Please remove taunt from the game

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
prendeho

Please remove taunt from the game

Postby prendeho » 09 May 2016, 00:53

Hello everyone,

I have been playing this game since beta, put about 252 hours into thus far, had multiple level 8 admirals across all factions (beta and now) so that is where I draw my analysis.

I dislike taunt as a mechanic, it takes away control of ship maneuvers. Having to set my engagement to broadside/12k and/or burning retros to soft counter taunt is silly. Taunt is often used in a chain and suddenly I have no way of boosting my ship away from danger or turn off boost and not run out, or use solar sails/180, or do a HET to avoid something etc etc. Combine that no control with the multitude of ways to catch ships, available to all races, makes for a frustrating experience. It feels really cheesy and unfair to lose a ship like that.

The purpose of taunt is to allow otherwise slow races or ships to catch up with kiters. If I am wrong in this please correct me, but that has been my interpretation from lurking these forums and playing this game.

As of right now, plenty of mechanics/skills/upgrades exist that make it very easy to force an engagement. To cite:

I also omitted Eldar because they can catch anything forever...

Skills:
Micro wave jump - all races
Enhanced induction coils -IN/Chaos/Orkz
Stasis bombs - all races

Ship capabilities:
Big red button - Orkz
All ahead full - IN/Chaos
Nova cannon - IN/Orkz (granted the orkz version is lousy...)

Upgrades:
Mezeo pattern drive - IN
Efficient plasma thrusters (25% more boost gauge) - IN/Chaos/Orkz

Favors:
Red sunz favor (traktor cannon and 25% faster gauge refill) - Orkz
Slaanesh - Disables orders and boosting

Please let me know if i missed anything.

Add taunt on top of all this, and any ship will die. Orkz have plenty of ways to catch up to someone avoiding a fight. They reach you with a combination of the above skills, add taunt to single out a ship, and thats it. Control is taken away, the ship is now guaranteed to die/get crippled.

Or Chaos, running 3x Slaughters vs Eldar, chain taunting and slaaneshing the ship to death. Slaanesh I can handle, at least I can direct my movements, but add taunt, and suddenly my ships is angled broadside towards macro cannons, instead of using wraith-bone armor to point my prow at them, for example

Its the fact that I cannot angle the ship that makes for the most frustration, because a lot of these situations the damage can be mitigated through maneuvering skill, and that is taken away from me. Its the worst vs Orkz, because I have to micro really hard and all they have to do is MWJ, stasis, BRB + traktor + chain taunt and a ship dies.

I am sure I am not alone in this sentiment.

Avlaen

Re: Please remove taunt from the game

Postby Avlaen » 09 May 2016, 01:07

+1 i hate taunt as a skill and how it causes total loss of control with no skill required.

and looknig at all the help me V X theres allways 1 or more posts saying "just take taunt" and that is a problem that a single ability is so powerful and so universally powerful aswell as having a very shitty player experience.

Marwynn

Postby Marwynn » 09 May 2016, 01:24

Against AI, Taunt should work like it does now. But in MP, it shouldn't be a CC. In MMORPGs with a PvP Tank, the Taunt skill actually just reduced damage dealt by the taunted target to everyone that wasn't the tank. There's actually a damage boost to attacks on the tank in some games.

So if you get this big bad bruiser, like say the Voidstalker, hit it with a taunt to reduce its damage for a short while, unless you were the intended target.

No loss of control, just some DPS loss. That said, I wouldn't miss the skill if it were simply removed.

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 09 May 2016, 01:29

Marwynn wrote:Against AI, Taunt should work like it does now. But in MP, it shouldn't be a CC. In MMORPGs with a PvP Tank, the Taunt skill actually just reduced damage dealt by the taunted target to everyone that wasn't the tank. There's actually a damage boost to attacks on the tank in some games.

So if you get this big bad bruiser, like say the Voidstalker, hit it with a taunt to reduce its damage for a short while, unless you were the intended target.

No loss of control, just some DPS loss. That said, I wouldn't miss the skill if it were simply removed.

any race v any race, taunt is the best skill to have and use as it is, and i actually like your idea, though i wish it would just get removed or replaced personally.

MadDemiurg

Postby MadDemiurg » 09 May 2016, 01:32

+1. There are some gaps Taunt covers atm, but it's a crutch , and an ugly one.

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 09 May 2016, 02:05

MadDemiurg wrote:+1. There are some gaps Taunt covers atm, but it's a crutch , and an ugly one.

this is the main reason i dont use it personally, i feel disgusted every time i do and feel like over reliance will hurt my skill level because its just that good. xD

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 09 May 2016, 04:26

yeah its kind of complicated other races rely on Taunt more than others. Orks for example have it as a must in 90% of the cases and Imperials use it as well to make an unlucky chaos player burn out their engines when they boost. I think taunt needs to be replaced with a unique skill for each race. Orks clearly need something that allows them to close the gap or improve their ranged capabilities for a short time. Imperials not sure what they really need. They can beat chaos if they all stopped acting like noobs. (maybe they could get an ability that improves all their weapons for a short time in a certain way. Eldar dont need taunt. They just need an ability thats not kite oriented so we can prevent further homosexual play.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 09 May 2016, 05:35

Taunt is a fucking cancer that I don't understand why the bloody thing exists

When I first saw angry joes dev preview I thought taunt existed for the sole purpose of reliably stopping ships from warping out

The devs need to explain to us why they are still allowing this to exist, 22s of unit control loss is pure and utter nonsense
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Skanvak

Postby Skanvak » 09 May 2016, 06:05

As I told in another post. Taunt could remain (you are not the captain of most of the ships) but its effect should be random, it could work or not (should work better on Orks and Chaos and less on Eldar). Some crew training should counter that too (personnality of the captain). May be the Admiral ship should be immune or more resistant as you are commanding it. But I won't advocate full removal. Just put it on par with other skill that can be dodge for most.
Best regard,

Skanvak Drakken
My youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/skanvak

Levandor

Postby Levandor » 09 May 2016, 07:17

Bludfist wrote:Taunt is a fucking cancer that I don't understand why the bloody thing exists

When I first saw angry joes dev preview I thought taunt existed for the sole purpose of reliably stopping ships from warping out

The devs need to explain to us why they are still allowing this to exist, 22s of unit control loss is pure and utter nonsense

Because it works as a balacing crutch atm?

Without Taunt, IN and Orcs would be in trouble, you would never even see Eldar and Chaos ships, if those are played well,

all that helps against good(!) Players of both races is chain taunting them into oblivion, at least if you want to have a reliable way of winning.

Is that a good thing? Not really, but it is what we have

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”