Dear Tindalos...your match making sucks ass.

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
TheWorldSmith

Re: Dear Tindalos...your match making sucks ass.

Postby TheWorldSmith » 10 September 2016, 18:48

Gameplay and mechanics above story and lore. Always.

Do you want an active playerbase, casual or competitive, that'll stick around and have fun whatever they're doing? The levelling and renown system needs to be removed for multiplayer. I think it's safe to say that the majority of the playerbase that owns this game doesn't like it.

The developers "vision" or the fact that 40k is "unfair" doesn't change that. Do you want a succesful product that is widely loved, enjoyed, and remembered through time? Or another 40k product that'll fall out of memory because of the developer's vision? Pick one. Too many 40k titles have fallen into this deathtrap. I hope that Armada won't do the same.

Regardless of whether or not you want a competitive scene (but it really does help if you do), the game needs to allow for easy pickup. A lot of people will come to this game wanting to play instead of progressing, and as an already niche title you'll be cutting the fanbase even smaller if you don't let people compete at the same exact level. Giving additional points doesn't balance it properly.

Look at StarCraft 2, XCOM (EW, EB, & 2), Command & Conquer (Generals or Tiberium Wars), Red Alert (2 or 3), Star Wars: Empire At War (And Forces of Corruption). They, alongside many others, are great titles that are still remembered and had amazing multiplayer scenes past their launches - which this title just hasn't retained. To me, at least, it's fairly obvious that the progression system in multiplayer is because of this.

It's appropriate for the campaign. Not for multiplayer. Not if you want to succeed in multiplayer and consistently maintain a larger playerbase.
"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!" - Exterminatus Extremis, M41

Drakausa

Postby Drakausa » 11 September 2016, 21:56

What I find difficult to understand is the simple fact that so many have dismissed what the design team said from (almost) the start of the game. THEY ARE UNCONCERNED ABOUT BALANCE IN THIS GAME! Why is this fact so difficult to understand by so many experienced gamers? Well, of course, experienced gamers understand (from experience) that with close balance then player skill gets first claim to victories and losses. Tindalos designers decided, for whatever reason, not to let balance be a major factor. That is simply the way the game is designed. Take it or leave it.

Bosie

Postby Bosie » 12 September 2016, 10:40

Drakausa wrote:What I find difficult to understand is the simple fact that so many have dismissed what the design team said from (almost) the start of the game. THEY ARE UNCONCERNED ABOUT BALANCE IN THIS GAME! Why is this fact so difficult to understand by so many experienced gamers? Well, of course, experienced gamers understand (from experience) that with close balance then player skill gets first claim to victories and losses. Tindalos designers decided, for whatever reason, not to let balance be a major factor. That is simply the way the game is designed. Take it or leave it.

Can you link your source material please?

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 12 September 2016, 11:33

Bosie wrote:
Drakausa wrote:What I find difficult to understand is the simple fact that so many have dismissed what the design team said from (almost) the start of the game. THEY ARE UNCONCERNED ABOUT BALANCE IN THIS GAME! Why is this fact so difficult to understand by so many experienced gamers? Well, of course, experienced gamers understand (from experience) that with close balance then player skill gets first claim to victories and losses. Tindalos designers decided, for whatever reason, not to let balance be a major factor. That is simply the way the game is designed. Take it or leave it.

Can you link your source material please?

They said once tha game balance is an on going process so they do "care" about balance but they don't really care about match making balance b/c "the warhammer universe is unfair"
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

MYNAME?

Postby MYNAME? » 13 September 2016, 17:24

There are only what? 200 players left playing the game? BFG is dead as hell atm. No way to fix MM with that small Player pool.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 13 September 2016, 18:22

MYNAME? wrote:There are only what? 200 players left playing the game? BFG is dead as hell atm. No way to fix MM with that small Player pool.

actully in a suprsing turn of events BFG:A's peak player count has jumped up to 1K+ recently im sure b/c of the beta + sale

http://steamcharts.com/app/363680

But SM dlc showed the same occurrence, its one thing to have the peak player count rise its another to see if it will retain said player count
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

Adrmial Seraph

Postby Adrmial Seraph » 13 September 2016, 18:51

Bludfist wrote:
MYNAME? wrote:There are only what? 200 players left playing the game? BFG is dead as hell atm. No way to fix MM with that small Player pool.

actully in a suprsing turn of events BFG:A's peak player count has jumped up to 1K+ recently im sure b/c of the beta + sale

But SM dlc showed the same occurrence, its one thing to have the peak player count rise its another to see if it will retain said player count

They have to fix the glaring issues with MM when a influx of players happens otherwise its all for naught.

Tindalos, i know you lurk the forums, nevermind for our sake, for YOUR game's sake. Fix important stuff like this.
No one is gonna stick around if they have to vs lvl 8 Admirals with lvl 10 ships when they're lvl 1-3. Bonus renown does NOT make up for the advantage due to unlocked ships, favors, crews and unlocked upgrade slots.

Bosie

Postby Bosie » 13 September 2016, 21:41

Adrmial Seraph wrote:
Bludfist wrote:

They have to fix the glaring issues with MM when a influx of players happens otherwise its all for naught.

Tindalos, i know you lurk the forums, nevermind for our sake, for YOUR game's sake. Fix important stuff like this.
No one is gonna stick around if they have to vs lvl 8 Admirals with lvl 10 ships when they're lvl 1-3. Bonus renown does NOT make up for the advantage due to unlocked ships, favors, crews and unlocked upgrade slots.

Scrap MP renown and merge the two modes please for the sake of player retention.

ForceUser

Postby ForceUser » 15 September 2016, 10:12

Picked up the game with the recent sale. Managed to grind up to lv6 IN in MP. It was pretty horrible and will probably make it so I never play MP again. When I ran into a LV10 Battleship fleet with my lv1 Battlecruiser the same match I hit lv6 was the last straw.

I've read this thread and to be honest, Tindalos can stick their 'narrative' up their ass. The whole fleet progression thing works *amazing* in Skirmish and in SP Campaign. I love it! But it's complete and utter ass in MP. I want to be beaten by someone that is better than me, not someone that is worse at the game than me but just happens to have been playing longer so has better stuff. Then there's the gloating and trolling that comes with it. Super glad I didn't pick this up at full price and I wont be supporting the game further although I absolutely love the Tau. I'll maybe play some co-op against the AI with some friends or play through the campaign eventually but probably shelve it after that, just like all my other friends.

Lore and Narrative is being used as a shitty excuse in this instance and it should never, ever trump gameplay regardless.

Adrmial Seraph

Postby Adrmial Seraph » 15 September 2016, 19:37

ForceUser wrote:Picked up the game with the recent sale. Managed to grind up to lv6 IN in MP. It was pretty horrible and will probably make it so I never play MP again. When I ran into a LV10 Battleship fleet with my lv1 Battlecruiser the same match I hit lv6 was the last straw.

I've read this thread and to be honest, Tindalos can stick their 'narrative' up their ass. The whole fleet progression thing works *amazing* in Skirmish and in SP Campaign. I love it! But it's complete and utter ass in MP. I want to be beaten by someone that is better than me, not someone that is worse at the game than me but just happens to have been playing longer so has better stuff. Then there's the gloating and trolling that comes with it. Super glad I didn't pick this up at full price and I wont be supporting the game further although I absolutely love the Tau. I'll maybe play some co-op against the AI with some friends or play through the campaign eventually but probably shelve it after that, just like all my other friends.

Lore and Narrative is being used as a shitty excuse in this instance and it should never, ever trump gameplay regardless.

This is exactly what I mean, I've talked to a lot of people about the issue in game and most reach the same conclusion.

The not caring about match making is basically killing multiplayer, people don't want to play it because being put against vastly over level'd admirals in comparison makes the grind nigh unbearable.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”