Show off your minis!

Anything not related to Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Owl
Community Moderator

Re: Show off your minis!

Postby Owl » 22 July 2016, 04:16

Thanks for all the tips Puchert, it really is a huge help. But I have realized that I have an issue: I used model cement, not super glue, to put my model together and attach it to the base. I thought something was off when I used it, almost like plastic was melting; I talked with the owner of my local game store, and it turns out that modeling cement causes molecular bonding between the plastics. You probably already guessed, but this makes it impossible to take my Tyrant off its base. So the base painting process is going to be a delicate procedure, and I am going to need surgical precision to do it right.

Wish me luck!

P.S. Doctor Faust is amazing! Those are some of the best bases I have ever seen.

Puchert
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Puchert » 22 July 2016, 06:45

then let it on, and work carefull around the feets of the miniature, is something happens, paint the hoofs later again. its not the end of the world. some even do that with purpose, by basing later to a already glued model, id adds some "weight" to the miniature, because it loos (depending on how accurate you work of corse) that the model is "sunken in" a tiny bit into the ground. if you catch my drift?

a tip for the future: if you want the model fixed in position, but want the feet off the base - use tiny cuts pieces of the "frame" the miniature parts are coming in, to glue unto the underside of the feets - that will provide some millimeters of "free space" between the fgure and the base - but its still glued on it. you can work cleaner & the effect in the end is the same as glue it onto afterwards-

small balls of rolled greenstuff works even better, because its squeeshi, so you can adjust the hight better by pressing the mini into it.

BUT - if you want really to remove the mini you can use:
1 A saw - just the blade f it & best with small teeths "you dont need a metal saw", you can just saw the feet of the mini on groundlevel, but you will loose 1-2 millimeter or:

2: Nailpolish-remover. That should do the job, but be carefull. this stuff didnt just remove glue, but also paint
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!
We are the Death Korps of Krieg & we will hold the line!!"

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 22 July 2016, 11:27

I usually paint the base and the miniature unassembled, than glue them together. THat way I can reach into crevices usually hard to reach if you assemble before paint.

The downside is, you have to use a really good gel-instant glue, or it may mar the paintjob and you got to be really careful.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Puchert

Postby Puchert » 22 July 2016, 11:35

post some pics :-) the channel is for that
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 22 July 2016, 12:50

Puchert wrote:post some pics :-) the channel is for that

Okey. I'm mediocre at painting but horrible at photoing.

Here is the titan I got already half assembled for 100 pounds. I'm not sure if its forgeworld or not, though my FW stuff was pretty bad quality too. I painted it in Legio Invicta colours and called it Ferox Ignis, "fierce flame" due to its plasma blastgun.

Space marines: Here are some of my better ones. I have to use Mephiston Red with vallejo airbrush red to get the perfect BR colour.

Da ork boyz:

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 22 July 2016, 14:05

Imperator, you said you are mediocre at painting but I think your models look great. My favorite is probably the Warhound (because who doesn't love big models), but you did a wonderful job keeping all the detail on the assault Marines!

P.S. Nifty rust color on the Ork equipment. How did you pull that off?

Puchert

Postby Puchert » 22 July 2016, 14:07

why has the godmachine such a static pose?
Owl: i like to agree with you, but im not able to see some details on these photos sorry :-p

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 22 July 2016, 14:23

Thank you!

For the rusty ork metal, I use boltgun metal with a black shade/wash first, than Ryza Rust dry paint.
With brass I usually use Nihilakh oxide. I also used it for the Trump haired squiq's saliva.
I sometimes touch it up with some Typhus corrosion.

Yeah those are the Vanguards. Metal models are so hard to work with. I used a lot of free melee weapons to swap out bolter pistols to make them even cooler looking brawlers. They are from the older Metal veterans and the old metal Vanguards. I also got 5 metal Sternguards and I think I'll get the plastic ones to put them to full squad.

The Warhound I got second hand, the legs were already assembled and the arms too. This also explains why the skull is glued to totally cover the Blastgun's sensor. The 6 bolter point defense was my idea though, based on some HH novels mentioning chin mounted heavy bolters on Warhounds.

I also got a Predator and 5 normal ASM but those were second hand ones, and I had to repaint them so they suffer from thin your paints meme a bit. I usually touch up all rivets with gold for my Blood ravens, and I have taken to make them look shining clean, with only the smallest amount of my irreplacable Baal Red wash (GW no longer makes red washes, #### it ) .

I have some older models, but I'll upload pics later. Once my grots are done, I want to make a "Da boyz hut" building for my orks and put it up with my Sm army on my hobby desk as a little table.

With GW technicals, even less skilled painters can have some neat results.

Rust effects, dirt effects, lens effects, blood and pus, all is there. Just a pity that the gem paints do not have a yellow variant for headlights and such.

I also would caution against using non-GW paints. I tried to go cheapskate with vallejo ones and they are horrible. I only use them for terrain. They are either too thin or too thick, you can't paint off the pot and you have to pour out a load of paint from the silly drip bottles, so if you try to paint details with them, you'll loose half the paints.

If you got 5+ year old Gw paints and they dried, adding some water and stirring it with a toothpick can revive 90% of them. Usually check on them once a year at least.

Edit: I forgot a few. Here are the Sternguards with a Dread
My orks are Blood Axes, here is team Sneaky Gitz:
And my newest squad, the Flashgitz.
Kaptin Blackbeer, alcoholic plasma gunner and his two firzt matez, Arrgh with his Rokkits and Yarr with is Eavy Bolta. For suppressive Dakka, there is Rambork with his gatling cannon and Buzzcut with a Borderlands style haircut. He is a real metalhead.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 23 July 2016, 00:28

Its finally done!

So I couldn't find the materials for the grass base, so I went with Pucherts idea. Much harder with the model on the base and only quick setting super glue to work with! I used Citadel "Sand" and "Middenland Tufts", with a liberal sprinkling of a 1:1 mix of Rhinox Hide and Screaming Skull to add definition, as well as paint the sides of the base. All in all, I am very happy with my Tyrant!

GreySeer

Postby GreySeer » 24 July 2016, 10:38

LC1.jpg
LC1.jpg (134.7 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

...Let those who worship chaos might, beware my power warding lantern's light!

My last work, bases are not ready yet, and I don't like the color, I will have to change it and add some grass. The most beautiful and the best made miniature I have worked with but I'm not 100% happy with the result. Gold is overwhelming on this miniature and it is not an easy color to the painting. I should go with hallowed knights color scheme http://www.tabletopencounters.com/wp-co ... scheme.jpg as I was initially tempted but I thought that the gold will be more "shiny" and "magnificent".

As it comes to bases. I have a great method. You're painting the mini out of the base and when you finish you cover the elements which will touch the bases or will be very close to it with humbrol maskol but not completely, leaving some room for the glue on the sole or such and wait until maskol drays. You glue the miniature to base but use very little super glue so you can break it off easily. You cover you base with white glue and with what do you want on it but try to not cover the model, even the elements covered with mask. After white glue dries you breaking off miniature from the base and you should have a perfect fit, carefully remove maskol from the miniature and cover base with the mix of white glue and water 1-1. After drying paint it and you can glue miniature again.
Praise the Machine God
Bless His construct-creations
And death to those who are not part of His grand design

Return to “Off-Topic”