Devs are hiding

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Larkis

Re: Devs are hiding

Postby Larkis » 25 February 2016, 19:32

I dont want to fight you ;)

Maybe im just a burned child (dont know if you know that. In Germany it means a child that burned his hand on a hot hotplate and will never do it again.

I often saw developer which build crap and hide it to get as many sales as possible. For Example Batman Arkham Knight.

Also Maxis, the developer of Sim City knows that there game Simulation break after 2 hours. So they made an opem Beta that only allows 2h gameplay.

In the end i think i lost over 200€ on broken games which the Publisher/Developer hide until it was to late.

So in my opinion a Dev/Publisher want to share Informations. They want the People talk about it. They want previews and special storys in gaming magazines. They want Hype, they want that everyone know about the game.

So i hope that helps bether understanding. :)

Lord Baal

Postby Lord Baal » 25 February 2016, 19:52

Then don't preorder the game. Wait for the open beta and play that to get a hold of the game. If you feel is worthy then by all means buy it (that's what I'll try to do).

Also, two hours after purchase do seem like enough to realize if a game is going to be crappy or not. At least it seems enough time to try the tutorial, a few skirmishes and the first campaign mission.
The Emperor is master of the galaxy, but the captain is master of his ship.
-Popular naval saying

GrinningD

Postby GrinningD » 25 February 2016, 20:14

Netheos wrote:
Hey MisterMorden, sorry that you feel that way!

We've been very busy for the last weeks. As you may know, we ran a Closed technical Test with a few hundreds players a few days ago and gathered tons of very useful feedback to improve the game before the open multiplayer beta. We've been working on these since then.

Moreover, the last two days have been dedicated to the 'WhatsNext' press event in Paris where the dev team presented the game to journalists from across the world. A few exclusive pictures below ;)

(edited for length)

I would also like to say thank you for the reply Netheos. While I don't share the ire of Mister Morden it is nice to hear from you guys occasionally. I have experienced plenty of forums for games that are nearly-but-not-quite-out and it can be very frustrating when things are so quiet. I understand why they are quiet but that makes it no less so.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. when I first glanced over your post I initially hoped that first pic was the view out of your office window :)

~ Grinning

Foxxy Renamon
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Foxxy Renamon » 26 February 2016, 00:03

Larkis wrote:I dont want to fight you ;)

Maybe im just a burned child (dont know if you know that. In Germany it means a child that burned his hand on a hot hotplate and will never do it again.

I often saw developer which build crap and hide it to get as many sales as possible. For Example Batman Arkham Knight.

Also Maxis, the developer of Sim City knows that there game Simulation break after 2 hours. So they made an opem Beta that only allows 2h gameplay.

In the end i think i lost over 200€ on broken games which the Publisher/Developer hide until it was to late.

So in my opinion a Dev/Publisher want to share Informations. They want the People talk about it. They want previews and special storys in gaming magazines. They want Hype, they want that everyone know about the game.

So i hope that helps bether understanding. :)

To be brutally honest with you Larkis, that sounds more like your fault than the developers...

You've had almost a year to do some research on Battle Fleet Gothic the Tabletop. The Tabletop and this game are practically the same except for some obvious reasons, such as live action instead of turn based and what not.

You're got the best tool for research in human history right in front of you, but instead of using it to learn about your purchases, you clearly just leap blindly into the fray and get hit hard when you see something you didn't expect.

Maxis has a history of producing absolute crap games, repeatedly.

The developers have already shared loads of information about this game. Several videos with gameplay, numerous alpha and beta tests, loads of in game footage. It seems like you're just grapsing at straws now to try and form a coherent argument.

Drakausa

Postby Drakausa » 26 February 2016, 00:14

Yikes! I am not even sure I should stick my nose into this thread. I have been wallowing in the threads and posts of true BFG Lore Masters as well as the work of dedicated BFG players from all over. However, as a former game designer (retired now) and having worked for two major corporate entities, I can assure you that game designers (developers) are NOT at the top of the totem pole. In my experience to date, only Star Citizen is being run by a game designer (and motion picture director) and the corporate business structure is UNDER the design folks.

There are at least 3 companies listed for BFG:ARMADA - Tindalos, Games Workshop and one other I won't bother to look up. The point is that information flow is CONTROLLED by business people including release of Information, videos, plans and state of the game etc... In my professional opinion the BFG devs have NO control to release anything not approved by the business managers. That is one of the reasons among many for an NDA. You may say what you will about the business plan but we did get a pre-order beta participation with refund available, even to those who do not know about the game till after Launch.

I simply cannot support any detrimental attacks against developer/designers because they are not involving themselves beyond an occasional comment. They are simply abiding by the corporate contracts they signed to get, and keep, their jobs. However limited it may seem, as a professional, I am satisfied that what I do know and see is sufficient for me to pre-order and look forward to Beta and release.

To make it less 'business like' I love the BFG, the ships, the Lore and the game. Enough to be willing to purchase it sight unseen. And I add my thanks to the posters who have made this forum so much pleasure of which to be a part. 'nuff said.

GreySeer

Postby GreySeer » 26 February 2016, 01:17

My type of topic I see.

Owl wrote:Grey Seer is nothing but ironclad skepticism, but for him (or her) it is in the interest in making the game worth purchasing by weeding out any nonsense in the games design.

Him. How nice of you. I call it cautious realism, all others diehard pessimism.

Firstly I want to say that I haven't bought this game but I almost certainly will as soon as I find out some things. I have 2 games made by Focus Home Interactive, Blood bowl 2 and Mordheim. Personally I think that those games are good and I have no reasons to doubt or not believe them. But I have reasons to doubt and not believe developers as a whole, therefore I am careful.

I cannot deny a certain rightness to authors of first 2 posts. People who didn't have access to the tests know about this game almost nothing besides the pale concept of the game and according to me, it is fully understandable that some people get nervous. They have paid, often they did it a month ago, and what they got for their trust? Narrative trailer and chaos trailer, nothing in terms of gameplay, nothing about the campaign, nothing about multiplayer, nothing about 2 races. none system requirements. No wonder that some people reacts emotionally. This is sad, but do you know what is even more sad? This is the best way to draw attention to your issue. You must flip the table, find supporters and in the best case start argument with others. Then some higher power descends between mortals to calm situations. Polite questions have a little effective. I'm an example myself. My first post on this forum, no answer. My last post on closed technical test forum, no answer. I know that I'm not the centre of the universe but If I began to spit venom left and right I think I would see some answers pretty quickly. This is not some isolated problem with Focus Home Interactive, this is the problem with the industry. I'm genuinely grateful to Focus Home Interactive for choosing my to the tests, but just because of that I can't say that selling a game in preorder with such a small amount of information and without giving system requirements is OK. I was thinking about it and I think that there may be a third way and it might work in this case but I'm sorry grey nicks guys, I can't use it lightly so I will use it on a closed forum.

Respect to Larkis for his apologies for his improper tongue. Unfortunately, I swear myself but I really don't like when someone swears in the company of people he don't know.
Last edited by GreySeer on 26 February 2016, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.
Praise the Machine God
Bless His construct-creations
And death to those who are not part of His grand design

Flyingrhinoman

Postby Flyingrhinoman » 26 February 2016, 01:45

While I agree with the fact devs are being mute, this could be a weird gag order from uptop not the devs themselves. The silence could also be explained by the fact that they might have an exclusivity deal with some review company which would prohibit them from releasing information freely. these are all reasonable ways to explain the silence that have no malicious intent.

If the information is still vague come the week before release, then their is cause for worry as the game should be finished by then. sine I have yet to find a physical copy of this game for preorder that means the usual early deadline for the game doesn't apply as they can keep fiddling with it until literally the last minute. so I see no surprise with the information being scant as the usual cycle is delayed for a purely digital product.
For those who challenge the might of the Imperium I laugh at you as you desperately try to damage the armored prow while I watch you scrabble to doge my glorious swarm of torpedoes. Eldar please run away

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 26 February 2016, 02:47

Netheos wrote:
MisterMorden wrote:There are no information about the multiplayer beta, the official release date, system requirements and 2 races are still missing.
They use twitter but even there you don't get any usefull information, this is really poor because we are able to buy the game and if i pay for something at least i want to know how the devs are making progress.

Hey MisterMorden, sorry that you feel that way!

We've been very busy for the last weeks. As you may know, we ran a Closed technical Test with a few hundreds players a few days ago and gathered tons of very useful feedback to improve the game before the open multiplayer beta. We've been working on these since then.

Moreover, the last two days have been dedicated to the 'WhatsNext' press event in Paris where the dev team presented the game to journalists from across the world. A few exclusive pictures below ;)

Larkis wrote:No dev comnentaries, no informations about gameplay, no gameplay-videos, just fast cuttet faction trailers, no informations about multiplayer or functionality in the campaign...

You can find a gameplay video with commentaries here:

2 races are still missing

I presume you're talking about the Ork and Eldar. Both races are developed and implemented in the game already, they were available for the Closed Technical Testers. We are working currently on the overall balance on the races.

We released some screenshots of the Ork fleet. More content is coming on the boyz, as well as on the Eldar fleet.

Cheers ;)

Those are very nice decos, but please, can we have any word on the open beta and game release dates yet? I mean, there is like one month if the devs still plan the release in March.

Aslo, the stained-glass window like deco was a nice touch!
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

scouse22rn

Postby scouse22rn » 26 February 2016, 08:38

Whilst i agree that the lack of information / interaction from the devs is annoying in the extreme i must say i do agree with the comments in this forum that it probably is due to a contractual agreement between the devs and reviewers / commercial interests.

I really think a simple one line statement saying " we'd love to keep you informed of the ongoing development in detail but are however restricted by 'x' contract"

That would seem to be common sense and would certainly stop this frustrated trolling going on right now.

Just a thought.
AVE IMPERATOR!!!

Larkis

Postby Larkis » 26 February 2016, 08:48

Im sorry for my bad words yesterday.

I was very negative and hoped devs gives more informations to prove me wrong. :?

And the end i dont thin kthe game would be very bad. I think it would be really good, but im afrait that the gameplay is nothing for me : old-man: cause its to fast and hectic.

I like the relaxed gameplay of nexus or R.U.S.E where a can give orders, look what happen and have enough time to think about my strategy before i give new orders. And i hate the fast stupid gameplay from "i must babysit every fucking unit with 300APM" Starcraft.

Hope BFG:A would be more slowly. :(

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”