Modding BFG:A

Talk about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada here!
WhoopieMonster

Modding BFG:A

Postby WhoopieMonster » 27 March 2016, 12:04

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to say I've really been enjoying the game. Particularly the first 4 levels, often remaking captains to try different ships and skill combos.

Now on to the point of the thread. I'm interested in modding this game. I've noticed pretty much everything is in a single pak file. I've yet to try and unpack it, as I first wanted to ask if I am 'allowed' to do so? I'd assume private use is acceptable even if sharing mods is not. Has any one tried to mod the game already? If you have what are your successes and failures?

Beernchips

Re: Modding BFG:A

Postby Beernchips » 27 March 2016, 12:13

Be very careful, GW is very harsh about modding in their licenses.
I would recommend you to wait any official information from Tindalos or Focus team before do anything
Repent, for tomorrow you die

CTCParadox

Postby CTCParadox » 27 March 2016, 12:48

Really? There's heaps of mods for DoW.

Mirorog

Postby Mirorog » 27 March 2016, 12:53

It's possible to unpack this .pak file, and it's easy. Then there are a lot of .uasset stuff, models and stuff. However most of the models are segmented in 5+ files, because ships in-game are modular. I've exported Planet Killer model, here it is:

nandemonai

Postby nandemonai » 27 March 2016, 12:56

how did you unpack it? It'd be interesting to look though the hidden stats of units

Mirorog

Postby Mirorog » 27 March 2016, 13:05

how did you unpack it? It'd be interesting to look though the hidden stats of units

I just googled "unreal engine .pak" and this was first link:
http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1005
I think it crashed at the end of unpacking, but that's not a big deal. I exported models with Umodel, and then it converted them to .obj (and it was more difficult than it sounds). I have no idea how to view things that are not models.

Bludfist

Postby Bludfist » 27 March 2016, 13:08

total halo conversion mod

i wish it could be a thing
Chaos walking into Aldorf be like
Spoiler : :

WhoopieMonster

Postby WhoopieMonster » 27 March 2016, 13:26

Beernchips wrote:Be very careful, GW is very harsh about modding in their licenses.
I would recommend you to wait any official information from Tindalos or Focus team before do anything

They only lose their shit when you mix ips. Halo vs 40k would cause issues. Adding new ships/modifying existing ones wouldn't. Same as DoW.

Thanks for the link, Mirorog.

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 27 March 2016, 17:59

Wow amazing! I would love to mod this game!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515

Check out my mod thread, I would love to have more people on it if you are interested :)

(Lore modder, Vengeance of the Blood Ravens)
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

WhoopieMonster

Postby WhoopieMonster » 27 March 2016, 19:21

Imperator5, for the time being I just want to learn what makes the game tick. There is a few things I want to try out, firstly I want to see if I can up the resources per mission. I'm going to try and double them, so at level 1 you currently get 300 per mission with which to build your fleet, I would like to double that to 600 and see what the larger engagement plays out like.

I've unpacked the .pak file and can browse all the models but opening none model files is proving more difficult. I'm downloading the unreal editor and hopefully that will allow me to view and modify the files.

Return to “General Gameplay Discussion”