Ork weapons; halve the dmg, double the fire rate

Wot is da best way to blow up gitz? DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!
Beernchips

Re: Ork weapons; halve the dmg, double the fire rate

Postby Beernchips » 03 April 2016, 21:34

par HERO » 03 avril 2016, 22:45

Beernchips a écrit :
par HERO » 03 avril 2016, 21:56

Beernchips a écrit :
In additon, it is a misconception of thinking Orks are only about shooting a lot of low efficiency weapons and hoping they hit something. They have also access to someof the most powerful weapons because they love the big guns destroying everything.

The gunz are here for the dakka, the kannons with high damage, low RoF and low accuracy are here for the big boom

But is it good for gameplay is what you should be asking yourself. Is it fun for either player if the gun is doing outrageous damage, or none at all?

Yes it is. Some players have fun when there is randomness in the game either in their side or in enemy side. Others have no fun when randomness is involved.
Reducing the randomness with more linear damage output will please some players and will bored others because each player is different

Excellent point, and I agree fully with your assessment.

Now, do you think that the current design of the weapons in terms of RNG is better for online competitive play?

At first i would say no because i always had difficulties to join randomness and competitive play.
But since ultra random games such as Hearthstone has quite a high competitive scene I think, for competition, randomness is less important than overall balance, the strategic depth (number of different competitive builds and ability to counterbuilds) and the tactical layers (ability to outplay opponent during the game) of the game
Repent, for tomorrow you die

HERO

Postby HERO » 03 April 2016, 22:23

Beernchips wrote:
par HERO » 03 avril 2016, 22:45

Beernchips a écrit :
par HERO » 03 avril 2016, 21:56

Beernchips a écrit :
In additon, it is a misconception of thinking Orks are only about shooting a lot of low efficiency weapons and hoping they hit something. They have also access to someof the most powerful weapons because they love the big guns destroying everything.

The gunz are here for the dakka, the kannons with high damage, low RoF and low accuracy are here for the big boom

But is it good for gameplay is what you should be asking yourself. Is it fun for either player if the gun is doing outrageous damage, or none at all?

Yes it is. Some players have fun when there is randomness in the game either in their side or in enemy side. Others have no fun when randomness is involved.
Reducing the randomness with more linear damage output will please some players and will bored others because each player is different

Excellent point, and I agree fully with your assessment.

Now, do you think that the current design of the weapons in terms of RNG is better for online competitive play?

At first i would say no because i always had difficulties to join randomness and competitive play.
But since ultra random games such as Hearthstone has quite a high competitive scene I think, for competition, randomness is less important than overall balance, the strategic depth (number of different competitive builds and ability to counterbuilds) and the tactical layers (ability to outplay opponent during the game) of the game

I agree with you that overall balance is more important than reducing randomness overall, and on the point that good play and decision making reduces random elements overall.

However, when it comes to this particular case, I would say that the highest degree of randomness that results in an unfun player experience, is also tied with the faction's core design itself. The Orkz want to close to do their damage: Their most damaging ranges are that 3-6k zone where the fighting is the fiercest.

This particular random element, referring to the damage spike potential that results in either wasted shots or dead ships, will be exposed a greater number of times more. While I'm completely accepting that random elements exist that can lead to a potential player experience can happen in this game, the more we can reduce these situations from happening the better. The last thing you want in a game, regardless of it being competitive or not, is the amount of frustration that will occur from generally unfun mechanics. After all, what good is a game if it's unfun and frustrating to the user? That's the problem with the 144 damage or nothing weapon.

Someuntrustworthygit

Postby Someuntrustworthygit » 28 June 2016, 20:44

Kind of have have to use both kustom points on kannonz? FUCK YOU!!! but srsly, although gunz have half the dps they have many other strengths, such as range, constant dps rather than small bursts, accuracy, and with the new update it paramounts these strengths, including the more dakka upgrade that increases their dps by 50%, doing 3/4 of the dps of kannonz.

Return to “Ork Pirate Fleets”