anything though as it will take an overnight to upload even in bad quality. Only get about 15k up.

MadDemiurg

Postby MadDemiurg » 20 April 2016, 19:56

Carl wrote:
Not sure your dps calculations are correct. Pulsar is 3*30 = 90 damage every 30 seconds. So 3 raw dps, not 4.5. Or 2.25 if you factor in armour. 4.5 is the total actual aurora dps.

Also do not agree about Aurora being too good.

It's the cheapest way to get pulsar for eldar, but it not that much cheaper in terms of pulsar per point than other pulsar ships. It's also the most fragile cruiser with 2 skillshots. With 1 pulsar it would not be competitive. Maybe bumping up its cost a bit would be justified, like to 120 or 125 points, but definitely not removing half of its firepower (especially if pulsar are toned down).

I'd have to double check but i thought the CD was 20 seconds. Could have mis-remembered though when i wrote that from memory and my ships are upgraded so yeah.

I'll try and get shadowplay working again :).

Minimum tomorrow, maybe day after before you get anything though as it will take an overnight to upload even in bad quality. Only get about 15k up.

Base cooldown is 30 sec.

Well, you can get it to 20.4 seconds by using leveled spirit stones + reload order. It's a bit questionalbe that they affect pulsar, but at least in case of reload order it's a tradeoff between using it and some other order like Lock On. If 25% dps boost is a balanced option compared to 100% crit rate boost is another question, but spirit stones are freebee dps more or less. I don't think balancing around them is a good idea though, maybe it's better to make pulsar cooldown fixed instead.

GrenAcid

Postby GrenAcid » 20 April 2016, 22:55

aetaosraukeres wrote:The good thing about fluff is, ive seen enough retcons i just ignore fluff.

To break with the fluff is to break with faith.

Jokes aside I dont know how you guys do it but as far as I experienced Eldar gameplay there is little attacking from sides or rear(that happend like 5 times when AI was stupid enough to chase my damaged Aurora and 4 other ships followed fleet and kill all) most of the time I run away from rams, bombs, torpedos ect gain distance, turn 180, pulsar/torpedo all I can, vault 180 back and run away more.
Hardly exciting after 10 battles. Ocasionaly I manage to close on lone ship and bucher it(unless vs Eldar).
For some reason extended pulsar range dont work on all ships...or im bad with range and didnt notice diffrence so far.

Return to “Eldar Corsairs”