Ork weapons; halve the dmg, double the fire rate

Wot is da best way to blow up gitz? DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!
Anuri
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: Ork weapons; halve the dmg, double the fire rate

Postby Anuri » 01 April 2016, 19:05

HERO wrote:
Adrmial Seraph wrote:It was a knee jerk reaction patch, in essence. Orks were smothering win rates and Imperials just couldn't kite or fight them head on.

That lead to a rather extreme patch which really highlights the issue of slow fire+huge RNG=sacky, unfun and sort of unfair which is kind of a check list for what not to do.

Perhaps, but I really want to hear a developer response why they feel that 144 damage guns is good for gameplay?

Must be the same guy who thought Activated Pulsars was good too.

Activated pulsars is a good idea actually

Adrmial Seraph

Postby Adrmial Seraph » 01 April 2016, 19:13

Anuri wrote:
HERO wrote:
Adrmial Seraph wrote:It was a knee jerk reaction patch, in essence. Orks were smothering win rates and Imperials just couldn't kite or fight them head on.

That lead to a rather extreme patch which really highlights the issue of slow fire+huge RNG=sacky, unfun and sort of unfair which is kind of a check list for what not to do.

Perhaps, but I really want to hear a developer response why they feel that 144 damage guns is good for gameplay?

As long as they can be set to autocast, sure.

HERO

Postby HERO » 01 April 2016, 19:16

Adrmial Seraph wrote:
Anuri wrote:
HERO wrote:

First, I'm interested in why you think activated Pulsars is a good idea. I think we need another thread for this.

Then, I'd like to say that setting them to auto-cast is probably not good if you want to make more precise strikes on specific ships.

Adrmial Seraph

Postby Adrmial Seraph » 01 April 2016, 19:31

HERO wrote:
Adrmial Seraph wrote:
Anuri wrote:

First, I'm interested in why you think activated Pulsars is a good idea. I think we need another thread for this.

Then, I'd like to say that setting them to auto-cast is probably not good if you want to make more precise strikes on specific ships.

Because auto cast would simulate it not being an active ability. I couldn't imagine pulsars being pure cast. That sounds hilariously awful.

Zephyranthes

Postby Zephyranthes » 03 April 2016, 07:53

Random input since i'm not totally following your discussion: Maybe they intend for Orks to have the ability to wreck face when they get in their ranges, but also possibly do not as much or nothing. Orks also have this "perk" of having half their fleet randomly want to warp out, so maybe it's intended to be a very RNG-y faction? Depends how TT has Orks playing, and also how exactly they can implement that for an RTS if at all. High alpha RNG when in range but slow and less mobile getting to said range? I could agree it's not the best of player experiences for either side.

LordSmurf

Postby LordSmurf » 03 April 2016, 08:36

Ork Flingz now fire twice faster than before, and their damages and critical hit chances have been divided by 2.

That's from the actual Patch Notes. Did they miss the tooltips? Because it shows Mega-Kannon with 144Dmg/12sec and not with 72Dmg/6sec. Or did i read the Patch Notes wrong?

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 03 April 2016, 08:41

Zephyranthes wrote: so maybe it's intended to be a very RNG-y faction? Depends how TT has Orks playing,

in table top 40k Orks are indeed a VERY RNG-y army. this applies in BFG and "standard 40k" (in BFG ork weapon strength is random. an Imperial Macro battery was typically strength 4 or 6, Orks "macro batteries" where strength D6) so yeah Orks being the most RNG-y faction is accurate.

Also Orks being most vunerable to morale issues is also about right, weak leadership is part of the package for Orks, it's one of their intended weaknesses

warsinger2

Postby warsinger2 » 03 April 2016, 08:42

Bludfist wrote:yes one thing that this game needs, espically for orks is less reliance on rng

Facepalm, orks is all about rng in both realms warhammer fantasy and 40k basically orks invented rng.... Ork style is RANDOM! Anything can happen!

If you want consistency play something else.

Deuzerre

Postby Deuzerre » 03 April 2016, 08:47

Personal opinion: Increasing the fire rate of small guns makes sense and halving the damage makes a lot of sense (dakka dakka dakka, more "reliable" through numbers of shots, etc...), but for the bigger guns, it is un-orky. They may like to shoot a lot, but they're messy in their way of doing it, require teamwork from the krew to load and arm these guns. Having a mix of "reliable continuous damage at short range but unreliable bang with bigger guns is IMO a bit more interesting.
"Common sense isn't as common as the name would imply"

Zephyranthes

Postby Zephyranthes » 03 April 2016, 08:55

BrianDavion wrote:
Zephyranthes wrote: so maybe it's intended to be a very RNG-y faction? Depends how TT has Orks playing,
Also Orks being most vunerable to morale issues is also about right, weak leadership is part of the package for Orks, it's one of their intended weaknesses
Weaknesses are fine, but people tend to want some exploitable strength to go along with that and it seems pretty hard to come across.

Return to “Ork Pirate Fleets”