Why was the Nova Cannon nerfed into the ground when the Mega Kannon exists?

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
PerfectJayDread

Why was the Nova Cannon nerfed into the ground when the Mega Kannon exists?

Postby PerfectJayDread » 04 May 2016, 04:18

It boggles my mind how the devs can look at the Mega Kannon and think its fine. You have a weapon that does nearly as much damage as a nova cannon center hit but that's a guaranteed hit and that is just abused by ork players who spam them. Its not fun watching my cruiser vanish into thin air and there's no counter play due to Orks absurd control abilities. With the combination of taunt, MWJ, traktors and stasis bombs I seriously don't understand how you are supposed to avoid the point blank money shot. Lets just use cruisers as an example: they stasis bomb -> you MWJ -> they traktor you closer to them -> you use stasis bomb -> they MWJ. In any circumstance they have the control advantage due to traktors giving them one more option to close the gap. The MK damage should be nerfed outright to start with, then make it so that its alpha damage is reduced but have its rate of fire increase: keeping DPM the same but reducing the alpha. As it stands now, the Orks just need one single moment of engagement to erase one of your ships.

Avlaen

Re: Why was the Nova Cannon nerfed into the ground when the Mega Kannon exists?

Postby Avlaen » 04 May 2016, 04:49

PerfectJayDread wrote:It boggles my mind how the devs can look at the Mega Kannon and think its fine. You have a weapon that does nearly as much damage as a nova cannon center hit but that's a guaranteed hit and that is just abused by ork players who spam them. Its not fun watching my cruiser vanish into thin air and there's no counter play due to Orks absurd control abilities. With the combination of taunt, MWJ, traktors and stasis bombs I seriously don't understand how you are supposed to avoid the point blank money shot. Lets just use cruisers as an example: they stasis bomb -> you MWJ -> they traktor you closer to them -> you use stasis bomb -> they MWJ. In any circumstance they have the control advantage due to traktors giving them one more option to close the gap. The MK damage should be nerfed outright to start with, then make it so that its alpha damage is reduced but have its rate of fire increase: keeping DPM the same but reducing the alpha. As it stands now, the Orks just need one single moment of engagement to erase one of your ships.

yup, preety much a single volley of mega kannons and a bit of luck can cripple a ship instantly.

prendeho

Postby prendeho » 04 May 2016, 05:34

I played an orc army that was all traktor beams and upgraded booster gauge and stasis bombs. Isolated 1 ship, gg ship, and then piece meals my army. I capitulated, but I felt pretty helpless. I had my battle group split up and he still closed distance easy. MWJ, traktor, booster gauage, its pretty redonk.

PerfectJayDread

Postby PerfectJayDread » 04 May 2016, 05:54

Its just mainly frustrating when your damage is dealt out over a period of time when they can just gangbang your one ship instantly and bam, you're already at a disadvantage.

Dreese5581

Postby Dreese5581 » 04 May 2016, 07:18

This has been complained about alot. Its a serious balance issue where eldar and orks can alpha for tons of damage while other races have to fight it out. Thing about orks though is everything about their ships are worse then everyone elses. Yes they get some abilites but the tractors have received alot of nerfs (because they needed it). Generally you want to play a long range attack plan vs orks. I know IN might have issues but they can be set up tough enough to fight orks in close....sorta. Orks have crappy range, accuracy, movement, turrets.

The Mega Kannon shouldnt be used atm by any serious ork player in bfg. It has a chance (25% i think) to fail and take out the prow weapons.....all the prow weapons. Prow is generally where your best guns on an ork ship are. This is why you see alot of tracktor cannons because they dont explode and they let the orks pull you in closer where they are strong. Mega kannon has been nerfed enough you will rarely see them in a fleet.
Fanatic Table Top Player
The Lord Tzeentch compels me!
Come to the side of Chaos, for we have cookies!

PerfectJayDread

Postby PerfectJayDread » 04 May 2016, 07:34

Mega Kannons don't have a chance to blow up... Not unless its not listed in their tooltip. The MK is a normal firing weapon that hits for 144dmg with 100% accuracy under 3k. Let that sink in. Ork light cruisers can take these, and you can take three in smaller game, and then can jump on one other LC and deal 472dmg in one second to it. F*CK. THAT. Thats almost an instant gib of one enemy ship and a damage burst your opponent can neither match or recover from. If Ork everything else is so much worse that they NEED this weapon, then it simply reflects woefully terrible design on the part of the devs and nothing else. If nothing else then buff other aspects of the orks in order to compensate. This would be like keeping the nova cannon the way it was in the closed beta by stating that due to IN weaknesses rom relying on broadside weaponry they totally still need the nuke launchers.

edit: spelling and censoring.
Last edited by PerfectJayDread on 04 May 2016, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

PerfectJayDread

Postby PerfectJayDread » 04 May 2016, 07:39

This is also ignoring the fact that the MKs firing rate isn't all that bad at 12. So it does 144dmg every 12 seconds, making its dpm 720 PER MEGA KANNON. WAT. I don't even think Pulsars do that much damage. In a small game, three Ork LCs are capable of completely destroying an IN LC in under 13 seconds. Thats insane. Thats not fun or competitive its bullsh*t is what it is.

edit: censoring

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 04 May 2016, 08:44

First off yeah it's not mega kannonz that have a 25% chance to explode it's nova kannonz from blood axe favor

It's basically a favor disliked by everyone because on one hand risking losing your prow weapons is an awful downside that causes a significant drop in dps, no serious ork player wants to take that risk and on the other side mass novas is cheese, broken and unfun to play agaist

If you ask any real ork player they will tell you that they want the favor changed cause right now it's a joke

Secondly on the subject of mega kannonz
You are comparing apples and oranges, mega kannonz are a range limited weapon that orks require a kustom point spent resulting in 1 less point for specing things carrier bays for defensive fighter screens or specing heavy gunz for better broadsides because lotsa gunz are probably the worst broadsides in the game, and that's how as is, the kustomization system works for orks, you either can have a strong prow or strong broadsides but not both and going meage kannonz means weak broadsides

All of this is nothing like novas 25k weapons

The reason orks need high alpha weapons is because every other faction in the game out maneuvers them and because all their best (not garbage) weapons are range limited to 50% accuracy at 3k and 0% at 6k

So when they finally do catch their target they have deal significant and noticeable dmg
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

PerfectJayDread

Postby PerfectJayDread » 04 May 2016, 09:49

I'm really not comparing apples to oranges here. They are both extreme range weapons that both do extreme amounts of damage. One is extreme long range and one is extreme short range. The main difference between then is that the NC gets nothing but nerfs every patch and the MK still insta gibs ships at close range. Also, the kustom point isn't even a valid point, cause the IN essentially has to determine the same thing when picking ship types. IN sacrifices torpedoes and other ship variants when taking the NC variant, so its essentially the same thing as the Ork kustom point. Why is it ok for Orks to be incredibly durable, have great control abilities AND have the alpha of the MK yet the Eldar Pulsars are the things that people say are OP. And noticeable damage =/= instant destruction of a ship. The Orks have the single most powerful weapon currently and are WAY too well equipped to absolutely abuse it at every turn. If nothing else then the damage should be spread out over DPM instead of burst, this at least offers counter play and doesn't feel quite as crap as when the ork traktors you point blank and then wins the game cause he says so.

edit: added a point I forgot.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 04 May 2016, 10:00

PerfectJayDread wrote:I'm really not comparing apples to oranges here. They are both extreme range weapons that both do extreme amounts of damage. One is extreme long range and one is extreme short range. The main difference between then is that the NC gets nothing but nerfs every patch and the MK still insta gibs ships at close range. Also, the kustom point isn't even a valid point, cause the IN essentially has to determine the same thing when picking ship types. IN sacrifices torpedoes and other ship variants when taking the NC variant, so its essentially the same thing as the Ork kustom point. Why is it ok for Orks to be incredibly durable, have great control abilities AND have the alpha of the MK yet the Eldar Pulsars are the things that people say are OP. And noticeable damage =/= instant destruction of a ship. The Orks have the single most powerful weapon currently and are WAY too well equipped to absolutely abuse it at every turn. If nothing else then the damage should be spread out over DPM instead of burst, this at least offers counter play and doesn't feel quite as crap as when the ork traktors you point blank and then wins the game cause he says so.

edit: added a point I forgot.

>Extreme range Mega Kannon
Extreme long range and extreme short range weapons Arnt Comparable in this manner.

Mega Kannons have 3K range and horrible accuracy with a limited arc on very slow ships. DPS and crits be damned, its balanced by its limitations, one of the few 'good' things the Orks get.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”