IN ordinance fleets...to use or not to use?

Share your glorious tactics. Glory to the Emperor!
Arctourus

IN ordinance fleets...to use or not to use?

Postby Arctourus » 11 October 2016, 13:52

So I pre-purchased this game and have played since it became "live." I didn't participate in beta testing at all, so I have no idea what the game was like then, but it seemed that, for quite a while, IN ordinance fleets were looked down upon, so I've avoided them for some time. Now, with the tau, it seems like maybe ordinance may be different (I've been playing IN without them for some time). My question is, is the IN ordinance very good, and if so, how much of it should you use? Most other factions have the potential to have ordinance from light cruisers up through every level. IN just has it in the three highest tiers, cruisers, battlecruisers and battleships. So, what levels do you choose to use ordinance on? What are the best ordinance ships? I've focused on direct fire for so long, I'm curious about what everyone else does.

Scorch715

Re: IN ordinance fleets...to use or not to use?

Postby Scorch715 » 11 October 2016, 18:38

There's nothing inherently wrong with IN carrier fleets, its just that Chaos and Eldar do it better, while the IN is, as you undoubtedly know, best suited to gunfights at mid to close range. However, along with the Navy is the most adaptable fleet, so a carrier build is still somewhat viable.

One option is to fit a Dictator cruiser into your current setup, using its fighters to help see off hostile ordinance. Another option is go full balls out with a brawling ordinance setup, having as many carriers as possible and using their strike craft and guns in concert at close range.

Are you looking for a competitive build for PVP or just a fun set up?

Beernchips

Postby Beernchips » 11 October 2016, 19:17

Mars and Emperor, they both have long range guns to complement the ordnances.
Otherwise you can go full dictator to hav torps wall + ordnances.
IN carrier cpability is reduced because Chas have Styx wih 4 bays vs Mars with 2 bays.
Eldars have the core 35% dodge on ordnances.

ALso IN is slow so you can t kite with your carriers whoch is a problem when you can launch crafts only every 48 secs vs a brawling fleet
Repent, for tomorrow you die

Arctourus

Postby Arctourus » 12 October 2016, 12:26

I guess my major question was if bringing them helps at all, and if so, is it better to go with the mars or the dominator? Playing IN has been....hard since the Tau came out. To be honest, I'm struggling with IN against most opponents/factions. I'm not sure if something got nerfed along the way or if I just failed to keep up with the changes - hence the question on if maybe I should look at ordinances again.

I pretty much only play pvp...finished the campaign ages ago.

Beernchips

Postby Beernchips » 12 October 2016, 16:01

WIth Tau it is much more relevant to have fighter cover than before because it works vs heavy missiles and mantas.
vs Tau, a heavy carrier fleet is almost useless because they will have much fighter cover than you an dpossible fighters with 2hp thx upgrade.
Repent, for tomorrow you die

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 13 October 2016, 08:38

IN carriers are mostly defensive. You don't get even nearly as many craft as Chaos does nor are your craft as powerful as the Eldar and you aren't as quick as either other faction, but you do get enough fighters to counter bomber swarms from other carrier fleets like the Eldar and Chaos.
Also most Imperial carriers are very well armed and protected for carriers.
Mars comes with a Nova Cannon, Macro batteries and dorsal lances, Emperor gets effectively 2 batteries of macro cannons with 12K range+the massive spotting range and the dictator gets Macros and Torps. 2 out of 3 get 75 frontal Armour, all 3 have have respectable health totals and can access Imperial tank-upgrades (Voss shields ect).

So Imperial Carrier fleets are basically just fleets that counter other carriers in a straight up fight, the only real limitation being their speed: but skills and upgrades+the fact they are carriers with plenty of reach does somewhat negate that. They also do decently well (but not amazingly) in just about any situation.
There's really nothing wrong the IN carriers, they just get neglected for not being as obviously powerful in one area as the alternatives in kiting or raw damage.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

NickEcho

Postby NickEcho » 13 October 2016, 13:51

It works. Imperial carriers are probably the only carriers that don't instantly die if anyone gets close, and their prow weapons are really useful. My dictators both have torpedo speed upgrade, and also +5 degree rotation. It saves a lot of time, and potentially, health, when doing high energy turns to fire the torpedoes and then turning away again to continue keeping the distance.

Recommended upgrade line ups:
Dictator: Squadron cooldowns, speed, rotation, torpedo speed, one of the shield upgrades, I prefer +100.
Mars: Squadron cooldows, speed, voss shields, shield reload, +100 shields.

Inquisitional favor, obviously.
Attachments
Squadrons.jpg
Squadrons.jpg (288.83 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

aprg

Postby aprg » 17 October 2016, 03:13

I've never really bothered with an IN carrier fleet per se, because I don't think a pure IN carrier fleet has enough focus to be as strong as alternatives: your Dictator fires torps, your Mars fires a Nova Cannon, and your Emperor has a long range scanner. These don't really have much synergy, don't pull in the same direction.

Better in my opinion to focus on a particular weapon or strategy -- e.g. torpedoes, Nova Cannon, whatever -- and see how you can bring about a concentration of fire with those, rather than focusing on strike craft, which, as others have pointed out, is not the IN's strong point for concentration.

Personally, I find carriers back up a torpedo strategy very well -- both bombers and torpedoes will work towards saturating any fighter cover the enemy has. I really enjoy fielding three Dictators on Space Station Assault, for example.

Return to “Imperial Navy”