What Race got you into W40k

Anything not related to Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
McNash

Re: What Race got you into W40k

Postby McNash » 06 June 2016, 22:00

The Imperial Guard, thanks to Dawn of War.

malcontent333

Postby malcontent333 » 06 June 2016, 22:47

For me, it was Chaos back in '97 or '98. Was won over by da Orkz shortly after.
Orkz is never beatin in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we legz it we don't die neither, so we can come back for annuver go, see!

Inspector of War

Postby Inspector of War » 06 June 2016, 22:50

For BFG, I started out by buying a crap ton of Tyranids, without really knowing how to play.

For 40K proper, I got some Tyranids before stopping both in middle school. Then in college, I "re-discovered" 40K, and began building up a force of Necrons.
Emperor DAMNIT, but do I hate autocorrect. :evil: :evil:

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 07 June 2016, 14:37

2nd Edition Chaos. I've been a heretic since the beginning. There was something about an army list that could be built for any type of combat that appealed to me a lot. Chaos has all the flavors. Taste the Painbow.
Do you hear the voices too?!?

Rolepgeek

Postby Rolepgeek » 08 June 2016, 18:16

Chaos, funnily enough.

Had been roleplaying for a while on a site where someone had decided to play as their version of the God-Emperor of Order. I liked playing opposing sides/unorthodox viewpoints, and in trying to think of what the best counterpart would be, I went with the Daemon-King of Chaos. Didn't even know about 40k, at the time. Only later realized what he had been pulling it from.

So once I did find out about 40k, not really knowing anything, but having participated long enough that I was rather a fan of the archetype of Chaos as in liberty and change, I thought it would be cool to play as Chaos. Since my name IRL is rather similar to Daemon, I thought it would be funny too. Learning the way 40k portrayed it made me...annoyed, however. I've come to accept and kinda like it, though it's still not Chaos in the Chaos vs. Order sense to my way of thinking, at the time I was disgusted at what seemed like a very flat and bland portrayal of the faction.

Looking at the other factions, I kinda liked Eldar, Tau, and Necrons. It felt like too many people played Space Marines already, Imperial Guard were okay but would be even more expensive to try and field (spent $300+ and could still barely field an assembled and painted 750 point army; was not smart about where I bought stuff, or what I bought), don't like grimdark enough to consider Dark Eldar...ended up going with Tau, since their aesthetics, battle doctrine, and simply the fact that I got to have more than one race in my army for a variety of styles appeals to me.

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 08 June 2016, 21:26

@Rolepgeek

After Chaos, tau and necrons are my next choices too. The tau for similar reasons to you. I liked the Necron lore, and despite generally disliking lore revisions, I like what they have done with the necron lore for the most part.
Do you hear the voices too?!?

ApostleOfExcess

Postby ApostleOfExcess » 10 June 2016, 07:12

I got in as Imperial Guard; but seeing the endless futility of their fight led credence to the far more truthful side, Chaos.

Necroledo

Postby Necroledo » 10 June 2016, 15:33

Necrons, in dark Crusade :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Although Tau share a lot of that initial interest though.

Ahzek Ahriman

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 10 June 2016, 19:46

Bloody Magpies. Dawn of War vanilla campaign. And holy sh.t was it climatic as hell when I still didn't understand one thing about 40k.

I switched to chaos and Tzeentch once I learned more about 40k lore, because I've always been into magic and psykery and stuff.
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

RedDevilCG

Postby RedDevilCG » 10 June 2016, 20:37

Tyranids. Back when they were derpy in 2nd/3rd edition.

Return to “Off-Topic”