Little nice features

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Ahzek Ahriman

Little nice features

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 09 September 2016, 04:43

For a long while we have been pretty much thrashing Tindalos on a daily/weakly basis for all the things that need to be done and they haven't done them yet.

However in the midst of all the major, well visible issues (like ork or SM balancing issues) they keep implementing little cosmetic changes that many of us miss or ignore, but which actually make the game much more appealing as well as practical. So for a change, let's talk about things that actually make the dev team deserve some praise. I'd like to make a list to point out many interesting, nice little features that I noticed, and which you may want to take a closer look at in case you were too busy exterminating loyalist scum/purging heretics/killing foul xenos to notice them.

1. Macro weaponry range indicators (that which show when you point cursor at weapons icon) have slight (but visible enough) 3k range indicator, for when you have AP ammo upgrade [shamelessly elbows all ork players].

2. Most ships (if not all) have had their engine FX's improved at some point after the game release, devs didn't have to do it at all whatsoever, but they did and that makes our warships significantly prettier.

3. Tau update seems to have introduced a few unmentioned modifications. You can now zoom the camera much closer to the ships, something that was possible with SM ships but not with older factions. Again, makes us folks able to mastu..... ekhm. To appreciate the beauty of our ships better.

4. The same update also seems to have modified ordnance behaviour a little. Bomber seem to approach ships in a bit bigger variety of ways, for instance I've seen them chandle upwards after successful run and then return to carrier from high above the "battlefield". May be a bug, but appealing.

5. Still in ship visuals topic. Highlighting weapons when you move the cursor over their icon is a perfect example of those "small nice features". But initially that didn't work on all ships, most notably on chaos ships with favours. It got fixed at some point and now all weapons are highlighted, it wasn't any nagging issue but it got done, and it's awesome.

6. When talking about highlighting, how many of you have thought about critted parts being highlighted on the ship model before it got introduced? Few to no one I suppose, yet another "small nice feature" implemented by Tindalos.

7. Elite mode, no one wanted something like that, but it's been implemented and it's really cool. You can now fight boss ships in SS.

8. Ranked mode. While vast majority of us would probably want the removal or complete overhaul of multiplayer levelling/renown system, ranked is a good step in the right direction, giving both player equal grounds (more or less).

9. Improved battlefield event adnotations. Belt armour broken notifier. While everyone knows about this now, this feature was quite unexpected but so very welcome and useful. Also assault action success announcements.

10. I noticed 1 or 2 patches ago that weapons suddenly started to crit much more frequently. Or rather, they started to crit at rates they should crit judging by their theoretical crit chances. While it wasn't pointed out in patch notes I believe Tindalos silently fixed crit algorithm or something, because before that patch weapons almost didn't crit at all. That or RNG gods played the biggest prank ever on me.

11.Not so small but fits to this list. A whole Tau faction. You gotta admit they didn't do jack sh*t to balance for the last like, 3 months but in turn they made Tau very, very solidly. Balancing aside, their ships look simply beautiful, same goes for effects and especially, sounds/voices.

There are more than likely more small practical features that I missed/don't remember now, please feel free to point them out too.
Points above prove that although Tindalos may be slacking with a few very necessary changes, they do however keep implementing a lot of small things that make the game more user friendly and practical, and they do have a good sense of invention.

Overall you are doing a great job devs, I like this game a lot (but then again, I'm practically not playing multi) and for that, you have my big thanks.

But as I said, there are quite a few areas in the game that need changes ASAP, and I really suggest you direct more attention to our threads on this very forum. We really are discussing game issues thoroughly and our proposed solutions surely deserve at least major consideration.
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

Ravensburg
Tindalos Team

Re: Little nice features

Postby Ravensburg » 09 September 2016, 10:56

Thanks a lot for this dude.

Best,

Ravensburg

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 09 September 2016, 16:38

Ahzek Ahriman wrote:For a long while we have been pretty much thrashing Tindalos on a daily/weakly basis for all the things that need to be done and they haven't done them yet.

However in the midst of all the major, well visible issues (like ork or SM balancing issues) they keep implementing little cosmetic changes that many of us miss or ignore, but which actually make the game much more appealing as well as practical. So for a change, let's talk about things that actually make the dev team deserve some praise. I'd like to make a list to point out many interesting, nice little features that I noticed, and which you may want to take a closer look at in case you were too busy exterminating loyalist scum/purging heretics/killing foul xenos to notice them.

1. Macro weaponry range indicators (that which show when you point cursor at weapons icon) have slight (but visible enough) 3k range indicator, for when you have AP ammo upgrade [shamelessly elbows all ork players].

2. Most ships (if not all) have had their engine FX's improved at some point after the game release, devs didn't have to do it at all whatsoever, but they did and that makes our warships significantly prettier.

3. Tau update seems to have introduced a few unmentioned modifications. You can now zoom the camera much closer to the ships, something that was possible with SM ships but not with older factions. Again, makes us folks able to mastu..... ekhm. To appreciate the beauty of our ships better.

4. The same update also seems to have modified ordnance behaviour a little. Bomber seem to approach ships in a bit bigger variety of ways, for instance I've seen them chandle upwards after successful run and then return to carrier from high above the "battlefield". May be a bug, but appealing.

5. Still in ship visuals topic. Highlighting weapons when you move the cursor over their icon is a perfect example of those "small nice features". But initially that didn't work on all ships, most notably on chaos ships with favours. It got fixed at some point and now all weapons are highlighted, it wasn't any nagging issue but it got done, and it's awesome.

6. When talking about highlighting, how many of you have thought about critted parts being highlighted on the ship model before it got introduced? Few to no one I suppose, yet another "small nice feature" implemented by Tindalos.

7. Elite mode, no one wanted something like that, but it's been implemented and it's really cool. You can now fight boss ships in SS.

8. Ranked mode. While vast majority of us would probably want the removal or complete overhaul of multiplayer levelling/renown system, ranked is a good step in the right direction, giving both player equal grounds (more or less).

9. Improved battlefield event adnotations. Belt armour broken notifier. While everyone knows about this now, this feature was quite unexpected but so very welcome and useful. Also assault action success announcements.

10. I noticed 1 or 2 patches ago that weapons suddenly started to crit much more frequently. Or rather, they started to crit at rates they should crit judging by their theoretical crit chances. While it wasn't pointed out in patch notes I believe Tindalos silently fixed crit algorithm or something, because before that patch weapons almost didn't crit at all. That or RNG gods played the biggest prank ever on me.

11.Not so small but fits to this list. A whole Tau faction. You gotta admit they didn't do jack sh*t to balance for the last like, 3 months but in turn they made Tau very, very solidly. Balancing aside, their ships look simply beautiful, same goes for effects and especially, sounds/voices.

There are more than likely more small practical features that I missed/don't remember now, please feel free to point them out too.
Points above prove that although Tindalos may be slacking with a few very necessary changes, they do however keep implementing a lot of small things that make the game more user friendly and practical, and they do have a good sense of invention.

Overall you are doing a great job devs, I like this game a lot (but then again, I'm practically not playing multi) and for that, you have my big thanks.

But as I said, there are quite a few areas in the game that need changes ASAP, and I really suggest you direct more attention to our threads on this very forum. We really are discussing game issues thoroughly and our proposed solutions surely deserve at least major consideration.

This, plus all the other things. I don't post much and rarely multi-play, but I love this game. Thanks for doing what you do
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

Alexi_Menser
Community Moderator

Postby Alexi_Menser » 12 September 2016, 12:09

The forums need a like button or something...

Ravensburg wrote:Thanks a lot for this dude.

Best,

Ravensburg

You guys have earned it :)
Wit Beyond Measure Is Man's Greatest Treasure

Swirlby

Postby Swirlby » 12 September 2016, 13:57

Ravensburg wrote:Thanks a lot for this dude.

Best,

Ravensburg

Character is doing the right thing when no one's looking. Great job guys.
A stranger is just an enemy I haven't met yet.

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 12 September 2016, 18:04

I would like to add the following list of improvements:

-Non permanent criticals. This helps with gameplay and is even closer to the board game at the same time!

-Ranked matches for those who dont want to grind Mp. While I'm not a pvp guy, this is a very nice thing to do.

-Two free DLCs. Warhammer Total War put Chaos behind DLC paywall. Guess which game I did not buy.

There are a few features that I am not a fan of but 99% of those is due to GW being too strict on game system translation. It would be unfair to hold the developers responsible for GW's derping.

This is definately one of the best recent 40k games. I'm hopeful for Deathwatch too, though Dow3 fills me with rainbow multilaser dread.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Soulequilibrium

Postby Soulequilibrium » 25 September 2016, 12:42

I've not been on this forum for a while so sorry for the late bump. I just wanted to share my agreement with this thread. Yea the game isn't perfect, and it may be easier for people who mostly focus on single player to state this, but I think Tindalos did a very good job on Armada. Unlike a lot of games nowadays, it captivated me. Their DLC "scheme" is quite fair as well and I applaud them for that, given how anti-consumer some products can be in that field nowadays. Total War was a good example there Imperator.

You guys earned a fan in me with your efforts Tindalos. Keep up the good work. I have faith that this has been a learning experience for your studio and that the issues faced with Armada will result in better future products from you folks. Looking forward to see where it all goes.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”