*spoiler* Question about the campaign *spoiler*

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
oflegions

*spoiler* Question about the campaign *spoiler*

Postby oflegions » 23 April 2016, 14:44

Hello everyone, i hope you have as much fun with BG:A as i do. ;)

After i captured both The Hand of Darkness and the Eye of Night, I thought that maybe the IMPS could take advantage of the Blackstone Fortresses. I just finished the Lukitar defense mission and then it struck me: How could Abbadon use both fortresses without the artifacts? If i remember my fluff correctly, he was somehow deceived by one of the C'tan and therefore captured both the relics. And only by having them he was able to command the Blackstones. Don't get me wrong, i'm all in for creative storywriting, but that fact kinda left me.. dunno, missing the right word here^^. We were already able to change the way the story goes by getting the artifacts, destroying the Terminus Est and some other hero-ships, so i'm asking myself, how the hell could Abbadon still use the Blackstones?! I honestly don't get it..

Am I the only one who was bothered by that fact?

Lordbeefy

Re: *spoiler* Question about the campaign *spoiler*

Postby Lordbeefy » 23 April 2016, 15:02

I agree, there are events here that are 'canon' in terms of the known course of the Gothic war.....I could even understand it if you won the missions but the interval clips showed them being lost by an incompetent aministratum or transport captain....but to completely go against them is daft......particularly since even in the games intro it makes it clear that the crone tells abaddon that he needs the two artifacts to control the blackstones.....the imps used them as giant spacestations previously....without the artifacts that is the limit of their use?

good game, but i hate meddling in lore that adds nothing to the game....it smacks of a lack of effort on the part of the writers.

Valthic

Postby Valthic » 23 April 2016, 15:17

THIS IS MY OPINION I DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN AS I HAVEN'T ENDED THE CAMPAIGN YET (and at this point i'm wondering if i ever will as i'm damn near to loosing 50 systems XD).

What if Horst is a secret traitor and he just feigned to lock the artifacts in a vault and instead handed them over to Abaddon?

oflegions

Postby oflegions » 23 April 2016, 15:29

Valthic wrote:THIS IS MY OPINION I DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN AS I HAVEN'T ENDED THE CAMPAIGN YET (and at this point i'm wondering if i ever will as i'm damn near to loosing 50 systems XD).

What if Horst is a secret traitor and he just feigned to lock the artifacts in a vault and instead handed them over to Abaddon?

If that would be true, then why are the relics a) activated and b) have their positive influence on the warpstorm? No, I don't think that Tindalos would break with canon that hard..

Imho both missions regarding the relics are supposed to be so hard, that most people would believe that they're scripted.. But still, some things in this game just don't add up :/

Valthic

Postby Valthic » 23 April 2016, 16:04

oflegions wrote:
Valthic wrote:THIS IS MY OPINION I DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN AS I HAVEN'T ENDED THE CAMPAIGN YET (and at this point i'm wondering if i ever will as i'm damn near to loosing 50 systems XD).

If that would be true, then why are the relics a) activated and b) have their positive influence on the warpstorm? No, I don't think that Tindalos would break with canon that hard..

Imho both missions regarding the relics are supposed to be so hard, that most people would believe that they're scripted.. But still, some things in this game just don't add up :/

That's true.
[conspiracy mode]Horst is the one replicating the effect of the artifacts! [/conspiracy mode]

Didn't find them that hard tbh. Just went there, torpedoed stuff, got stuff back home. I'm playing normal, that's something i have to say.

yamato2cz

Postby yamato2cz » 23 April 2016, 19:27

oflegions wrote:Hello everyone, i hope you have as much fun with BG:A as i do. ;)

After i captured both The Hand of Darkness and the Eye of Night, I thought that maybe the IMPS could take advantage of the Blackstone Fortresses. I just finished the Lukitar defense mission and then it struck me: How could Abbadon use both fortresses without the artifacts? If i remember my fluff correctly, he was somehow deceived by one of the C'tan and therefore captured both the relics. And only by having them he was able to command the Blackstones. Don't get me wrong, i'm all in for creative storywriting, but that fact kinda left me.. dunno, missing the right word here^^. We were already able to change the way the story goes by getting the artifacts, destroying the Terminus Est and some other hero-ships, so i'm asking myself, how the hell could Abbadon still use the Blackstones?! I honestly don't get it..

Am I the only one who was bothered by that fact?

alot of things dont make sense in the campaign. i destroyed plane killer 2 times and took all HPs and was still firing at it after 0 HPs and shit didnt go boom. same with that one blackstone fortrees. and why the heck cant i use the fortrees? i have bunch of them. would help me in few battles. and some missions are scripted to be virtually unwinnable at hard and heroic difficulties, because it doesnt matter what amount of skill you have, there is just too much enemies. i like the design, some battles just cannot be won. but taking half of my fleet with it is just damn mean.

ErikModi

Postby ErikModi » 24 April 2016, 00:43

yamato2cz wrote:and why the heck cant i use the fortrees? i have bunch of them. would help me in few battles.

The Empire's Blackstones are inactive, just being used as the superstructure for particularly resilient space stations, with standard-issue Imperial guns and flight decks so on bolted on to the outside. They can't even move, let alone hope through Warp Space to another system and start blazing away with their Warp Cannons. While the Imperium COULD technically reactive them the same way Abbadon did, A) we're not sure if they know how to combine the artefacts with the Blackstone's in the right way to achieve the desired result (and with the observed power of an Activated Blackstone, would YOU want to risk frelling it up?) B) The Imperium doesn't need "filthy xenos tech" to fight their battles, using the Blackstones the way Abbadon does may well result in everyone involved getting charged with heresy, even if they win.

But yeah, Abbadon still getting the Active Blackstones bothered me, until I thought of something: for a time at least, each artefact was in Chaos possession. Now, the WH40K wiki has this to say about the Blackstones:

However, during the Gothic War, Abaddon the Despoiler was influenced by the C'tan known as 'The Deceiver' to find a pair of ancient devices, (known as the 'Hand of Darkness' and the 'Eye of Night', probably Eldar devices with some kind of command code or password) which re-activated the massive ships, bringing them under his control.

Perhaps, in the time Chaos forces had both artefacts, they were able to figure out what they needed to know to control the Blackstones, and so could still reactivate them even if they didn't physically posses the items. More like needing the password to a computer, less like needing the keys to a car.

yamato2cz

Postby yamato2cz » 24 April 2016, 09:41

ErikModi wrote:
yamato2cz wrote:and why the heck cant i use the fortrees? i have bunch of them. would help me in few battles.

The Empire's Blackstones are inactive, just being used as the superstructure for particularly resilient space stations, with standard-issue Imperial guns and flight decks so on bolted on to the outside. They can't even move, let alone hope through Warp Space to another system and start blazing away with their Warp Cannons. While the Imperium COULD technically reactive them the same way Abbadon did, A) we're not sure if they know how to combine the artefacts with the Blackstone's in the right way to achieve the desired result (and with the observed power of an Activated Blackstone, would YOU want to risk frelling it up?) B) The Imperium doesn't need "filthy xenos tech" to fight their battles, using the Blackstones the way Abbadon does may well result in everyone involved getting charged with heresy, even if they win.

But yeah, Abbadon still getting the Active Blackstones bothered me, until I thought of something: for a time at least, each artefact was in Chaos possession. Now, the WH40K wiki has this to say about the Blackstones:

However, during the Gothic War, Abaddon the Despoiler was influenced by the C'tan known as 'The Deceiver' to find a pair of ancient devices, (known as the 'Hand of Darkness' and the 'Eye of Night', probably Eldar devices with some kind of command code or password) which re-activated the massive ships, bringing them under his control.

Perhaps, in the time Chaos forces had both artefacts, they were able to figure out what they needed to know to control the Blackstones, and so could still reactivate them even if they didn't physically posses the items. More like needing the password to a computer, less like needing the keys to a car.

if blackstones are so resilient, why not slap a few engines on it and FOR THE EMPEROR into the battle? they would only use internal structure and make 10x10km big moving space station. would ruin day for a few orks and chaos guys for sure.

ErikModi

Postby ErikModi » 24 April 2016, 12:27

Because the amount of engines needed to make it move with any kind of speed would be too bulky, weighty, cost ineffective, an inefficient? Assuming they could get it moving at all, with the mass of the Blackstone plus the mass of the engines plus the mass of fuel equalling more mass than the engines can move. It's pretty easy to hit a point of zero returns with reaction drives.

That, and it's strategically more valuable to have a solid defensive point from which to project force throughout the sub-sector than it is to have one giant flying space station accompany one task force into battle.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”