Repulsive Grand Cruiser

Share your heretic strategies. Death to the false Emperor!
Jectulg

Repulsive Grand Cruiser

Postby Jectulg » 10 April 2016, 00:39

One of my favorite vessels from TT, it was in the original set of rules for TT and would later be able to take upgrades that significantly boosted it performance (very rarely would not taking them be worth it). For Chaos it was a ship that could toe-to-toe with a battleship in a brawl, having only slightly lower range and durability when compared to them but still superior when compared to Imperial cruisers. In effect, they complemented Chaos with a large ship that could get stuck in the fight at fairly cheap cost. It could be roughly be described as a bigger Hades heavy cruiser.

For in-game terms, it would have 1000 HP, 200(300) shields, 14 nominal 8k range macro dps broadsides, 3 lance 270 degree 6k(9k) dps, 6 torps in the front, 50 armor all around and would cost something like 200-210 points probably. () are stats with the pretty much auto take upgrades

I'm just wondering why is it not in the game yet?

BrianDavion

Re: Repulsive Grand Cruiser

Postby BrianDavion » 10 April 2016, 00:42

grand cruisers are sort of an odd place right now, we have cruisers, and battlecruisers, which stats wise are just upgunned cruisers. thus with the class set up as defined, grand cruisers are going to be kind of an akward fit.

Formosa

Postby Formosa » 10 April 2016, 01:37

Grand cruiser is a good idea, as they are the middle ground between battlecruisers and battleships, and more variety is always good.

Mr. Doctor Girth

Postby Mr. Doctor Girth » 10 April 2016, 04:06

It's a cool ship, though I don't know that Chaos "needs" it at this point. It sounds like Imp requires a little more attention than us heretics.

It they were to do it (or other grand cruisers) maybe it work to have them fill in as very costly battlecruisers instead of having a slot just for them?

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 10 April 2016, 05:28

Mr. Doctor Girth wrote:It's a cool ship, though I don't know that Chaos "needs" it at this point. It sounds like Imp requires a little more attention than us heretics.

It they were to do it (or other grand cruisers) maybe it work to have them fill in as very costly battlecruisers instead of having a slot just for them?

i think they would work if they could be taken i either the BC or BB slot.

Do i want an expensive battle cruiser or a cheap battle ship?

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 10 April 2016, 06:52

IIRC in table top grand cruisers where treated like battle cruisers in terms of "deployment slot"

Crumplezone

Postby Crumplezone » 10 April 2016, 08:04

I certainly did raise a eyebrow that chaos didn't get a grand cruiser out of the two factions which have them, it was actually in the ship list in the first rulebook they could take them and they would as mentioned generally take a battlecruiser role.

Would have also been the only armoured prow ship chaos could have fielded which could have made it interesting to try some type of hybrid close and long range fleet.

When you look at it, its honestly odd that chaos doesn't have a grand cruiser as most of the ships which fled Terra at the end of horus heresy were that type of vessel or similar design and if you cross reference a grand cruiser and the array of chaos vessels available you will notice a similar design ethos under the spikes and chaos symbols.

For Imps I'm not to sure, there was only about 3-4 max grand cruisers left in the imperial navy in the gothic sector as the design had either been relegated to training vessels or patrol duty as the ship was no more powerful than the more modern cruisers and it only had half a armoured prow compared with a normal cruiser. It would be nice for another choice to take but in the current imperial navy the grand cruiser isn't a mainstream design used anymore.

Dreese5581

Postby Dreese5581 » 10 April 2016, 10:26

While common in chaos fleets in TT you needed to have a separate list other then the gothic sector list to take them as IN. They where mothballed and used only in reserve fleets. I believe they are only in the Armageddon sector fleet list in TT for IN. Also I dont see them having the reinforced prow on any grand cruisers chaos or IN. This is because the armored prow was added after the war with Horus as fleet doctrine changed.

hmm the Lists all have the grand cruisers in a battlecruiser slot. I assume they figure we already had enough choices and didnt need to add the grand cruisers.
Fanatic Table Top Player
The Lord Tzeentch compels me!
Come to the side of Chaos, for we have cookies!

Jectulg

Postby Jectulg » 10 April 2016, 22:13

Dreese5581 wrote:While common in chaos fleets in TT you needed to have a separate list other then the gothic sector list to take them as IN. They where mothballed and used only in reserve fleets. I believe they are only in the Armageddon sector fleet list in TT for IN. Also I dont see them having the reinforced prow on any grand cruisers chaos or IN. This is because the armored prow was added after the war with Horus as fleet doctrine changed.

hmm the Lists all have the grand cruisers in a battlecruiser slot. I assume they figure we already had enough choices and didnt need to add the grand cruisers.

Its not so much we don't need the choice, heck if you take that argument Battlefleet Armageddon and Battlefleet Bakka ships won't appear despite what they could do for the meta and game as a whole. Grand Cruisers weren't a popular choice for Imps but still having the option is nice.

The Repulsive filled a function few other Chaos ships did (or did as well rather) and it would be nice to have.

Zephyranthes

Postby Zephyranthes » 10 April 2016, 22:34

I'd like to see these implemented someday, I think the imperials would get some help from an expanded fleet list too, but I don't think there are enough ships for other factions already to make it weird we're adding more to factions that already have the most options.

Return to “Chaos Warfleet”