What does "Pre-Alpha" means to you?

Anything not related to Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Spector

What does "Pre-Alpha" means to you?

Postby Spector » 24 June 2016, 23:43

Hi, I am a gamer for over 20 years now, and I also make gaming videos on my YT channel. I use a nickname perafilozof as filozof is the nickname I go in elementary school for acting like a philosopher in conversations. So I ran with it.

But enough about me, what I want to ask you is: What does "Pre-Alpha" means to you? And by Pre-Alpha I mean the version of upcoming games that are shown to gamers. You have seen this many times by now, it's been a rising trend since 2003. Videos of new games have Pre-Alpha watermarks on them on trailers, on E3 presentations and so on. Games that are previewed have Pre-Alpha on screenshots that you see on gaming websites.What interests me is what do you think when you watch a video with Pre-Alpha watermark or read a preview with Pre-Alpha watermark on screenshots or watch a E3 presentation with Pre-Alpha. What are you expectations, what are your thoughts, what does seeing Pre-Alpha means to you.

I have made a video about this subject so you can watch that before you post here:

Try to keep it short, 3-5 sentences, with maybe an example. You can write more to express your full opinion but I won't be able to carry everything over to a video.

Thank you!
My YouTube channel with BFG:A videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

Puchert
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: What does "Pre-Alpha" means to you?

Postby Puchert » 25 June 2016, 02:54

why should we? this video of you explained it quite well?? what else you want to hear from us?

i dont get it??? :ugeek:

but at a personal level:

pre-alpha means to me - not worth my attention

its like saying:

"Dude, i will become a daddy!"
"What? wow - when?"
"Well....Sarah has to finish her doctor first, so that will take 2 years at least, after that we need a bigger apartement and of corse have to wait for a better job before starting on the ACTUAL baby project....but then-THEN!!!!"

The hype isnt worth it. pre-alpha is the visualizing of an idea & has (in most cases) nothing to do with the final product

so - not worth my time
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!
We are the Death Korps of Krieg & we will hold the line!!"

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 25 June 2016, 03:45

I can't load the video so I'll tell you what i think.

Pre Alpha means that the game is being actively made in its core aspects: The gameplay, the engine, the features are half done and in flux.

Alpha means that it got into a first stable build that is still buggy but it is a playable game that may not have all parts function, but you can play it.

Beta means that the game is mostly finished but needs a good fine tuning and finish.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

McNash

Postby McNash » 28 June 2016, 23:20

For me pre-alpha is a word used for developers to justify any possible awful decision they have made designwise, excusing themselves with the insinuation it may or may not be fixed.

If you are waiting to see those awful DOW3 graphics changed then you better come in another decade, and if you like them, oh well, what can I do?

Levandor

Postby Levandor » 29 June 2016, 12:53

Pre Alpha:

Basic Variant wich runs more like a interactive video then a "game" as most gameplay relevant mechanics are not included yet.

Return to “Off-Topic”