Community Story Project: Discussion and Review Page

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Owl
Community Moderator

Community Story Project: Discussion and Review Page

Postby Owl » 03 March 2016, 13:41

I was listening to an old Rock and Roll mixtape when I had an idea; it might be stupid, it might not even work, but I think it is worth a try. The community is currently split between those who have playing experience, and those who have had to live off the few scraps of information the devs have been able and or willing to release. So in an effort to bring us all together, I was thinking we could use the wealth of information we have of the Warhammer 40k universe as a whole to write a story! It would be based in the Gothic War, but beyond that the contents of the story would be determined by the community (that means everyone: testers, new guys, hell raisers and fanboys). I can not say I would be able to update the story every hour, since my school and the fact that I live in Texas put me at odds with a lot of peoples schedules, but I will try and update it every day. What happens now is up to you guys, so please post some ideas and I will get started. :D

Current page numbers for the story posts are pages 2, 3, 4 and 5.

As of 3 March 2016, this is a discussion page for the story Community Story project. The previous story posts will be reposted on the new "Community Story Project: Story Page."
Last edited by Owl on 10 March 2016, 18:30, edited 7 times in total.

Larkis

Re: Community Story Project

Postby Larkis » 03 March 2016, 14:00

I really like this idea :)

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 03 March 2016, 16:33

Owl wrote:I was listening to an old Rock and Roll mixtape when I had an idea; it might be stupid, it might not even work, but I think it is worth a try. The community is currently split between those who have playing experience, and those who have had to live off the few scraps of information the devs have been able and or willing to release. So in an effort to bring us all together, I was thinking we could use the wealth of information we have of the Warhammer 40k universe as a whole to write a story! It would be based in the Gothic War, but beyond that the contents of the story would be determined by the community (that means everyone: testers, new guys, hell raisers and fanboys). I can not say I would be able to update the story every hour, since my school and the fact that I live in Texas put me at odds with a lot of peoples schedules, but I will try and update it every day. What happens now is up to you guys, so please post some ideas and I will get started. :D

The thing I've been considering is battle reports, maybe pitch comparisons of the star wars EU and The Culture vs 40K, and do some in depth ship vs ship fights in a similar style to my profiles.

The story idea is cool, and I'm at a B grade in a combined English A-Level, so I could help set it out as well: but can't see how this could be co-ordinated, it feels like a long-shot.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

AShepard

Postby AShepard » 03 March 2016, 16:39

I like the idea of the group selecting an encounter we play and turning it into a short story..

Thats some White Dwarf **** right there..

MagickalHack
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby MagickalHack » 03 March 2016, 16:43

I like this. I like this a lot.
My Assault Boats bring all the boys to the yard...

Chaos Carrier Fleet guide

EET: We treat bugs like Pokemon.

Loki Von Basilisk

Postby Loki Von Basilisk » 03 March 2016, 16:57

this instantly made me think of 2 things.
1 something i used to do on a in-game clan msg board where we would all add a sentence at a time whenever we checked the board and it would be a runing story ment to be read from first post to last
2 doing no,1 then pm'ing the most active ppl and maybe doing a more serious attempt at a cohesive and structured story

if the latter were to happen i think framing it as an inquisatorial after action report excerpt for the early gothic conflict could be a useful device to explain the different writing styles from section to section as it would be like the styles of differnt captins submitting reports, it would also help pre devide the work as each participant would do say 2 major/close engagement reports with plenty of detail and 3or4 rather more curt reports then whoever has volunteered to bring it together can add bits around in say a simler way as in the ciaphas cain novels, mainly including connective tissue or footnote remarks with a bit of wit to them.

but thats just what instatly came to mind :D

Flyingrhinoman

Postby Flyingrhinoman » 03 March 2016, 18:06

The old rule book gave sector maps for the gothic war. Gives a really neat way to tie different and disparate battles together. If people signed up or there was list of those participating in this story, when those meet in game could create battlelogs for the different battles. The other option is to as a group select a system once a week or so and the record the out comes of the battles fought between participants (self report). Then collectively tell a story based upon how the battles averaged.
For those who challenge the might of the Imperium I laugh at you as you desperately try to damage the armored prow while I watch you scrabble to doge my glorious swarm of torpedoes. Eldar please run away

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 03 March 2016, 18:41

For now, as a small test, I was thinking you guys could post ideas for a story, and I combine them in a single post. Something I'm thinking about is having the community represented as members of the crew of an Imperial ship, and then tell their story through the context of battle reports and day to day events of the crew.

Flyingrhinoman

Postby Flyingrhinoman » 03 March 2016, 18:51

With the lore in mind, I would focus on the second rate officers that oversee functions of singular ship mechanisms. Since each weapon is manned by hundreds of men so focusing on the one actually making the decisions for the weapon makes the story more interesting. Also few are actually allowed to move about the ships freely as ratings and penal are not allowed to move from their station. Second rate officers are allowed to wander and so they can interact freely with other crew members allowing ships to be explored with out making it very disjointed. Otherwise focus on the bridge as that is the most unifying then from there follow the orders given downward in the given tree to personalize the order and still have a unifying tie for the ship
For those who challenge the might of the Imperium I laugh at you as you desperately try to damage the armored prow while I watch you scrabble to doge my glorious swarm of torpedoes. Eldar please run away

Sputnik

Postby Sputnik » 03 March 2016, 18:57

It would be cool if you going to start off with some very basic story and than start with a mutible choice system.
Let the community decide via serveral forum polls how the story should continue. And everybody is free to add new possible choices for the current poll.
Will take an aeon to finish, though. x)

Return to “Stories and Lore”