The Best Game of 2016 for me is...

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
mystic_taboo

The Best Game of 2016 for me is...

Postby mystic_taboo » 05 February 2017, 21:09

Hi All,

I rarely post on forums but I have been playing RTS since Dune 2 and whilst my favourite of all time remains Age of Empires:- The Rise of Rome, the game I enjoyed the most in 2016 and now in 2017 is.... this.

I played through the beta, exclusively multiplayer and loved it, played multiplayer afterwards, great game. Incredible value for money, cheaper than washing the dishes. In January 2017 I gave the single player a determined spin (which i usually ignore in RTS) and wow I love the artwork of the cut-scenes and story, superb.

So, hats off to Tindalos, i've seen some complaints about the Tau in multiplayer which I haven't played since that race became 'live', but for sheer time spent on a game, value for money, this game is my best of 2016.

Notable mentions to Homeworld: Deserts of Khrak, Total War: Warhammer, and Wargame: Red Dragon (Some released 2015 but still going strong).

Eagerly anticipating what this great studio does next!

Craig

malcontent333

Re: The Best Game of 2016 for me is...

Postby malcontent333 » 05 February 2017, 21:44

Indeed. This is the only game I've ever owned with 400+ hours logged. Easily the best cost to enjoyment ratio of practically all my entertainment expenses
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

Blexus Falconer
Tindalos Team

Postby Blexus Falconer » 07 February 2017, 17:47

Greetings Admirals,

We are glad that you like Battlefleet Gothic Armada this much. It is always a real pleasure to see those type of messages on the forum. :)

I will transmit them to the staff.

Thank you!
A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy.

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 07 February 2017, 21:57

I enjoyed this and Stellaris both a great deal.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Roibr54

Postby Roibr54 » 14 February 2017, 18:39

I can only agree with that!
byebye bf1,battlefront......

BFG is one of my most Favourite since it came out(Deathwing also, but that needs time...Hopefully this Week hahaha).
I think i will never leave BFG except Part 2. But i hope that this Game is build upon with Expansions rather than "a new Game". The Brand is known and will Spread more and more!

BanjoJohn

Postby BanjoJohn » 28 March 2017, 04:11

Either metal gear solid 5, dark souls 3, or stardew valley are really the best game of 2016, for me at least.

This game was nice, but it got boring fast. I didn't like the translations they made from the tabletop i loved so much into a real time strategy. I don't feel like RTS fits with BFG at all. Plus the changes they made to ships to make them all fit in the structure of light cruisers, cruisers, and battlecruisers instead of just having each race have their own individual fleet limits like they were supposed to have. This is less fun than the original tabletop game, and that came out in 1999.

Romeo

Postby Romeo » 31 March 2017, 16:35

BanjoJohn wrote:Either metal gear solid 5, dark souls 3, or stardew valley are really the best game of 2016, for me at least.

This game was nice, but it got boring fast. I didn't like the translations they made from the tabletop i loved so much into a real time strategy. I don't feel like RTS fits with BFG at all.

Really? I'm curious as to why. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious as to why. The only genre besides the Real-Time Tactics option they could've used would've been 4X, which would've pushed the game waaaay further from its roots.
BanjoJohn wrote:Plus the changes they made to ships to make them all fit in the structure of light cruisers, cruisers, and battlecruisers instead of just having each race have their own individual fleet limits like they were supposed to have. This is less fun than the original tabletop game, and that came out in 1999.

Ah, see this one I personally disagree with. I actually like the system, as it makes individual unlocks more important. I can't just start out with a Battleship right out of the gates - I have to earn it.

BanjoJohn

Postby BanjoJohn » 06 April 2017, 22:19

Romeo wrote:
BanjoJohn wrote:Either metal gear solid 5, dark souls 3, or stardew valley are really the best game of 2016, for me at least.

This game was nice, but it got boring fast. I didn't like the translations they made from the tabletop i loved so much into a real time strategy. I don't feel like RTS fits with BFG at all.

Really? I'm curious as to why. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious as to why. The only genre besides the Real-Time Tactics option they could've used would've been 4X, which would've pushed the game waaaay further from its roots.
BanjoJohn wrote:Plus the changes they made to ships to make them all fit in the structure of light cruisers, cruisers, and battlecruisers instead of just having each race have their own individual fleet limits like they were supposed to have. This is less fun than the original tabletop game, and that came out in 1999.

Ah, see this one I personally disagree with. I actually like the system, as it makes individual unlocks more important. I can't just start out with a Battleship right out of the gates - I have to earn it.

Well instead of RTS or 4x they could have made it tactical turn based game with the same models and maps they have now, which I think would have gone over much better. Load times, stuttering, lag, etc, all kind of made transitioning from menu to battle and back again feel more like a chore.

What I meant for the last point, about the changes they made to the fleets, was that Eldar Pirates never had battlecruisers, they only had cruisers and light cruisers. Space Marines didnt have light cruisers, their strike cruisers count as cruisers. They changed the fleet lists to fit into one mold of battleships, battlecruisers, cruisers, light cruisers, so that each of them would unlock the same type of ship slots at the same level up. I don't have a big problem with needing to level up to unlock the battleships, but what I do think would have been better is if they kept the original fleet lists instead of altering them, and just altered the level up unlocks for the different races as needed.

They kinda sorta did that with space marines because they didnt alter anything to fill the battlecruiser slot, they just gave you more battlebarge, so I don't know why they couldn't have done that with eldar, instead of forcing a cruiser to be a battlecruiser they could have let you take another battleship, or unlock more light cruisers.

But you know what, its been a while, I think I'll re-install the game some time and give it another try. I didn't hate the game, but I was disappointed by my own expectations for the game.

Romeo

Postby Romeo » 07 April 2017, 15:58

BanjoJohn wrote:What I meant for the last point, about the changes they made to the fleets, was that Eldar Pirates never had battlecruisers, they only had cruisers and light cruisers. Space Marines didnt have light cruisers, their strike cruisers count as cruisers. They changed the fleet lists to fit into one mold of battleships, battlecruisers, cruisers, light cruisers, so that each of them would unlock the same type of ship slots at the same level up. I don't have a big problem with needing to level up to unlock the battleships, but what I do think would have been better is if they kept the original fleet lists instead of altering them, and just altered the level up unlocks for the different races as needed.

They kinda sorta did that with space marines because they didnt alter anything to fill the battlecruiser slot, they just gave you more battlebarge, so I don't know why they couldn't have done that with eldar, instead of forcing a cruiser to be a battlecruiser they could have let you take another battleship, or unlock more light cruisers.

But you know what, its been a while, I think I'll re-install the game some time and give it another try. I didn't hate the game, but I was disappointed by my own expectations for the game.

Ah, fair enough. I don't know why they didn't try that prior to the Tau and Space Marines either, could just be that they were worried about balancing (Bear in mind, the Eldar are already the race that has gone from both overpowered to underpowered, more variable might have made that even harder to manage). But I do understand the frustration at changing things.

CIRO

Postby CIRO » 08 April 2017, 00:38

I've basically only said elsewhere, things I'd rip apart, and what I'd like to see changed, this seems a good place to remind people that we hurt the ones we love, and ripping things apart is painful for the thing.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”