The Desolater post release; is it underwhelming?

Share your heretic strategies. Death to the false Emperor!
Bludfist

The Desolater post release; is it underwhelming?

Postby Bludfist » 22 April 2016, 12:35

So we all know that the desolater was bugged for the longest and post release the devs changed it so that i no longer has merged lance batteries and gave it default batteries instead

Now that the ship no longer has macros it feels underwhelming to me, i dont know the dmg dps wiser but the despoiler still feels like it out puts more dmg an has more utility
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Gerver

Re: The Desolater post release; is it underwhelming?

Postby Gerver » 22 April 2016, 12:43

Bludfist wrote:So we all know that the desolater was bugged for the longest and post release the devs changed it so that i no longer has merged lance batteries and gave it default batteries instead

Now that the ship no longer has macros it feels underwhelming to me, i dont know the dmg dps wiser but the despoiler still feels like it out puts more dmg an has more utility

Deso with his broken broadsides was the worst BS before patch, 6 lances is what acheron bring on field with missile and macro, and deso is 6 lances and 2 missiles, even retrubiton better than this crap ship.
I wrote about it but everyone was too busy crying about eldars and "how weak Imperial Navy are"

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 22 April 2016, 12:43

I agree with this for it being lore-inaccurate if nothing else, but it does also effect performance.
Much prefer if it had dorsal weapon batteries (like the 'real' thing) and the lance batteries.
Harder to upgrade the weapon systems, but more DPS and versatility, as I do feel this ship is now worse off than the Retribution (which I still want to see a buff for, 15 dmg is a start, but I won't settle for less than 18).
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

warsinger2

Postby warsinger2 » 22 April 2016, 13:32

CALiGeR190 wrote:I agree with this for it being lore-inaccurate if nothing else, but it does also effect performance.
Much prefer if it had dorsal weapon batteries (like the 'real' thing) and the lance batteries.
Harder to upgrade the weapon systems, but more DPS and versatility, as I do feel this ship is now worse off than the Retribution (which I still want to see a buff for, 15 dmg is a start, but I won't settle for less than 18).

A more lore accurate Desolator would be:

3x 1 DPS Lances per broad side 12k range (no change)
1x dorsal heavy macro cannon turret
8x torpedoes (no change)
no missile turrets/launchers

188 speed

Carl

Postby Carl » 22 April 2016, 13:48

Yeah when it had those broadside batteries it was completely on par with the despoiler. And i'd say thats a well balanced BB overall. Haven't had chance to re-grind anything yet though.

duck_bird

Postby duck_bird » 22 April 2016, 14:39

On tabletop the Desolator never put out that much damage. It had about the same firepower as a heavy cruiser. Its strength came from the fact that it was a battleship (so good turrets, 4 shields, etc) as fast as a chaos cruiser!

Take away the Desolator's speed, and it's a pretty sub par ship!
Non Compos Mentis

https://www.twitch.tv/duck_bird

I stream sometimes idk

Gerver

Postby Gerver » 22 April 2016, 14:49

duck_bird wrote:On tabletop the Desolator never put out that much damage. It had about the same firepower as a heavy cruiser. Its strength came from the fact that it was a battleship (so good turrets, 4 shields, etc) as fast as a chaos cruiser!

I am sure when people pay for BattleShip they want and they expect FIREPOWER and they dont care about TT (because GW dont know about balance, look at Decurion, Eldrad, Riptide, Paladins, Mefiston, Helldrakes etc), not Fat & Fast Cruiser.

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 22 April 2016, 15:57

Gerver wrote:
duck_bird wrote:On tabletop the Desolator never put out that much damage. It had about the same firepower as a heavy cruiser. Its strength came from the fact that it was a battleship (so good turrets, 4 shields, etc) as fast as a chaos cruiser!

I am sure when people pay for BattleShip they want and they expect FIREPOWER and they dont care about TT (because GW dont know about balance, look at Decurion, Eldrad, Riptide, Paladins, Mefiston, Helldrakes etc), not Fat & Fast Cruiser.

the desolator was good in TT because it was the cheapest battle ship at only 300 points to.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 22 April 2016, 16:31

The thing in the fluff is much more dangerous.
It could open up Imperial battleships (some of the more powerful fluff BBs) like tin cans.

Massive firepower, high speed but was very fragile.
But we already have void stalker which kind of fills that neiche, but it's an alternate view on Desolator.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

warsinger2

Postby warsinger2 » 22 April 2016, 20:53

CALiGeR190 wrote:The thing in the fluff is much more dangerous.
It could open up Imperial battleships (some of the more powerful fluff BBs) like tin cans.

Massive firepower, high speed but was very fragile.
But we already have void stalker which kind of fills that neiche, but it's an alternate view on Desolator.

The TT Desolator has the exact number of hit points, shield and turrets as the Despoiler

Type BB, Hits 12, Movement 25cm, turrets 4, armour 5+ all round, shields 4 so it is exactly as fragile as a Despoiler, actually not since it is faster and can get out of trouble better.
If you think about fragile I think you mean the IN Invincible BB class with BB firepower but cruiser speed, hit points and shields, those are fragile.

The Desolator has slightly above heavy cruiser firepower with tremendous range, remember the TT Acheron has no 60cm(12k) dorsal lances but 45cm (9k ones). The TT Despoiler also has the double number of ordnance namely 8 total not 4 like in the game that is why the Despoiler is very expensive and also why the Desolator is cheap since its firepower is not too high. However chaos cruiser speed and long range lances plus some long range macros make it a very dangerous opponent.

But yes this is not the TT
In terms for this game I listed it above how a lore friendly Desolator could look like. Or you streamline it more with firepower and add all the combi macro weapon batteries, that were removed because they were bugged, as dorsal heavy macro turrets and keep the standard speed of 150. In any case at least 1 dorsal heavy macro turret should be added or 2 smaller ones.

Return to “Chaos Warfleet”