Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Jarrid

Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Postby Jarrid » 02 May 2016, 23:59

Hi Guys, first time poster and long time lurker! I thought it would be fun to get a bit of a roleplay story going, based in the 40k universe and with a Battlefleet kind of setting. I'll go over the rules and stuff below, but I've run a few of these things before and they tend to be pretty fun and reach the end in some suitably climactic way.

Firstly, this is all about telling an interesting story from multiple perspectives and having fun writing creatively, while interacting with the other 'players' through your own stories. It's not about being the best or most powerful character, or even surviving all the way to the end. Because, believe me, not all of you will!

I've listed a few rules below, then I'll show you guys how to apply your character to be part of the story. I'm going to set the limit at 10 players including myself, but if a few people drop out or get killed, PM me and I'll see about slotting you in.
I will first write a prologue and start the ball rolling, after which you can all feel free to post your characters. In about 7 days I will take up to 9 players and the story will begin. Do not start the story until I have chosen all the players and directed that you should begin.
Rules:

1 - Be nice. Treat other players and their characters with respect, but by all means include them in your story and even get them to do and say things that you think they might do or say. An example of what would be okay is having a back and forth conversation with another character while you both blast away at a bunch of orks. A bad example would be to have one of the orks blow off the other character's leg. That level of control on other people's characters is not allowed: that's for me to do! Feel free to do whatever you like to your own character however.

2 - Keep your story to at least 2 or 3 paragraphs and feel free to write as much as you want. Please be guided by how much other people write however, as one person writing pages and pages is unfair for everyone else who may not have the time to write as much. Please don't just write one or two lines; be creative and tell a story with each post.

3 - Do not introduce major plot points, or end major plot points. I will be writing the major plot twists and turns throughout the story, and it's up to your character to work with the other players and react to what I've just thrown in front of you. For example, don't introduce a giant Kraken to eat half the ship.... And if I create a giant Kraken that starts to eat half the ship, nobody insta-gib it with a Lascannon Volley. I will create these plot points throughout to guide the story to it's eventual conclusion, so play along!

4 - Keep your entries all about the story. If you need to add anything to your post once the story has started that is out of character, put it in italics like this.

5 - Do not create a Mary Sue or Gary Stue (perfect in every way, no flaws, super skilled etc). I want the story to be enjoyable for all parties, and it can quickly become drudgery if all we're hearing about is how amazing someone is. Also, do not create anyone above the rank of third Lieutenant. All characters will be human and crew of the Imperial Sword Class Frigate 'Corsica', with exceptions allowed at my discretion if your character is interesting enough and has a good reason for being on board a Navy Warship. The link below will give you ideas for your rank/role:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Navy_Hierarchy

6 - My word is final. No appeals, no Democracy. If people stop posting (which can happen), I will usually think up a suitably nasty end for their character.... and may kill off characters throughout depending on if you make any spectacularly bad decisions. Either way, your character may not live throughout the story to the end, and I may throw things at your character that you were not expecting that you will have to write around to survive. You've been warned!
The following is a template for your character. If you want to apply to join the story, use the template. I will show you my own character using the below setup to give you an idea:

Name, rank and role: Doran Barnes, Second Lieutenant, Bridge Crew.
Description: Pale skin, medium muscular build, very short brown hair and bushy beard/mustache, green eyes. Visible old scar from forehead hairline to top of head.
Personality and brief history: Doran was raised on the Forge world of Ryza and joined the Imperial Navy at the age of 18. Born into a relatively wealthy family of traders and Navy personnel, it was a natural step to take to the stars when he came of age. He quickly excelled in his first assignments operating the technical and navigational systems of frigates and light cruisers, and made his way up to midshipman by the age of 23, plateauing at 2nd Lieutenant at the age of 30 and staying there. He is viewed by others as a capable and charismatic officer, but has never been promoted further due to him being too valuable a technical bridge officer, which has always been a point of bitterness for him. He has seen a considerable amount of action during his service, and is unwilling to admit or accept that his nerves are not as strong as they used to be under pressure. He has started to yearn for a transfer to a less dangerous arm of the Imperial Navy, and some real recognition for his services wouldn't go a miss either...

Here follows the prologue, to set the scene and give you an idea of the story you're walking into. remember, post your characters and we'll start the story itself in about a week or so, so be ready! Here we go....
********************************************************************************

PROLOGUE......
++ Imperial Calendar 798 M41 ++
++ Signal Location:........checking..........checking.......... UNKNOWN ++
++ Identifying Signal........... identifying Signal............... Identifying Signal................ ++
++ Imperial Sword Class Heavy Frigate 'Corsica', attached to Squadron 'Lupus' ++
+ Crew: 24,453 souls + + Dimensions: 1.6km Length + + Armament: OFFLINE +

........... ++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++
"This is Captain Kaoka of the Imperial Frigate Corsica, does anyone read me? Repeat, does anyone read me? This is an open channel, requesting immediate assistance. We are under sustained fire. Throne, is anyone out there?".

Captain Franik Kaoka smashed the arm of his bridge chair with his balled fist, and not for the first time. Every single display pane in the command Bridge was flashing some kind of alert at him and the red alert siren continued it's wail, despite him trying to shut it down repeatedly. Kaoka braced himself into his chair one more time as another volley of shells clipped the rear of the frigate, shaking his bones and pitching his Command Staff around the wide cabin.

Every single weapon on the ship, with the exception of a single Las defence turret had decided to go offline at the same time when a missile had hit one of the critical systems a few minutes ago. The engines were losing power, external Comms appeared to be down, Navigational instruments were barely operating, but the worst of all was not being able to shut off the damned noise of the siren.

The other two Sword Frigates that had been attached to Squadron Lupus were now nothing more than dust and debris in the void, having been annihilated within the first few seconds of the surprise engagement. They had been patrolling the outer fringes of the Cadian Sector for the past two weeks, far enough away from the Eye of Terror that inactivity and boredom had given way to complacency. When a few dozen high yield plasma bombs attached to some tiny space debris at the edge of a small asteroid cluster were first detected, it was already far too late for the squadron. Corsica's Sister frigates 'Trickster' and 'Blue Dawn' were vaporized instantly, and the only thing that saved Kaoka's own ship was the quick maneuvering of the pilot team seated in front of him.

Out of the Asteroid field had come a lone 'Iconoclast' destroyer, and from the markings on the hull that were painful to even view through a pict-plate, it was clearly a chaos vessel. It had full burned towards the relatively undamaged Corsica and fired volley after volley of armour breaking missiles and turbo light shells directly into it's rear, crippling most of it's systems in short order. Kaoka would have turned his ship around to fight immediately to avenge his fallen comrades had the targeting systems of nearly all his weapons not been fried by the plasma detonation backwash. There was nothing he could do to protect his crew now but run, and hope for help in the form of a friendly ship or some Emperor-blessed Miracle. He was not hopeful of either.

'Barnes! I want an update on the Navigator now! Is she too injured to jump?'

'No Sir!' Second lieutenant Barnes yelled back from his station to the left of the captain, glancing up only momentarily before bringing his attention to the scrolling message coming from the attendant's to the ship's Navigator. 'She's alive but hurt. They estimate emergency jump to warp space in 30 seconds Sir!'

'Good!' Captain Kaoka snarled as another salvo rocked the ship. It felt like his bones were gradually being shaken loose from their sockets. 'All hands! prepare for warp jump!'

The next 30 seconds took an eternity. Kaoka stared helplessly at the damage readout plate to the right of his head. Shields were down and had been for the last 20 minutes, and all it would take was one more solid hit to the main quarters to potentially rip the 'Corsica' in too. He clenched his Jaw tighter and tighter as the timer slowly clicked to zero, interspersed by the occasional jolt as an errant shell from the Emperor-Cursed chaos vessel zinged off the hull.

'Jump!' he all but screamed into the intercom when the timer finally clicked down to nothing. The ship seemed to lurch forward and slow down all at the same time, the whining shrill of the alarm fading into muted slow motion as if he was hearing it from under water. The Prow viewer plate showed a swirling purple miasma, converting the chaotic swirl of the warp into something viewable that would not demolish his mind, growing rapidly to envelope his tiny ship and drag it into the warp. The flashing read lights of the bridge seemed to fade and dim as they were pulled inexorably into what could only be described as a dubious safe haven.

'Sir!' Shouted Barnes, his voice coming in low and throbbing through the distortion of the jump transition. 'Sir!... The Gellar field is down! We're un-shielded!'

Captain Kaoka felt his heart seize in his chest, all blood draining from his extremities. The Gellar field was tied to the warp engines themselves, and they should not have been able to make the jump without them being operational. He had heard many tales of Gellar Fields failing Imperial ships whilst in the warp, the only protection the confined mortals aboard had against the untold nightmare horrors of the Demons that lived there. He had never heard of a single ship surviving a trip through the Warp without the field being operational for more than a few seconds, and what awaited him and his crew here in this non-reality was a fate far worse than death. They had been enveloped by the warp for a scant few seconds, but he could already feel the predatory closeness of 'things' out there in the dark, noticing an easy meal for the very first time. He had but one choice.

'Drop out of warp now!' He shouted down his comms head-set to the Navigator's chamber's, hoping to the Emperor his crew would respond in time. His only chance was with the ship's only navigator, a relatively untested woman by the name of Jella. As the ship's only trained and sanctioned psychic navigator, she alone could pilot the ship in and out of the warp, and he didn't want to think what stresses this hopping from one plane of reality to the next and back again would have on her. Either way he was out of options. They would rejoin the Materium in the next few seconds and hopefully far enough away from the Chaos Destroyer, or they would all die, in the worst imaginable way, consumed and tortured eternally by thirsting demons. He shuddered coldly at the thought.

He felt more than heard the ear shattering scream come from the intercom from the Navigator. He knew the sounds a dying person made very well by this time in his career, and as he felt the ship slip back into normal space he understood the Navigator had given her last breath to save the crew. Her mind must have been shredded from the stresses he demanded of her.

He barely had time to send a prayer to the Emperor for her soul when the Prow Vision plate cleared. It showed normal space, not the swirling, chaotic nightmare realm they had been in for only a few terrifying seconds. Stars, lots of stars, and a single asteroid that they were heading directly towards. It filled the screen.

There were no time for screams. No time for maneuvers. No time to curse the irony of being delivered from one danger into another, and then into another. Captain Kaoka only had time to close his eyes before they hit and he was smashed to bloody destruction by a collapsing support beam.

The Corsica hit the asteroid, which was nearly half the size of the ship itself, head on. The only thing that saved it from complete destruction was that the velocity was severely slowed from the recent jump out of the warp. The prow crumpled slightly and the ship bounced off, spinning slowly but gracelessly end over end into the void. The ship's lights went out the instant that 97% of the crew also expired. Several hull breaches vented thousands into space, while internal flash fires incinerated countless more. The pure trauma of hitting such a solid, immovable object pulped most of the rest of the survivors as they were crushed under bulkheads, between solid walls and heavy machinery, or just flung so hard that they broke their necks when they collided with whatever solid object or person stopped their flight with blunt finality.

Emergency systems kicked in all too late, securing hull breaches and firing off emergency lighting around the ship, illuminating mostly the dead or the dying. The Corsica turned end over end into space, followed by a glittering trail of expelled bodies and equipment. For those who survived this ordeal, their test had only just begun........
Over to you! Let's get creating some characters people! Remember, don't continue the story yet, but get thinking up some ideas by all means!
Last edited by Jarrid on 04 May 2016, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

Owl
Community Moderator

Re: Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Postby Owl » 03 May 2016, 01:09

Name, rank and role: UNK13 (Mita), Adept Minoris: Divisio Astrologicus
Description:
Average height of 5' 10''; robes cover most of his hunched and augmented body. His face is obscured from view by an array of pipes, wires and metal; clusters of grey and blue lights glow from beneath his crimson cowl where his eyes should be.
Personality and brief history:
Mita was born on an isolated Agri-World, and spent his first few decades believing that he would tend the hereditary farm like his ancestors before him. But a scourge fell on the world's crops, decimating the population and poisoning the soil with a wispy network of purple fungus; the decision was made by the Adeptus Ministorum that the planet would be abandoned until a solution could be found. Mita and his family were resettled on Hive World Jannus, where they lived moderately secure lives in one of the larger territories of the sprawling underhives. But like most of the resettled population, Mita missed the wide-open sky of his homeworld (a precious commodity in the subterranean underhive), and in desperation Mita pledged his service to the Machine Cult, who's agents were rumored to be able to leave the planet at will. There, his desire to see the stars became an obsession, and upon reaching the rank of Adept Minoris, Mita (now known as UNK13) officialy joined the Divisio Astrologicus. He was charged with his first task: board the 'Corsica' and provide badly-needed updates of the region's navigation charts. Generally good natured, but is taciturn and if left alone can become extremely claustrophobic in the confines of the 'Corsica's' narrower corridors.

Equipment:

1.Volkite Serpenta [Pistol] (That's right, I said Volkite Serpenta. The Tech Monastery on Janus uses its small store of these rare and unique weapons to mark its envoys and agents. To explain what a Volkite weapon is, imagine a heat ray like those used by the aliens in War of the Worlds.)
2.Partial Subdermal Armor
3. Augmented Eyes (While not a standard pattern, they are unremarkable).
4. Augmented Arms and Legs, where the arms are only partially replaced, but the legs are entirely mechanical.
5. Mechadendrite Implants (the Jannus Pattern Mechadendrite system abandons the harness system, instead attaching the mechadendrites to permanent implant fixtures in the Tech Priest's body. This set-up allows for slightly increased mechadendrite responsiveness, but at the cost of greater complexity of the repair process. The mechadendrites are outfitted with the standard mono-drills and fusion torch, but UNK13's specific mechadendrites have an unusually high number of integration spikes. This allows him to connect with a wide variety of sensors and those of greater complexity in order to fulfill his work in the Divisio Astrologicus.)

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 03 May 2016, 01:35

Name: Karnak Maeor
Role: Servant of the Machine God in the Enginarium Section
Description:
Karnak is quite tall, 6'3", though it is uncertain if that is his natural height. His face is relatively human, but possessing of a pair of very high quality cybernetic eyes with numerous built-in functions designed around working with the Plasma Generators of the Corsica. He is a conservative man devoted to the care of the machines, and fairly practical about it. His implants and equipment are all almost all related to the service of the Plasma Reactors (From the outside), the Servo-Harness necessary for the complex work. His eyes and Augur implant given to him to find, and see, to faults with the machine, the subskin armour and gunskull help him protect the reactors in case of boarding.

But Karnak is also unlike many of the Adeptus Mechanicus, feeling that it is important to cultivate relationships with the more human crew as well, and has been seen now and again engaged in card games with those human crew who weren't entirely put off by a Techpriest of the Adeptus Mechanicus, his wry sense of humour actually being a sense of humour not just mathematical jokes the Mechanicus would understand.

Equipment:
Perinetus-Pattern Servo-Harness (Includes Manipulator Mechadendrite, Utility Mechadendrite, Combi-Tool, Fyceline Torch and Plasma Cutter. *The Torch can be used as a flamer, the Cutter can be used as an improvised plasma pistol at ranges up to 10 metres* also serves as a zero-g manouvering pack.)
Best-Quality Cybernetic Eyes.
Augur Array Implant
Subskin Armour
Illuminator Servo-Skull, Gun-Skull with Bolt-Pistol

Puchert
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Puchert » 03 May 2016, 02:34

Name: Akon "Iron grip" Drammer
Rank: Former Platoon Sergeant - now serving as ship security guard
Bodyfeatures: Small (1,75) but quite some powerful shoulders, thanks to the years in the guard, middle long hear, bound together to a tail & a beard on his (you know what? imagine the guy from vikings and you have it pretty much! I dont want to post a picture of me now in a public forum, but you get the idea)
Also a tribal tatoo from his chest, over his shoulder - to the side of his neck

Description:

Not much is known about the childhood of Sergeant Drammer, just that he joined the Astra Militarum go get away from his life as a makropole youngster. From what planet? Not many know, because no one never really asked, the Emperor needs man in arms, from where they come doesnt matter....
The Military service was "on spot" for this young man, giving him a chance to use his agression and kombat skills he had to learn to survive in a makropole underhive. After several years, climbing the ranks constantly, he found himself in a battle against orks on a barbarian world on the edge of the pacificus sector. A nearby chimera was the target of a bombsquig, the following explosion ripped of the left underarm of the sergeant. broken in body, but not in spirit, he was able to gather the weapons he needed to fight his way back into the frontline, where he was found by forces of the local PDF hours later.

His Prothese was made of good quality & he used all his credits to make sure he would get a mechanic underarm that would allow him to punch a hole in the face of that ork who released that squig on him.
HOWEVER!
The fact that he used weapons & lasbatteries from the battlefield & took and left what he doesnt needed behind to survive had his costs, because the rules are strict in the Guard & his Platoon Commisar, the one fatherfigure akon had in his life took that instance serious:

I quote from the "Imperial Infantrymans handbook":

He dissobeyed half a dozen rules in order to survive. His argument that it wasnt his attempt to waste munition, but that it is simply not so easy to aim at a target when your left arm is missing - wasnt the best argument in the ears of his commisar. Crushed that he led the one man down he looked up to, he agreed to whatever penalty it take to wash his hands clean of the shame he had brought to himself.

So Akon "Iron grip - as he is called now thanks to his prothese" Drammer had to serve 3 years in the imperial navy as security staff. His duty 3 weeks from beeing complete, as his ship had that accident...

But as long as he has a packet of glimmsticks to smoke, his old but trustfull shotgun and a target in sight - he is ready to go! Whatever costs that explosion he just experienced, Akon would make sure that he would not fail in his mission to protect the crew of this ship from harm. He want to return to the guard & nothing will stop him from arriving that goal. He grapped his Handbook and walked into the smoke filled belly of the Corsica.
This time he would go by the rules..... strickt by the rules, his commisar will be proud of him...
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!
We are the Death Korps of Krieg & we will hold the line!!"

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 03 May 2016, 07:27

Great characters so far guys! Here's a bit more setting information to help you picture the ship and it's environs.

'Sword' Class Heavy Frigate, 'Corsica'

Crew Compliment: 24,453
Length: 1.6km (roughly 1 mile)
Armament: 8 Light beam turrets (4 per side), 1 Light beam turrets on top of hull, 8 rapid fire laser defense batteries (Anti-interceptor). Compliment of 150 anti-ship seeding mines.

Hangar: Small utility hangar/cargo storage. Contains 2 unarmed Arvus Lighters.

inside the Corsica....

Lt.Hargrove

Postby Lt.Hargrove » 03 May 2016, 19:48

Can somebody who has next to no knowledge of 40k get into this without blowing immersion too much?

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 03 May 2016, 22:09

UlyssesASL wrote:I really want to be a master gunner of some sort, in charge of firing/maintaining the weapon. Can somebody tell me how in weapon control implemented in imperium? Is it required for master gunner to have some kind of implant in order to link with weapons?

This is an image for a larger ships Macrobatteries, and this one has primarily laser batteries, but it gives you a slight idea. The Gunners are often augmented but I don't think it's required.

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 03 May 2016, 22:30

Lt.Hargrove wrote:Can somebody who has next to no knowledge of 40k get into this without blowing immersion too much?

Hi guys. It's absolutely fine for you to join in the RP with no real knowledge of 40k. After all, this is the kind of thing that teaches you stuff about the setting. I'm no expert either, as someone has already pointed out a slight technical fault with my prologue in terms of lore, but let's leave it in there for the 40k geeks to spot!

The story, without giving too much away, will not need much 40k knowledge at all to be able to play. If you've seen any sci fi/space horror films at all, you'll get the gist of the story and be able to play along no problem. If in doubt, just play some poor grunt soldier who was dragged from some agri-world and thrust into the Navy with no technical knowledge of the outside world at all. In the 40k universe this happens all too often, so don't feel like you need to write about things you don't understand, or indeed do write about things like you truly don't understand them! For example, if I saw Karnak (a character posted above) without having met an augmented person before, I would be a little bit mystified by him and would also totally sh** bricks.

The below link will tell you a bit about the Imperium and the military roles within it. It's a short read and will give you enough background to get a feel for a character you may want to play, As well, male and female alike have roles in the military. At least the future isn't sexist! (except for space marines).

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperium

Keep the characters coming guys!

Puchert
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Puchert » 03 May 2016, 22:41

UlyssesASL wrote:I really want to be a master gunner of some sort, in charge of firing/maintaining the weapon. Can somebody tell me how in weapon control implemented in imperium? Is it required for master gunner to have some kind of implant in order to link with weapons?

actuall the weapons are armed & controlled quite ..... crude

Live in the imperial navy is not a easy one
"We fight & we die in the name of the Emperor. This is how its always have been - and ever will be!
We are the Death Korps of Krieg & we will hold the line!!"

Lord-Cptn. Patilludo

Postby Lord-Cptn. Patilludo » 03 May 2016, 23:09

Name: Vladimir Vladimirovich Nitopov
Role: Senior Armsman in charge of squad of multipurpose armsmen aboard the “Corsica”
Description:
Physically unremarkable, besides its grizzled and unkempt appearance and of relatively short and stocky build. He sports a bionic arm and hand, of crude almost amateurish construction, but don’t be fooled, it is quite capable of heavy blows, throwing things far and crushing xenos, heretic and seditious skulls with ease.
Vladimir V. Nitopov humble origins and ultimate fate lies intertwined with that of his former homeworld of Stalinvast. In his former life he was a Schola Progenium Commissar attached to the now defunct Stalinvast Grenadiers 4th Mechanized Platoon where he fought valiantly and with great zeal many a battles against a Genestealer infestation that ultimate contributed to Stalinvast downfall.
He became bitter and resentful after the Inquisition ordered the Exterminatus against his homeworld, but not because he care the least about its hive worlds or any attachment to its inhabitants, but because of all the sacrifice his fellow guardsman endure fighting the infestation, street to street, hand to hand, and all for naught, but for their work undone in a shift stroke of virus bombing, he felt betrayed as he saw the bulk of his Regiment literally disintegrated in the firestorm that turned the surface of Stalinvast to molten rocks and twisted metal of its once grandiose hive cities.
Vladimir and the handful of guardsman that survived form his squad were off world that eventful day, for they were pressganged into the Navy several days before, so they witnessed the destruction of Stalinvast from orbit, impotent, and wishing they shared the fate of their fellow men, for that was their duty to the Emperor, but His Will, had other plans…
To this day he harbors a deep resentment, perhaps even deep hatred, of all Inquisitors .

Equipment:
Avtomat Kuznetzov-47 Autogun
20-gauge Shotgun-Vostroyan Pattern
Crude electro-hydraulic Bionic Arm and hand
Heavy Green Trench-coat
“Hero of Stalinvast” Medal
Schola Progenium Commissar Kepi and Insignia

Return to “Stories and Lore”