Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Kadaeux

Re: Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Postby Kadaeux » 14 May 2016, 01:23

Lt.Hargrove wrote:So, while making this psychological post was fun, it does not advance the plot at all. Can somebody take Jeb in his post with him?

Consider it done ;)

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 14 May 2016, 01:35

Karnak had returned with his colleague carrying several void suits, more canisters for his torch and a Shotcannon from the armoury, the most important haul had been a large selection of manual tools. And now they were being told to run from goddamned warp-zombies. "Countermand that order Lieutenant Barnes, there is no single generatorium chamber, we need to flush the starboard generatorium chambers, they port-side generatorium has been effectively destroyed, two of the generatorium are destroyed and one damaged. According to the machine spirit, the starboard generatorium are intact, but damaged. But the chamber is flushed with plasma, we need to vent it before we can enter it!"

He said as he moved with the rest, a young fellow named Jebediah joining him, he turned and opened up with a burst from his torch, the flame being hurled identically to that of a well aimed flamer creating a momentary wall as his gunskull turned and fired a pair of bolts at the closest Zombies.

"Twenty decks down. Starboard side, corridor 12, atmospheric management control centre sixteen. We need to get in there and initiate the purge." He explained as he ran. "Then we need everybody in void-suits. Safe or not, it will be hot in there." Karnak hoofed it a bit more as Jeb turned and fired with his new laspistol, a handful of shots intended more for peace of mind, he wasn't alone.

Karnak blurted out a prayer to the Omnissiah in binary.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 14 May 2016, 15:11

Vladimir, UNK13, Adama, and Seargant Dramer ran as quickly as they dared through the cavernous walk-way, each of them cognizant that the cat-walk could give way at any moment due to the damage it had suffered in the crash. From time to time the leading Techpriest stopped, and used the auto-sigils painted on the walls to see if the group was on the right track. The Once-Crewman were, thankfully, few in number, and only once did Sergeant Drammer have to intervene with his Shock-Cannon to clear out the possessed meat puppets. But something was amiss, something that could only be felt on the animal level in UNK13's few organic components.

The Techpriest held up his hand, signalling a halt. "Somethings wrong," UNK13 said, his sensory augurs whirring loudly as they tried to penetrate the pervading darkness. Adama walked up beside him, his footfalls ringing loudly on the catwalk.

"Yeah, like the whole place went dead silent," he said, wincing as he realized his poor choice of words. "I mean it's never so quiet on a ship. At the very least we'd be hearing the hull shift and creak, but I can't even hear that." He gestures to Vladimir and Drammer. "You two notice anything?" They nodded there heads simultaneously, but Drammer spoke first.

"I thought I was imagining it or, Emperor forbid, going loony, but..." he pauses, looking to Vladmir for support, "I swear I can hear someone moaning. Moaning like their in the depths of the hell, sir." For the first time since they had begun their sprint down the catwalks, the group fell silent, and without any other noise to compete with they could all hear the distant moaning and the sporadic sobbing.

UNK13 turned back to the way they were going, "Sound pattern isolated. Position: ahead and above us. It's closing in," said the Techpriest, his voice wavering noticeably. He drew his volkite serpenta, and behind him the others readied there weapons. The Sergeant and ex-Commisar took the front guard, kneeling so Adama and the Enginseer could fire from behind them. In seconds, they could hear what sounded like a bull rushing along the catwalk above them, and the moaning turned into a bestial roar. "Its within range," UNK13 said, bringing his head-lamps to their full brightness.

The space around them was bathed in a bright blue light, and the horror- for that was the one word capable of describing it- shrunk back in shock. It was on the catwalk 5 meters above them and to their left, and it looked like a surgeon had made a dog as tall as a man from human parts: Its "paws" were an amalgamation of human hands, and they connected to a long torso made of spines and legs via spindly human arms. It was covered in rotting skin that revealed pink, sinewy muscle beneath it, and from the horror's dog like muzzle emanated the constant roaring of hundred human souls. Its seven slitted, violet eyes, scattered haphazardly around its face, narrowed on the group of survivors below it.

"In the name of the Holy Emperor," Vladmir yelled, "kill the daemon!" He let loose with his auto-gun, and the others followed suit: the beast was subjected to a hail of bullets and las-bolts that tore chunks of corrupted flesh from it, and as it coiled its massive hind legs so as to to leap the distance that separated them, Sergeant Drammer's Shock-Cannon caught in the throat, the charged round sending its body into useless spasms as the horror thrashed on the catwalk. A burst from UNK13's Volkite Serpenta blew out its chest in a blast of fiery gore, but still the creature roared and scrambled. It was Adama who finally killed the damned creature, his las-bolt de-braining it.

The horror immediately collapsed, its heavy form sliding over the cat-walk railing with a wet slurping sound, its bloody body disappearing into the blackness to hit the distant ground with a wet slap. Vladmir spat in the general direction of where the beast fell. "Ugly fucking thing."

Drammer gave him a look. "No shit," he said, turning back to the group. "We got lucky there. If that thing had snuck up on us..." He let the implication hang in the air.

UNK13 shook his head violently, as if to get the image of the horror out of his head. "I hope there aren't anymore on the ship." He began walking, "Let's keep moving; we're close to the generators."

Lt.Hargrove

Postby Lt.Hargrove » 14 May 2016, 15:26

You listed Vladimir twice and left out Akon in the first sentence. Also, Vladimir is an ex-commissar. Shedler stayed with Barnes.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 14 May 2016, 20:06

Lt.Hargrove wrote:You listed Vladimir twice and left out Akon in the first sentence. Also, Vladimir is an ex-commissar. Shedler stayed with Barnes.

Whoops, so I did! Sorry, I'll fix them right away!

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 16 May 2016, 08:32

"Starboard Side, Corridor 12. Starboard Side, Corridor 12" Barnes repeated over and over under his breath. He would have been the first to admit he had only a general working idea of how the generator actually functioned and he was glad above all else that the Enginseer Karnak was still alive and with them. Without his expertise he knew they wouldn't have a chance. Now he had told them exactly where they needed to go on the engine decks to get the generator running, he repeated it over and over so he didn't forget it. You never knew who was next to be be killed in a hellish situation like this, and after all it could be Karnak. If that happened he would at least remember where he was supposed to go, and try and sort the rest out when he got there.

The crew had split up only a few minutes earlier into 2 large groups. He was jogging down the corridor now with Commissar Shedler following close behind, pistol in hand. They were followed by Kermin and Barnadock, the two lowly crewmen who had thus far proved their mettle in the running battle with the undead. Brandock had knocked the brains out of at least 2 of the monsters and Kermin was proving to be an able shot with the laspistol, having once surely saving Barne's life with a headshot to a running creature that had blindsided him. He briefly considered he may have been too harsh in his initial assessment of the two men, one as a criminal scum and the other as an inexperienced whelp. Situations like this brought out the best and worst in people, and it appeared for now that he had been lucky indeed in his present company.

The group was brought up the rear by the two Enginseers Keir and Karnak, who were a little slower than the group being weighed down with mechanical equipment, and in the case of Karnak, a lot of metal bodywork. The other 4 of the group was last seen running somewhere parallel to their own position on the right side of the ship. He hoped dearly both groups got to the generator before they were eaten alive.

Another one of the once-crewmen brought his attention to the present once more. It was sitting in a crouched position on the corridor in front of them, only one leg and half an arm on it as it tried to get itself up and come after them. A volley from Barnes and Shedler's las pistols knocked it back to the floor again in a superheated spray of vapourised blood. They ran over the body and kept moving, more of the dead things coming out of almost every doorway ahead...

Okay guys, the story is coming on nicely. We're getting towards the end of the chapter now. I'll give you all about 48 hours before I start the next one, so if you want to post more about dealing with the warp horrors in the tunnels of the Corsica, post up now! We have 4 players who have not posted so far on this chapter: Shedler, Brandock, Vlad and Keir: Please tell me if someone has collaborated with one of these characters who has actually written some text for your post and they can be removed from the 'list'. Post up chaps! Don't want to kill off too many of you at this early junction....

Ahrtimmer

Postby Ahrtimmer » 16 May 2016, 21:02

Gotta say, this is a great read. Shame I arrived too late to pitch a character and contribute. Still, keep up the good work, and if you want to bump into a claymore weilding feral worlder, shoot me an im.

emperors mercy on you all
-Ahrtimmer

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 16 May 2016, 22:29

Ahrtimmer wrote:Gotta say, this is a great read. Shame I arrived too late to pitch a character and contribute. Still, keep up the good work, and if you want to bump into a claymore weilding feral worlder, shoot me an im.

emperors mercy on you all
-Ahrtimmer

Thanks Ahrtimmer for that from all of us, I'm glad you're enjoying the read. PM me your character and I know a good time I could introduce them in a few chapters.

Samoth87
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Samoth87 » 17 May 2016, 17:33

What is dead should stay dead right..? I mean that's how it goes right..?
I pop your eye clean from 15 yards away and normally you fall to the ground with that saggy of a retard expression on your face saying "aaa shite..i got fragged" and you stay there...on the ground...cold...lifeless...dead...
THEN WHY IN THE EMPEROR'S FRAGGING THRONE DO THEY STILL COME BACK..???
I hear those Mechanicus fellas behind me muttering...
-"The Geller Field went down during our brief stay into the Immaterium..." Enginseer Keir begun to explain.
-"...and man's hell followed us back to the material world." replied that tall thing that goes by the name Karnak.
-"Calculating percentage of success..." and then their brief conversation died out in binary talk...
At the time lads i didn't fancy our chances either so i couldn't blame them for not wanting to be overheard when they were calculating with their cold logic how feasible is to fix the engines and stay alive to tell the tale...you ask me...i say we're fragged.
You would believe that with all those mechanical apparatus..es,apparatii...whatever...those mechanical things all over their bodies,they would be a dead weight on our shoulders but i tell you lads that these boys had some cards on their sleeves to play and their weaponry was compensating enough for their somewhat encumbered pace.In more than one occasion they casually disposed them runners before returning back to their mutterings.
Yeap...runners...Somebody already gave them a suited name to saturate our fears...and lads...they were definitely running like hell at us from all sides...well...the ones that still had their legs i mean...
Anyways i can't recall when,maybe it was in that T-section, we were cut off from the rest and what remained of us were the two Enginseers,that chap who helped me retrieve some medical supplies Jeb who by the way was doing an exceptional job of handling himself and Comissar Shedler with Lt.Barnes leadind the way.
The objective for the time being was to reach Starboard Corridor 12 and everyone was doing his part to get there.With me pipe on one hand and a standard issue las pistol on the other i was doing the best i could to keep us from being chewed to bits by the unliving.You see lads if any of these fraggers gets his hands on us i am convinced that we will share the same horrible fate and become one of them so as you can imagine i wasn't enthusiastic at all to let their numbers grow.I made a mental note to myself if it comes to that, Emperor protect me, i would do anything to prevent such a fate.
By the time i didn't have the luxury to worry about "Red" becoming one of them as we were hacking our way through towards our objective so i just silently hoped her well and i focused to the task at hand.
Lads the monstrosities we faced were of an utmost otherwordly and blasphemous nature and they could make you lose your sag with a blink of the eye.Even Lt.Barnes seemed at one point almost losing his nerve...so i admit for the first time i was more than glad that Comissar Shedler was with us.His iron will was what kept us from falling apart.
At this one point it was that poor bugger who had plucked his own eyes out and with some kind of blade he had carved into his bare chest and his forehead those fragging painfull to the eye blasphemous symbols...at first he was moaning but when he took notice of us he begun cursing in some forbidden language and threw himself towards us with a rabidness in his movement that almost made us puke...i swear to you lads though he didn't have any eyes he knew exactly where each of us was like a blasted infernal predator...
If it wasn't for the Comissar's commanding tone ordering us to open fire at will that thing would have breached our ranks...
It fell under a volley of las fire almost a breath away from Lt.Barnes's face...
-"We are close.Proceed with caution.Move move move...'" Lt.Barnes barked at us casually as if nothing happened...
Damn those IN Officers...they are some hard shells to crack...
Once more into the fray...

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 18 May 2016, 09:47

Chapter 4 - Acceptable Losses

Barnes, Karnak, Keir, Kermin and Brandock arrived at the Starboard generator on deck 12, each one of them panting from the deadly gauntlet they had just run. Commissar Shedler was dead, left somewhere back there behind them. They had been rounding yet another corner and stumbled into a large group of the ex-crew, some of them now showing signs of warp-influence with mucus covered tentacles erupting from their bodies and other misshapen limbs. They had opened fire but Shedler had been dragged down first, and it was only the strong arms of Brandock and Karnak dragging him away which saved Barnes from being dragged down too. The last time he had seen the Commissar, he was being devoured by the entire group of creatures, each one intent on the meal and not on the five who had escaped. Shedler had pulled a grenade out from his jacket and wordlessly pulled the pin, his face set in a grim mask for the next few seconds till the explosion annihilated him and the creatures devouring him. He had bought them some time, and Barnes made a note to pray for his soul the the Emperor when next he had a chance. Possibly the most capable fighter among the entire group of survivors was now dead, and Barnes refused to entertain the thought about what that meant for the rest of them.

They entered the outer observation room of the starboard generator room, checking once over their shoulders to make sure none of the dead were still after them. For the moment it was clear and the five men slipped inside, Brandock and Kermin holding up the rear with pistols in hand and locking the door behind them.

The two Enginseers got to work, checking the different dials and readouts coming from the various workstations. Barnes had only ever been to this part of the ship a few times before, and took a moment to absorb his surroundings. They were in a fairly large room with thick re-enforced plasti-glass windows stretching along two of the walls, looking down into the vast generator room below them. One of the walls was lined with row after row of voidsuits, capable of work in the vacuum of space on the hull due to the magnetised boots, and also for work in the harsh environment of the engineering decks in case of hull breaches and other such hazards. A small hatch in the floor opened up to a set of ladders and an airlock leading to the outside belly of the ship. This was an access port for Engineering crewmen to perform maintenance work on the outside of the ship.

Barnes took a look through the observation platform to the generator room below. The floor was covered in a dense orange fog, swirling around the entire chamber and obscuring the floor itself.

"Plasma" Karnak intoned, coming to join him at the window. "I and Keir are agreed. The Generators are still functioning, but there is much to be done before we can get them running and signal for help". Karnak walked to a display panel and Barnes followed. keir was busily working the different dials and instruments in the room as they talked.

"First" Said karnak "We will vent the plasma. This I will do from here in a minute. Following this I will need to go down to the Generator floor and activate the instruments manually, as they are currently in standby mode due to the damage the ship sustained". Barnes nodded, liking what he heard. So far it seemed routine and simple, and they could hopefully hold up in here till any help arrived, if it did.

"However" Keir stated, coming to join them. Barnes' hopeful expression dropped again. "We will need a team to get to the outside of the hull and activate one of the breakers a few hundred meters down. That young officer Nico spotted that the port weapon capacitor was still operational, and we will need that power to get the generators kick started. It will need a few men to do it as the handle is manual, and not easy to turn. Believe me."

"Sir!" Kermin shouted from the doorway, interrupting them. He had his las pistol pointed to the door and was looking fairly distressed. Barnes then heard it; a steady thumping noise coming from the other side of the door. There was no porthole to view the other side, and all five men drew weapons and approached the hatchway.

"Identify yourselves!" barnes shouted through the door, hoping the sound would carry through to the other side.

"Midshipman Adama, Sir!" Came the muted reply. Barnes grinned briefly and pulled the door open to the four men who had split from his group earlier. Adama came in followed by the Enginseer Mita and the two security officers. Each one of them were sporting more blood stains and were looking thoroughly frazzled, but he was glad they were all still alive. He closed the hatch behind them while Karnak and Barnes brought everyone up to speed on what was needed.

"Okay." Barnes Said. "I'll lead the team outside the hull. Vladimir, Keir, Brandock and Kermin, you are with me. Adama, you're in charge down here till i get back. Karnak and Mita will get the engines running here, and Akon I want you to make sure they're safe while they do their job." Barnes was happy to see the entire group nod their agreement, and was slightly proud he had finally memorized everyone's names.

"Suit up". The nine men selected their voidsuits from the racks, checking and occasionally swapping each one till they found one that fit. Mita and Karnak selected a few of the reserved suits designed specifically for Enginseers, which were far more bulky but allowed room for their augments and also ports for their mechandrite arms to protrude from the suit itself. Karnak was ready first, clearly used to working down here every day. He released a valve and an audible hissing went through the room. Barnes glanced down and saw the plasma pooling away from the generator room downstairs. In a few minutes of checking each other's gear, each of the crewmen were dressed for work in the void.

Barnes took his team down through the hatch and to the airlock. He tapped the button to drain the room of air and checked behind him one last time to make sure his group was ready. He received a thumbs up from each of the men in reply to his own.

"Sir, this is Adama". His intercom crackled in his ear, fuzzy but decipherable. "The plasma has cleared but the room is incredibly hot. I'm leading my team down to the Generator room deck now"

"Received. We're just heading outside now. Good luck". He pressed the airlock release and stepped outside of the ship, his feet locking down on to the hull. They had a long way to to get to the breaker.

It was only then he saw them. The outside of the hull was littered with the bodies of crew who had been jettisoned from the crash with the asteroid. There were hundreds of them, scattered for hundreds and hundreds of meters all along the belly of the ship. Each one of the corpses, as one, snapped their heads towards the group. They held their gaze for a few seconds, and then as if part of some gestalt consciousnesses, they started crawling, slowly along the hull towards the group, the mass of the ship keeping them close to the hull.

"We're under attack!" his intercom screamed into life, the voice of Adama unmistakable. After that there was just static, and Barnes could not know if any of the men he had left behind him were still alive, but he had his own troubles. They had a long way to get to the breaker....

We've had our first casualty. Shedler, RIP. Now the team who is with me, there are a lot of crewmen on the outside of the hull we have to try and work past and they will be coming for us as slowly as they can. Only lasers will work out in the void remember, and there are far too many of them for us to kill them all.

For the group in the generator room, you are not alone... Now the plasma has been drained, the dead crew will start coming through the floor, the vents, the corridors, the locked doors... from everywhere. You have to protect the enginseers long enough for them to do their job and get things running again.

Chapter rules:

Enginseers, by all means get the generators ready to go within this chapter but do not get them up and running. My team, I will write about what happens with the breakers at the end of the chapter so don't get them running yet and please don't reach them, but do get closer to them. We'll all be busy enough trying to make progress with an army of the dead trying to eat us!

- No more collaborative posts. It's confusing for me to keep track of who has typed what and slows things down a bit. We all know what the other characters are all about and how they act by now, so please write them into your own entries. Look at this post and try and include people in them like I have. Write your story from your own point of view, but progress the story by making other players do things. Remember, conversations and actions are fine to make other characters perform, but hurting or harming them is not.

We will also have a new player in the story next chapter, so keep the story going! Good luck....

Return to “Stories and Lore”