Show off your minis!

Anything not related to Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
horizon

Re: Show off your minis!

Postby horizon » 20 July 2016, 04:03

Owl wrote:Wow, you put a lot of thought into those models, and a beautiful paint job on them to boot. I think my favorite is either the aurora or the shadow; they both have a lot of amazing detail!

Thanks!

CALiGeR190 wrote:... that Eclipse makes me moist ...

Thanks!
lol.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 20 July 2016, 13:11

Finally finished the Tyrant! I really like how it came out, and I can't wait to start on my next model.

[Shameless, unintentional Journey plug]

horizon

Postby horizon » 21 July 2016, 03:31

That picture doesn't do it justice and before you start the next model you will need to finish the base. ;)

Puchert
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Puchert » 21 July 2016, 06:43

exactly what i want to answer. nice work, but you missing the base
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!
We are the Death Korps of Krieg & we will hold the line!!"

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 21 July 2016, 09:44

for a first mini that's INCREDIABLE Owl.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 21 July 2016, 12:36

Thanks a bunch guys. I would not have been able to pull it of without your help, or the rest of my local gaming community!

And oh right... the base. (i.e.The big paint splatter my model is currently "walking" on.) I'm going to need to pick up some technical paint, probably grass, since I think that would compliment the color scheme well. Maybe even pick up some little model rocks at Hobby Lobby. I will see how this goes!

Puchert

Postby Puchert » 21 July 2016, 23:13

technical paint bah.... here is what you do, put some superglue on it & sand it. (games workshop sand is fine but any other sand will do it too, including "birdsand" or normal sand from the beach.

let it dry, than: Ink it

GW calls them shades now, work as well. after the ink (or shade or whatever you wanna call it) has dryed, drybrush it with normal color

for example:
rock type - ink the sand with nuln oil (dark appereance) and drybrush it with grey tones. i used this method on my death korps - just look at the pictures and you see what i mean

for a sandy / earth look - ink the sand with agrax eartshade & drybrush it it with bleached bone, than it looks more like earth.

example on one of my salamanders here:

When you experiment with different shades & drybrushes - you can find easy a earth that suits your imagination for a alien planet :-)
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 22 July 2016, 00:22

Huh, that's actually pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip Puchert!

So I've been sitting on this idea since this morning: I give the base a basic grassy look, maybe even use some hobby store grass terrain, then use some technical paint or painted sand to leave a heavy foot (hoof?) print somewhere behind the Tyrant. I think it would give the model a lot of implied motion, but I am worried about even being able to pull it off. I think I'll jut have to wait till I get the materials and see what I like best.

Puchert

Postby Puchert » 22 July 2016, 01:16

if your plan is to use these grassmates, cut the footprint out bevore painting into the hole you cut, or the technic color will fall off after a while.

when you want to glue standart grass"flock" onto - forget it, you cant paint on that, specially not with technical color because its set up to dry out to give the effekt. but dry cracking paint doesnt hold onto grass.

tip 2: after your done with the base, and your mini is done - take a stroll to the nearest supermarket and buy the cheapest haarspray you can get (no name marks, the cheap stuff is more than enough) - but read before buy. hairspray or hairlack, but without shiny effekt. the cheap ones basically dont have them.
go home and spray your whole mini. it protects & seals everything from the paint to the sand and / or grass. so your miniature is conserved in a thin layer of hairspray.
human hands sweat, this sweat can (after a while) "grip off" the paint of your mini.

hope this helps :-)

Puchert

Postby Puchert » 22 July 2016, 01:26

PS: if you really want to use citadel technical color, here is a great video from doctor faust. this guy know his work, i think it well help you in the process - enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijED-Sh ... 34A8877D81

Return to “Off-Topic”