Cobra's...

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
Demoulius

Cobra's...

Postby Demoulius » 14 June 2016, 02:03

Hey all.

I just had a space station assault mission and I sat there thinking.... Well... I got 0 points to spend. If everything is priced according to how good the ship is.... Why cant I select Cobra's? :lol:

Seriously though in the tabletop they got a role and are quite good at it. A combined torpedo volley from a few Cobras is actually quite frightening there and theyre cheap enough that you can have 6 for the same price as a Lunar/Gothic/Dominator etc etc.

In Armada? Not so much. Their arnament is the same but in my opinion I never feel I should take one, even if only have points for just 1 Cobra. Il just take the extra (potential) renown bonus if I win... For their points cost they are just not any good.

I also dont think the IN favour that rewards a Cobra after a set time is...well...worth taking, really.

Am I alone in this? :|

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Re: Cobra's...

Postby CALiGeR190 » 14 June 2016, 07:49

Demoulius wrote:Hey all.

I just had a space station assault mission and I sat there thinking.... Well... I got 0 points to spend. If everything is priced according to how good the ship is.... Why cant I select Cobra's? :lol:

Seriously though in the tabletop they got a role and are quite good at it. A combined torpedo volley from a few Cobras is actually quite frightening there and theyre cheap enough that you can have 6 for the same price as a Lunar/Gothic/Dominator etc etc.

In Armada? Not so much. Their arnament is the same but in my opinion I never feel I should take one, even if only have points for just 1 Cobra. Il just take the extra (potential) renown bonus if I win... For their points cost they are just not any good.

I also dont think the IN favour that rewards a Cobra after a set time is...well...worth taking, really.

Am I alone in this? :|

They are only really good if you spam as many as humanly possible and exclusively use the IN favour, then you can overwhelm opponents with numbers... Otherwise they are useless.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

Ire

Postby Ire » 14 June 2016, 16:16

Well, part of the problem is how torps didn't really translate from the TT nearly as powerfully.

If it were a direct translation, you'd

a) have no cone spread
b) do 100 damage/torp
c) have something like 1/3 to 1/2 the current cooldown

The trade off for all this was it no longer requires the reload order (as orders are completely different).

As they exist now, the biggest problem to them is that auto-fireing torps doesn't work well. If you set to forward engage, your torps will almost never have a shot lined up on a circling enemy ship. Forward engage should be changed to a "lead the target" mechanic, or some other fix so its not a micromanage nightmare.

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 14 June 2016, 16:43

Ire wrote:a) have no cone spread

This is the most important thing. I hate the cone. I don't mind the current damage or the micromanage aspects, but the cone is stupid.
Do you hear the voices too?!?

BanjoJohn

Postby BanjoJohn » 15 June 2016, 15:05

Torpedo spread, and the short distance they must travel before being armed are two changes to torps I dont really like.

Demoulius

Postby Demoulius » 15 June 2016, 22:46

I dont mind the arming time, or the cone. Part of the problem is that they are quite hard to aim in groups as you have to fire each ship individually (cant group fire them sadly...) and their pricing.

When you compare the cruiser who got a point reduction and then factor in the point INCREASE that cobra's took they are just to damn useless for their points.

They are hard (or clumsy) to use effectivly. Cruisers have gotten cheaper. Sword and firestorm frigates arent much more expensive.

Leads to useless Cobra's....

BanjoJohn

Postby BanjoJohn » 17 June 2016, 19:06

Another thing is that the torpedoes actually have to individually touch the enemy ship, instead of the whole salvo getting to 'attack' at once if any of them touch, it makes quite the difference, but I can also see it being this way because of less restrictions on how often you fire, etc.

aprg

Postby aprg » 17 June 2016, 19:34

Demoulius wrote:I also dont think the IN favour that rewards a Cobra after a set time is...well...worth taking, really.

Making an Imperial Fleet based around torps and the IN Favour can do decently, actually; at least against some kinds of opponents. But yeah, you kinda have to build your fleet around it.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”