Zzap fleet viability?

Wot is da best way to blow up gitz? DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!
Lothair

Zzap fleet viability?

Postby Lothair » 01 May 2016, 15:10

Hey guys,

After getting frustrated fr the first time in this game while playing O vs E I've been thinking how to re-spec the fleet into something different.

Most player don't want to get near Orkz, so why not try something like this:

- Max Zzaps on everything (I use to play with a Torp fleet and Heavies on the side)
- Probes/Augur
- Tanky upgrades Hull/Shields/Squigs
- Favour? - Bad Moon for the additional chance to crit?
- AP Savages support

I know it's not the best option out there but it may fool some players, as most today expect only one playstyle from the Orks and it should be fun:

Set prioryty one, - whole fleet auto0hits the target with Zzaps + Savages when the opponent gets close.

BTW which upgrades work well with Zzaps?

Psykmoe

Re: Zzap fleet viability?

Postby Psykmoe » 01 May 2016, 15:21

You mention an ork vs Eldar match bringing this on.

Sure, Zzaps have good alpha, but remember that holofields negate up to 80% of all lance hits at full effectiveness.

I don't know how good Zzaps are in a vacuum, but I'm not sure they'd be better than your prow pea shooters versus Eldar specifically.

MadDemiurg

Postby MadDemiurg » 01 May 2016, 15:58

It MIGHT be decent vs chaos.

VS Orks - you will get brutally murdered by kannon fleet.
VS Eldar - Holofields block lances very well. Detection is also a problem, you still need to get close.
VS IN - IN brawler fleet will most likely murder you as well, although not as brutally as other orks. IN artillery fleet... well dunno.
VS Chaos - Might be decent vs kiting Chaos fleet although detection still might be a problem is they use camo. Nurgle brawlers might be tough.

Overall I see no point in building a fleet which is bad in most MUs. I might see a point in having 1 zzap ship which you only use in MUs that are suited for it, then again 1 zzap ship is not doing much. Imo if lotsa guns were not be as crappy as they are and zzaps had a better crit rate (you're unlikely to kill anyone with them, but you might take out the engine) they might see some use. RIght now zzap ships suck in melee (because all stock weapons are trash) and are only "ok" at range.

Lothair

Postby Lothair » 01 May 2016, 17:46

Psykmoe wrote:You mention an ork vs Eldar match bringing this on.

Sure, Zzaps have good alpha, but remember that holofields negate up to 80% of all lance hits at full effectiveness.

Thanks for all the repies. I thought that Holo's block 50% of incoming attacks, if 80% than it's still not the best solution.

I was looking for a way for some way to cause dmg without the damn 3k distance...

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 01 May 2016, 18:30

The short answer to that is no.

The longer answer is that you don't get enough of them, and they don't have a big enough impact, to justify spending the Kustom points and building a fleet around it. If you could get batteries of Zzap Kannons that fired faster than the current one, then yes I'd say its a very viable fleet build, but right now I'd just recommend going for as many Mega Kannons as possible with one or two carriers for fighter cover and A-Boat support thrown in here and there.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

Fr33Th1nk3r

Postby Fr33Th1nk3r » 01 May 2016, 21:14

Me tried all Zzap, just get smashed. Went full Dakka wit front Kannon. Now me do da smashin! WAAAGH!
"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot."
- Carl Sagan

Lucifronsun

Postby Lucifronsun » 01 May 2016, 22:58

Lothair wrote:Hey guys,

After getting frustrated fr the first time in this game while playing O vs E I've been thinking how to re-spec the fleet into something different.

Most player don't want to get near Orkz, so why not try something like this:

- Max Zzaps on everything (I use to play with a Torp fleet and Heavies on the side)
- Probes/Augur
- Tanky upgrades Hull/Shields/Squigs
- Favour? - Bad Moon for the additional chance to crit?
- AP Savages support

I think you were a little misinformed when you made this post, as that'd fair far worse in the matchup you supposedly built it for.

I know it's not the best option out there but it may fool some players

That's an understatement, it's terrible, don't do this.

as most today expect only one playstyle from the Orks and it should be fun:

There is a reason everyone expects one playstyle from orks, that's because there is only one playstyle. Ork bombers are shit, so offensive carriers are out, lotsa guns and zzaps are shit too.

Set prioryty one, - whole fleet auto0hits the target with Zzaps + Savages when the opponent gets close.

Zzaps are terrible, terrible damage, do not even acknowledge their existence. I'm telling you this as a (very successful) fellow ork player, and as your buddy, don't touch them.

BTW which upgrades work well with Zzaps?

None, don't take them, don't even dare upgrade them.

Psykmoe

Postby Psykmoe » 02 May 2016, 00:21

So if I understand it correctly, Zzaps take too long to reload for the damage they do (inferior to Dauntless prow lance damage over time) and considering that the default ork broadsides are poor, using kustom points on Zzaps is a questionable investment/high opportunity cost?

I mean, an ork kroozer with a Zzap gun is just a Murder with worse broadsides and mobility but a torpedo launcher, and a battlecruiser with two Zzaps is just a clumsy Hades except half the lances on the Hades have 270 degrees and not just 90 front.

And nobody sings the praises of the Murder/Hades, I guess.

Lucifronsun

Postby Lucifronsun » 02 May 2016, 00:30

Psykmoe wrote:So if I understand it correctly, Zzaps take too long to reload for the damage they do (inferior to Dauntless prow lance damage over time) and considering that the default ork broadsides are poor, using kustom points on Zzaps is a questionable investment/high opportunity cost?

It's more than a questionable investment, it amounts to gimping yourself at higher levels of play.

I mean, an ork kroozer with a Zzap gun is just a Murder with worse broadsides and mobility but a torpedo launcher, and a battlecruiser with two Zzaps is just a clumsy Hades except half the lances on the Hades have 270 degrees and not just 90 front.

And nobody sings the praises of the Murder/Hades, I guess.

There's a reason the murder and the hades are the two worst chaos ships.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 02 May 2016, 02:22

hey man i know you generally dislike the 300% crit chance upgrade but what about in the hands of ork ships with zzzaps high crit chance with max master gunner?
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Return to “Ork Pirate Fleets”