BFG on its last legs

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: BFG on its last legs

Postby Imperator5 » 06 July 2016, 10:02

Ravensburg wrote:That's cool to see that some of you understand the incredible amount of different problems and steps it requires to add and balancing content to BFGA. Regarding the specific ships of the Imperium that were added in Armada for the Battlefleet Armagueddon and bastions, no it wouldn't be that hard to implement but requires 3D works for the different Voss pattern "Aquila" prow, the light cruisers and the Falchion. Also some of th ship special capacities should be translate to the game, sensors for the Oberon, special lock-on for the Apocalypse and a troop resist bonus against boarding (not lightning strike) for the Endeavour and the Endurance.

Other problem for doing every single existing ship is that the Imperial navy is crowded with different ship classes while other factions sometimes only get 4 or 5 line ships. So should it be add as an addition to the existing fleet or as a variant fleet? We're of course thinking about that kind of things.

Regarding Balancing. I consider that the game is much better as it is now then before. Zap spam seems to be the biggest issue here. But the last patches didn't change the fact that it's something that was here from the beginning. Zap always had this huge damage burst, so It's more an evolution of the Meta induced by the recent changes that pointed out that this weapon damage was too high.

Finally, I think that if some of you expect perfect balance from a game you will be more than often disappointed. Balancing an RTS is probably the most tricky things you can face. Some of you may be really harsh in comments, I think that it's mostly due to the fact that you don't get all the keys to understand the different issues we're facing while developing such a game. Also we make mistakes like everyone else and sometimes deserves a good shitpost : ) But that's ok, It's kind of stimulating in a way!

Ravensburg

Don't worry we understand the difficulties but I would suggest adding the new IN ships to the default IN faction, instead of making a different faction. Though more ship slots would be great, it would help with tailoring fleets to suit multiple threats.

The only big balance problem I see are pulsars, but apart from that all the rest is fixable with a quick change to attributes. The biggest balance problems to me were Eldar in CTT and eldar pulsars.

Also, isn't voss pattern ships a whole new ship? I understand why they were left out, they would give Alpharius a whole lot of work to do.

Though I guess you could go around with it by making a new prow and a new aft section (different bridge and added engine armour, the rest could use existing assets for the Oberon.

The Apocalype would be the trickiest, that's why I decided for adding the Victory, whose longer ranged lances seem like a good idea while the Apocalypse can be a short ranged heavy hiter.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Iam Alpharius
Tindalos Team

Postby Iam Alpharius » 06 July 2016, 10:15

Imperator5 wrote:
Ravensburg wrote:That's cool to see that some of you understand the incredible amount of different problems and steps it requires to add and balancing content to BFGA. Regarding the specific ships of the Imperium that were added in Armada for the Battlefleet Armagueddon and bastions, no it wouldn't be that hard to implement but requires 3D works for the different Voss pattern "Aquila" prow, the light cruisers and the Falchion. Also some of th ship special capacities should be translate to the game, sensors for the Oberon, special lock-on for the Apocalypse and a troop resist bonus against boarding (not lightning strike) for the Endeavour and the Endurance.

Other problem for doing every single existing ship is that the Imperial navy is crowded with different ship classes while other factions sometimes only get 4 or 5 line ships. So should it be add as an addition to the existing fleet or as a variant fleet? We're of course thinking about that kind of things.

Regarding Balancing. I consider that the game is much better as it is now then before. Zap spam seems to be the biggest issue here. But the last patches didn't change the fact that it's something that was here from the beginning. Zap always had this huge damage burst, so It's more an evolution of the Meta induced by the recent changes that pointed out that this weapon damage was too high.

Finally, I think that if some of you expect perfect balance from a game you will be more than often disappointed. Balancing an RTS is probably the most tricky things you can face. Some of you may be really harsh in comments, I think that it's mostly due to the fact that you don't get all the keys to understand the different issues we're facing while developing such a game. Also we make mistakes like everyone else and sometimes deserves a good shitpost : ) But that's ok, It's kind of stimulating in a way!

Ravensburg

Don't worry we understand the difficulties but I would suggest adding the new IN ships to the default IN faction, instead of making a different faction. Though more ship slots would be great, it would help with tailoring fleets to suit multiple threats.

The only big balance problem I see are pulsars, but apart from that all the rest is fixable with a quick change to attributes. The biggest balance problems to me were Eldar in CTT and eldar pulsars.

Also, isn't voss pattern ships a whole new ship? I understand why they were left out, they would give Alpharius a whole lot of work to do.

Though I guess you could go around with it by making a new prow and a new aft section (different bridge and added engine armour, the rest could use existing assets for the Oberon.

The Apocalype would be the trickiest, that's why I decided for adding the Victory, whose longer ranged lances seem like a good idea while the Apocalypse can be a short ranged heavy hiter.

Haha i am just VFX artist, so if we add new Imp ship it will be a matter of repositioning some FX to fit in the new engine mesh and that's about it, the current system is quit modular and robust as you may have see with your mod ;p.
I am not Alpharius.

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 06 July 2016, 10:24

Iam Alpharius wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:

Ravensburg

Haha i am just VFX artist, so if we add new Imp ship it will be a matter of repositioning some FX to fit in the new engine mesh and that's about it, the current system is quit modular and robust as you may have see with your mod ;p.

Oh sorry! Yeah I remember now, yeah the fx work would not be hard. The big thing would be balancing them and making the whole new ship model!

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 06 July 2016, 13:28

Ravensburg wrote: It's kind of stimulating in a way!

You aren't a real programmer until you learn to like it. Muahahahahaha!
Do you hear the voices too?!?

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 06 July 2016, 16:00

For the most part, I think the game is balanced fairly well. Definitely better than in the beta and release. I'm not saying it's perfect. Personally, I'd like to lose the zzap range upgrade and the wierdboy tower in exchange for the modified AP (reduce armour BY 25%), scanner range, and applying the range upgrade to kannons. I think that would move orks to the CQC and medium range again. The other races and abilities seem to be in a pretty good place. It would be nice if updates ca,e out more frequently, but I feel that way about all my games. Life, multiple projects, unforseen consequences, etc. can make development difficult. It seems like Tindolos is working hard and engaging with the community in a constructive way. I'm glad I pre-purchased and the team still has my support, for what its worth.
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 06 July 2016, 16:39

malcontent333 wrote:For the most part, I think the game is balanced fairly well. Definitely better than in the beta and release. I'm not saying it's perfect. Personally, I'd like to lose the zzap range upgrade and the wierdboy tower in exchange for the modified AP (reduce armour BY 25%), scanner range, and applying the range upgrade to kannons. I think that would move orks to the CQC and medium range again. The other races and abilities seem to be in a pretty good place. It would be nice if updates ca,e out more frequently, but I feel that way about all my games. Life, multiple projects, unforseen consequences, etc. can make development difficult. It seems like Tindolos is working hard and engaging with the community in a constructive way. I'm glad I pre-purchased and the team still has my support, for what its worth.

Same here, and since the game is moddable, I'll be buying future DLCs too, as I promised.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”