Initial SM impressions

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: Initial SM impressions

Postby Imperator5 » 22 June 2016, 09:59

CALiGeR190 wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:Long range lances really ruin the Vanguard. Their dps is not that much, but when they pierce the armour, that dps becomes much more valuable.

Your forgetting these ships are fast and have shields.
A Vanguard or Strike Cruiser will have no problems closing with a longer-ranged enemy and dealing with them in fairly short order with assault actions and prow weapons.

A vanguard won't. A strike cruiser can if it gets lucky, but I would not put it up against a Gothic.

Also, half of their boarding can be countered if you take a carrier in your fleet.

The only thing I can see them doing good against on a general basis are pure carrier fleets or orks who got shafted in the patch. But that's the Strike cruiser, which is better off than the Crapguard.
Like Eldar, the fighter skill negates carriers. Also, what they can do, Eldar can do better.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Shaftoe
Location: Imperium of Man, Holy Terra, Territory of Ancient Russia.

Postby Shaftoe » 22 June 2016, 10:27

Space marines are too specific. There is much work to be done. I hope players won't hesitate to post feedback.
"There is no such thing as innocence, merely variety of degrees of guilt" - Inquisitorial motto.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 22 June 2016, 11:04

Shaftoe wrote:Space marines are too specific. There is much work to be done. I hope players won't hesitate to post feedback.

To be fair, space marines are meant to be specific. Their ships are mainly designed for planetary assault: get in close, hit important targets, deploy the troops. They aren't meant to have the versatility of the Imperial Navy, as that would upset the balance of power. The navy gets pissy that the marines even have ships with lances like the Nova because lances are specifically ship-to-ship weapons

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 22 June 2016, 11:12

Scorch715 wrote:
Shaftoe wrote:Space marines are too specific. There is much work to be done. I hope players won't hesitate to post feedback.

To be fair, space marines are meant to be specific. Their ships are mainly designed for planetary assault: get in close, hit important targets, deploy the troops. They aren't meant to have the versatility of the Imperial Navy, as that would upset the balance of power. The navy gets pissy that the marines even have ships with lances like the Nova because lances are specifically ship-to-ship weapons

this. Space Marines aren't supposed to have a large and varied navy, what they have is only grudgingly accepted by the navy, and the various varients that Tindalos have given us (which BTW are awesome and I hope when GW finally gets around to relaunching the table top they take note of these ideas) would likely be the cause of a LOT of grumbling.

Shaftoe
Location: Imperium of Man, Holy Terra, Territory of Ancient Russia.

Postby Shaftoe » 22 June 2016, 12:23

Oh, you started... They should be a little bit more flexible. Faction is raw at the moment. And you two and me are to make it better.

Just go there and find something to report. Serve the Emperor today, tomorrow you may be dead!
"There is no such thing as innocence, merely variety of degrees of guilt" - Inquisitorial motto.

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 22 June 2016, 12:37

the only thing that i can safely say is god awful is the vanguard. its the worst ship in the game. the normal strike cruisers are good and fun to use, and battle barges are beastly buggers

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 22 June 2016, 12:39

Avlaen wrote:the only thing that i can safely say is god awful is the vanguard. its the worst ship in the game. the normal strike cruisers are good and fun to use, and battle barges are beastly buggers

Yeah, the Strike cruisers are okey. They are not great, but not bad.

The Bombardment Battlebarge is amazing. The lance one I feel is very lacklustre though.

The Vanguards yeah, but I hope the devs are aware of the issue.

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 22 June 2016, 12:42

Imperator5 wrote:
Avlaen wrote:the only thing that i can safely say is god awful is the vanguard. its the worst ship in the game. the normal strike cruisers are good and fun to use, and battle barges are beastly buggers

The Bombardment Battlebarge is amazing. The lance one I feel is very lacklustre though.

while i agree the lance one is the worst of the pair, i do feel its still Decent it has 9 forward facing lance dps when paired with the turrets which is nothing to sneeze at especially if you upgrade the range

Halstead

Postby Halstead » 22 June 2016, 13:01

MYNAME? wrote:I think what SM REALLY needs is the removal of AP ammo and armor pen torps. Torps need a damage buff to compimsate for it. We all knew that chaos and imperials will down right butt fuck SM ships with this.
Removal of AP will justify their lower health pools and balance 75 armor I think.
Again I think everything being AP is the root of all problems.
The problem with that is the armor against weapons is basically a save and not damage reduction, damage get through or is completely blocked. AP reduce the armor against the weapon to 25 which mean 25% chance of blocking damage. If you buff the torpedo damage, they can get ridiculous powerful even if they don't have AP.

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 22 June 2016, 13:04

Avlaen wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:

while i agree the lance one is the worst of the pair, i do feel its still Decent it has 9 forward facing lance dps when paired with the turrets which is nothing to sneeze at especially if you upgrade the range

It is good for chasing, as in it is better than the Dauntless, Murder or Hades for chasing. Not as good as the Eldar at it though. It is a situational ship, I feel the hangar one is just more flexible.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”