What do you think about maybe side factions ? Maybe as DLC ?

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
StarSauron
(Former) Technical Tester

What do you think about maybe side factions ? Maybe as DLC ?

Postby StarSauron » 18 August 2016, 20:50

What do you think about maybe side factions ? You know that maybe from C&C Generals or Wargame Red Dragon.

The game Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is really good, you have nice mechanics, did keep the lore and pretty good balanced.

But maybe it could be even better ?

Well sometime you like a faction but it doest really fit your game style.
To be clear , I am not Talking about Take chaos, paint it Imperial and call it like "old school Imperial side faction"

1- If you play a side faction, it must be clear to your enemy , that he does face a faction "different" to the core faction.
2- Side faction does have it perks and disadvantages, but must be still balanced.
3- Keep same ships, but they act different.

Its just an idea , what you think ?
I mean after all the game is about customize your fleet, why not give even more ?

If all stuff is too good, then its too overpowered, so you can't have in same fleet too many advantages.

You see the problem is if something is good at the fleet, something else needs to be nerfed.
Maybe some people just want , have same fleet , but that should be different,
but in same time still be in lore and represent the faction they like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Well for Example Eldar, I am pretty sure there must be a close ranged version of them.
Immune to ram, shields that do not disappear if you dont move and make them range 3000. max 4500.
Call them maybe Eldar Pirates or something.

-Well a lot of Imperial Players want to make Nova Cannon great Again.
So why not ? Call the side faction Imperial Prototype (Adeptus Mechanicus) and let them have good Nova Cannons,
better Aiming , but instead suck at boarding actions , lightning strikes and be more expensive ?

I mean by too good Nova cannon you are forced to close combat, than Imperial are too good in close range.
So why not design a Imperial faction then is not so good in close combat , but has this weird cool Nova cannons all that people want ?

-Orcs seem to have issues too, I really like the Zzap fleet, its really fun to use, some people seem to want "different" orcs, close range orcs are hard to make , I mean they have Nova cannons , tracktor beams, hell even ram advantage after favours, its a pretty awesome faction that offers so many custom stuff and abilities, but it makes it even more hard to balance.

So why not simply another Orc faction, call them em Orc raiders ?
And they have no long range weapons at all, can teleport nearby allies, but can't manurer than for 10 seconds.
All weapons have a chanceof 1% to blow up, but they have 50% more weapons on the ships , I mean there is no limit for immagination.

-Chaos, yeah maybe add the Malal worshippers as side faction ? Or "arch-heretics" that have this Planet killer Ship ?

-Tau, Farsight Enclaves, who do close combat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do that all stuff would be a lot of work, like program and balance , so why not to pay for an "alternative fleet" ?

Last edited by StarSauron on 18 August 2016, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

StarSauron

Re: What do you think about maybe side factions ? Maybe as DLC ?

Postby StarSauron » 18 August 2016, 20:57

Right now I just see this issue, the game will have more fleets.
Its hard to balance, so certain things just have to be nerfed.
You can't have in same fleet too much awesome stuff at once.
Well for sure there are DLCs planned with Necron and Tyrranids , than what ?

By 8 faction it would be really hard to balance them out, but still keep the good stuff.

So side faction could in my opinion help there out.

McNash

Postby McNash » 19 August 2016, 07:31

StarSauron wrote:Right now I just see this issue, the game will have more fleets.

By 8 faction it would be really hard to balance them out, but still keep the good stuff.

Not just that, according to SteamDB the only time we got real playerbase growth is whenever Tindalos releases new content, the Space Marines for example, managed to spike players into more than 2900, I think combining balance updates with the release of new factions and features will keep the game alive, after all, if Eugen Systems managed to pull that trick with the Wargame series while making some cash, I don't see why Tindalos Interactive couldn't do that.

StarSauron

Postby StarSauron » 19 August 2016, 10:57

McNash wrote:
StarSauron wrote:Right now I just see this issue, the game will have more fleets.

Not just that, according to SteamDB the only time we got real playerbase growth is whenever Tindalos releases new content, the Space Marines for example, managed to spike players into more than 2900, I think combining balance updates with the release of new factions and features will keep the game alive, after all, if Eugen Systems managed to pull that trick with the Wargame series while making some cash, I don't see why Tindalos Interactive couldn't do that.

Keep game alive by new content ? Yes thats an idea.

Ashardalon

Postby Ashardalon » 19 August 2016, 12:36

i dont like the idea of releasing factions just to release factions, i love how every faction is unique
especially something like a pay to win unnerfed zapspam fleet, in my opinion zaps still need some tuning down
if you like that kind of fleet, it might take a while but necrons will be fun for you
i would prefer if they did extra fleets like the adeptus sororitas or something rather than just a unbalanced copy
be patient more stuff will come
and if they continue with how they have done it till now every one of them will be unique and interesting and they will have my money whether they want it or not

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 19 August 2016, 12:42

How do dlc factions work in this game? like if you dont have the SM dlc do they still show up as opponents in skirmish and multi?
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 19 August 2016, 12:50

StarSauron wrote:-Well for Example Eldar, I am pretty sure there must be a close ranged version of them.
Immune to ram, shields that do not disappear if you dont move and make them range 3000. max 4500.

This is quite likely to occur in some form as their are two Eldar factions that haven't been added:

The Dark Eldar
-Make use of mimic engines that can copy the signitures of other ships, making them seem like friendly ships until its far too late.
-Very powerful assault craft/boarding.

The CraftWorld Eldar
-Cheaper and more numerous than corsairs in general
-Geared towards defence rather than offence
-holofeilds

We currently already have Eldar pirates, the Eldar corsairs
-hyper aggressive
-heavy damage, easy to kill.
-holofeilds

StarSauron wrote:-Well a lot of Imperial Players want to make Nova Cannon great Again.
So why not ? Call the side faction Imperial Prototype (Adeptus Mechanicus) and let them have good Nova Cannons,
better Aiming , but instead suck at boarding actions , lightning strikes and be more expensive ?

I mean by too good Nova cannon you are forced to close combat, than Imperial are too good in close range.
So why not design a Imperial faction then is not so good in close combat , but has this weird cool Nova cannons all that people want?

Adeptus Mechanicus have their own fleet of ships, although they use variants of Imperial and Space Marine ships. Things you can expect to be different over Imperial/SM designs designs:
-Auto Loaders (faster firing)
-Very few Nova Cannon-armed ships (only the battleship having one)
-Might be more accurate
-Might be a little bit tougher
-They actually have quite a few carriers. Carrier CL, Cruiser and Battleship options.
-Very powerful CLs (Endeavour series and the Explorator Class). Cruiser weapons on CL hulls.

So you get better broadsides, more carriers and a more powerful early game.
Might be more expensive and come with exotic upgrades but the more I look the more I want this faction in the game.

Rouge Traders will also be added, these will have highly customised ship classes and those they have managed to buy from the navy.
So they will be mostly IN ships with a few special traits and upgrades (they use xenos tech quite often) probably as well as a few additions:

Conquest Star-Gallion (really big beastly ship with lots of guns, not on par with a battleship but its a mean cruiser or Battle cruiser)

Ambition Class Cruiser (Tyrant Broadsides, but no prow weapons)

Rouge Trader Class Cruiser (looks like its lacking the armoured prow and prow weapons though)

Havoc Class Raider (more fragile but more deadly Sword. Looks like a Chaos Infidel or Idolator)

Tempest Assault Frigate (don't know for certain this is a rouge trader ship, but it would make sense given it has such large cargo space. Sword variant that can board and has shorter range, but deadlier, Melta Pulsars)

Turbulant Heavy Frigate (another unknown that would make sense for its larger cargo space. A Frigate with a CL broadside)

StarSauron wrote:-Orcs seem to have issues too, I really like the Zzap fleet, its really fun to use, some people seem to want "different" orcs, close range orcs are hard to make , I mean they have Nova cannons , tracktor beams, hell even ram advantage after favours, its a pretty awesome faction that offers so many custom stuff and abilities, but it makes it even more hard to balance.

And they have no long range weapons at all, can teleport nearby allies, but can't manurer than for 10 seconds.
All weapons have a chanceof 1% to blow up, but they have 50% more weapons on the ships , I mean there is no limit for immagination.

Closest you where ever getting to this was different Ork war bands, but they have already been done as Favours so its a no-go.
Feral Orks might be fun, just really crappy ships in immense numbers, but that gimmick would get old really fast.

StarSauron wrote:-Chaos, yeah maybe add the Malal worshippers as side faction ? Or "arch-heretics" that have this Planet killer Ship ?

Interesting ideas, neither of them have any foundation in the lore (but I do like the ideas).
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

Mirorog

Postby Mirorog » 19 August 2016, 16:41

CALiGeR190 wrote:
StarSauron wrote:-Well for Example Eldar, I am pretty sure there must be a close ranged version of them.

This is quite likely to occur in some form as their are two Eldar factions that haven't been added:

The Dark Eldar
-Make use of mimic engines that can copy the signitures of other ships, making them seem like friendly ships until its far too late.
-Very powerful assault craft/boarding.

The CraftWorld Eldar
-Cheaper and more numerous than corsairs in general
-Geared towards defence rather than offence
-holofeilds

We currently already have Eldar pirates, the Eldar corsairs
-hyper aggressive
-heavy damage, easy to kill.
-holofeilds

StarSauron wrote:-Well a lot of Imperial Players want to make Nova Cannon great Again.

So why not design a Imperial faction then is not so good in close combat , but has this weird cool Nova cannons all that people want?

Adeptus Mechanicus have their own fleet of ships, although they use variants of Imperial and Space Marine ships. Things you can expect to be different over Imperial/SM designs designs:
-Auto Loaders (faster firing)
-Very few Nova Cannon-armed ships (only the battleship having one)
-Might be more accurate
-Might be a little bit tougher
-They actually have quite a few carriers. Carrier CL, Cruiser and Battleship options.
-Very powerful CLs (Endeavour series and the Explorator Class). Cruiser weapons on CL hulls.

So you get better broadsides, more carriers and a more powerful early game.
Might be more expensive and come with exotic upgrades but the more I look the more I want this faction in the game.

Rouge Traders will also be added, these will have highly customised ship classes and those they have managed to buy from the navy.
So they will be mostly IN ships with a few special traits and upgrades (they use xenos tech quite often) probably as well as a few additions:

Conquest Star-Gallion (really big beastly ship with lots of guns, not on par with a battleship but its a mean cruiser or Battle cruiser)

Ambition Class Cruiser (Tyrant Broadsides, but no prow weapons)

Rouge Trader Class Cruiser (looks like its lacking the armoured prow and prow weapons though)

Havoc Class Raider (more fragile but more deadly Sword. Looks like a Chaos Infidel or Idolator)

Tempest Assault Frigate (don't know for certain this is a rouge trader ship, but it would make sense given it has such large cargo space. Sword variant that can board and has shorter range, but deadlier, Melta Pulsars)

Turbulant Heavy Frigate (another unknown that would make sense for its larger cargo space. A Frigate with a CL broadside)

StarSauron wrote:-Orcs seem to have issues too, I really like the Zzap fleet, its really fun to use, some people seem to want "different" orcs, close range orcs are hard to make , I mean they have Nova cannons , tracktor beams, hell even ram advantage after favours, its a pretty awesome faction that offers so many custom stuff and abilities, but it makes it even more hard to balance.

Closest you where ever getting to this was different Ork war bands, but they have already been done as Favours so its a no-go.
Feral Orks might be fun, just really crappy ships in immense numbers, but that gimmick would get old really fast.

StarSauron wrote:-Chaos, yeah maybe add the Malal worshippers as side faction ? Or "arch-heretics" that have this Planet killer Ship ?

Interesting ideas, neither of them have any foundation in the lore (but I do like the ideas).

There can be "Black Crusade fleet". It's basically same as usual chaos fleet up to battleships (some ship's cost can be altered), and instead of battleships there are Nemesis ships.
Planet Killer should be in separate slot, and only be usable in certain gamemodes. Because no one wan't to see this thing in space station assault/assasination.

I think it can be a fun fleet, centered around very powerful and deadly ships.

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 20 August 2016, 07:35

I would say they should add the core BFG factions in, than the additional BFG fleets, and only than subfactions.

So first Tau, Tyranid, Necron.

Second Mechanicus, Dark Eldar.

Third any "variant" fleet.

Also remember they need to balance it all out to some degree.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

McNash

Postby McNash » 26 August 2016, 05:59

Is there any novel featuring Tau warships? There are some good ones with necrons and tyranids but the only references I found for the tau fleet in recent fluff were in Kauyon and Mont'ka, and those books felt like Games Workshop had to dumb down the Imperium a lot to allow the Tau to actually have a chance, also, the campaign was a lot of power-creep.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”