Taunt needs to go or be replaced

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
MYNAME?

Taunt needs to go or be replaced

Postby MYNAME? » 04 June 2016, 17:40

IMO Taunt needs to be replaced by something less crutch worthy.

You lose all control of your ships and that is in most cases GG WP if you run with brawler fleets. Chaos for example gets crushed if they wanna knife fight. The only chaos fleets that dont have a problem with taunt are kite fleets.
Whats the point if you have all this mobility if you cant capitalize on it. Playing with a brawler setup as chaos is fun and people dont bitch about it for once. But the second you run into a taunt spamming fleet you are screwed. Why bother trying something new that could work fairly well when it gets hard countered by 1 ability.

Taunt is the most important upgrade for the orks but if you replace it with something else that helps ork players close the gap naturally it should be fine.

But orks in general need a work over we all know that.

Azrael

Re: Taunt needs to go or be replaced

Postby Azrael » 04 June 2016, 19:54

I don't even come to these forums that often any more and I know that this is the 5,201,213 post about taunt needing to go...

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 05 June 2016, 02:28

Azrael wrote:I don't even come to these forums that often any more and I know that this is the 5,201,213 post about taunt needing to go...

That is correct man thats why something should be done about it eventually. There are plenty of ways Races specifically "orks" can be compinsated and stay "competetive" through other means. Imperials really dont need Taunt to begin with. So why not make something that actually doesnt take away control of your ship.

BIGBushido

Postby BIGBushido » 05 June 2016, 22:49

Do you use Mark of Slaanesh...?

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 06 June 2016, 03:14

BIGBushido wrote:Do you use Mark of Slaanesh...?

Yes have 2 ships with MoS but if a guy has 5 ships with taunt it really doesnt matter and i really dont want to go with 5 MoS ships just to counter Taunt and inta win vs orks. i find MoS spam really cheezy as well.

Control abilities in a naval game where positioning and loss of freedom of movement makes or breaks you is just horrible game design period. Thats why i wouldnt have a problem with the removal of stasis bombs as well.

tenabrae

Postby tenabrae » 06 June 2016, 05:58

As an Eldar player about the only thing that i'm worried about is taunt. It's not just for Orks and it's not just a counter to chaos. Escape is only a micro warp jump away, the cooldown is fairly long, it affects one target.

It doesn't seem to work properly (i.e. i've been taunted and my ship has started turning _away_ from the taunter) but other than that it seems ok to me.

Perhaps it needs diminshing returns so it can't be chained by multiple ships, or perhaps morale should make a difference (giving people a reason to actually take commisars etc)

Seldoria

Postby Seldoria » 06 June 2016, 12:36

In my opinion, I dont think it is such a big issue. I mean, sure, it can suck, but if you are smart about it, you can diminsh the impact of Taunt. For instance, if you have set your engagement range to 12k, your ship will try to move to that range, while trying to engage the taunting ship.
You still lose control of the ship(for 15 seconds), but at least the ship is trying to avoid direct confrontation(unless that is what you want ofc).

Also, if your fleet is coherent, Taunt has minimal impact. Then it simply forces you to fire at a specific enemy. I am not sure if your ship will try and use abilities, if they are set on autocast. Would be worth to test that out.

With a 3 minute cooldown and no direct damage done or mitigated, it is a situational skill and you could argue that you will get more worth out of Plasma Bombs or Disruption Bombs, since they have a direct impact and a shorter cooldown.

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 06 June 2016, 13:43

If taunt goes, the non-cruiser clash game modes need to go too.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 06 June 2016, 16:50

Seldoria wrote:In my opinion, I dont think it is such a big issue. I mean, sure, it can suck, but if you are smart about it, you can diminsh the impact of Taunt. For instance, if you have set your engagement range to 12k, your ship will try to move to that range, while trying to engage the taunting ship.
You still lose control of the ship(for 15 seconds), but at least the ship is trying to avoid direct confrontation(unless that is what you want ofc).

Also, if your fleet is coherent, Taunt has minimal impact. Then it simply forces you to fire at a specific enemy. I am not sure if your ship will try and use abilities, if they are set on autocast. Would be worth to test that out.

With a 3 minute cooldown and no direct damage done or mitigated, it is a situational skill and you could argue that you will get more worth out of Plasma Bombs or Disruption Bombs, since they have a direct impact and a shorter cooldown.

Thats not the point if i need to do X Y an Z to avoid the impacts of a bullshit control ability it is still bad game design dude. I know these steps of avoiding taunt played a chaos kite fleet long enough. Kiters have no issues with taunt they removed certain things on Taunt. When your brawling with skirmishers example Slaughters, hellbringers, Dauntless etc etc. You need that freedom of movement and going on a hugely telegraphed path in knife fighting is not a good thing. Taunt opens you up to Torp salvos rams etc etc.

Alot of people use Taunt to "counter" chaos kite or endless kiting. (it really doesnt it encourages it)

Really Taunt just hard counters chaos brawler fleets It counters skirmishers and ships that rely on their agility and freedom of movement and good micro to win you the game

Do you get what i am saying now?

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 06 June 2016, 16:51

Imperator5 wrote:If taunt goes, the non-cruiser clash game modes need to go too.

what ya mean? you mean Defender and Attacker? yes i agree with that. Defender should not be winnin the game through playing cat n mouse.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”