Ideas similar to the weird boy tower.

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Someuntrustworthygit

Ideas similar to the weird boy tower.

Postby Someuntrustworthygit » 28 June 2016, 21:21

Dakka turrets: adds a lotsa gunz to the hull, not taking upgrades for lotsa gunz (really big gunz etc.), each crew point into grotz (because grotz increase skill and fire rate, similar to the weirdboy tower) increases the chance to fire 50% more shots by 10%. Kannon turret: adds a lotsa heavy kannonz to the hull, each crew point into dakka master increases it's damage by 2. these are upgrades that will increase the "this ship has a lot of dakka on it" dealing, and don't say it's OP because that'll mean the weird boy tower is OP in which case criticize THAT upgrade.

Avlaen

Re: Ideas similar to the weird boy tower.

Postby Avlaen » 29 June 2016, 01:23

currently the wierd boy tower is doing too well, probably too well as i see it in every damn ork fleet and it is really powerful.

But as to these upgrades, what upgrade would they be replacing? and they would have to be mutually exclusive otherwise they would be way too powerful. also weird boy tower can get away with it as they dont need a visual model on the ship where as the ones you suggested it would.

Sagranda

Postby Sagranda » 29 June 2016, 09:49

Avlaen wrote:currently the wierd boy tower is doing too well, probably too well as i see it in every damn ork fleet and it is really powerful.

I wonder if someone ever tried to make an Ork fleet in which Weirdboy Towers fare well warp out via mutiny.
For them to do well, they need to put 3 crew members into Weirdboyz and my guess is that they forgo the Chained Squigs for it.

But as to these upgrades, what upgrade would they be replacing?

Bonkers Big Mek
Cleva Mekboy
Gork Blessed Pilots
I play Orkz to collect all those salty Imperial tears
#FeelsWaaaghBoss

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 29 June 2016, 11:07

Sagranda wrote:
Avlaen wrote:currently the wierd boy tower is doing too well, probably too well as i see it in every damn ork fleet and it is really powerful.

I wonder if someone ever tried to make an Ork fleet in which Weirdboy Towers fare well warp out via mutiny.
For them to do well, they need to put 3 crew members into Weirdboyz and my guess is that they forgo the Chained Squigs for it.

Bonkers Big Mek
Cleva Mekboy
Gork Blessed Pilots

Well out of 9 points, I'm sure they can max out both weirdboy AND Squid.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Sagranda

Postby Sagranda » 29 June 2016, 11:21

Imperator5 wrote:
Sagranda wrote:

Bonkers Big Mek
Cleva Mekboy
Gork Blessed Pilots

Well out of 9 points, I'm sure they can max out both weirdboy AND Squid.

They could, but they also could forego the Squids and speck into Grotz.
That's why I said "I guess".
Most Ork Zzap fleets I have seen do this btw, but some of them take Rally as replacement (though that's the minority)
I play Orkz to collect all those salty Imperial tears
#FeelsWaaaghBoss

Ubikuuu

Postby Ubikuuu » 29 June 2016, 11:51

Yeah im one of the Rallyer.
Giving up full detection Skills stings sometimes (as in: it gives Tzeentch carriers a chance).

Also. Here we have decreed Wierdboy Tower is UP and useless, get out with your facts!
Btw the fact that it does not get the shield ignore helps a lot with beacon-slapping.

On a broader and more relevant note, I think the concept of crew-tied upgrades is very good.
Per se Wierdboy Tower is a versatile, small but relevant help to close range Ork brawling post AP removal; you can make it more than that, but you got to pay a price.
Mind not the power of the specific weapon here, but the concept itself.

Similar options could be given to all races, allowing for more meaningful crew choices, it could be tied to Upgrades, but also Skills or even Favors and faction features.
It could allow for soft nerfs: bring something down and pay crew to have it back.
Or soft buffs: bring something down a bit and allow it to go beyond its present self via crew investing (or don't bring it down at all, here you can juggle with the break-even-point in crew for added versatility).

A few examples completely out of my ass mind you.
Nurgle Favor. It does one dps, but for every Demonic Presence crew it adds 1 dps.
Slaneesh. Same thing with the silence duration. Cut it down and allow it to be brought back up to similar levels.
AP rounds and Mechanicum crew.
The Eldar Fragile trait, whatever!

Of course in general the crew to invest in should be one of the less used, or be somehow non optimal to the bonus given: an AP improvement bonus tied to Master Gunner would be a no-brainer for a Dominator or a Carnage.
Still it could make sense if carefully applied to help with things that really need some love as per OP example.
Eg. Orks Master Gunner chips away at the Greenskins aim penalty for Gunz, bringing it up to standard IN/Chaos levels at 3 improvements. Again, small help on a weak, default gun gained with a synergetic crew you want anyway, but if there are multiple such coices...

Anyway the one time I briefly brought this up on the Steam forums a very mean Ork player told me I "just don't understand" so what do I know.

Edit.
Two more considerations.
Having a meta where non-maxed crews becomes viable, if not the norm, would be good methinks.
The very fact that certain crew members are considered a tax to be paid tells us something.
I am alive and you are all dead

Leveling up Chaos:
Spoiler : :
https://www.twitch.tv/ubikuuu

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”