Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Lt.Hargrove

Re: Roleplay: The Last Corsican

Postby Lt.Hargrove » 23 May 2016, 17:26

More people RIPing in pepperones would be a D I S A S T E R

Ghostrider93
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Ghostrider93 » 23 May 2016, 18:28

Well, I'm still here

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 23 May 2016, 22:20

And i'm still here obviously.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 24 May 2016, 03:55

UNK13 plodded, or rather, waddled down the winding passages of the Engines section in his bulbous vac-suit. While the rounded features of the suit made it perfect for surviving either the vacuum or the occasional over-pressure, the Techpriest wished dearly that he could manage more than a casual walking pace. But taking it off would be suicide in the furnace like depths of the ship, so UNK13 kept trodding along with a growing sense of frustration.

His destination was the fusion couplings that connected the generator's vast reserves of plasma to the 'Corsica's' drive system. If those could be repaired, UNK13 could hopefully redirect the plasma around any damaged lines between the generator and the thrusters. He finally emerged from the cloying darkness of the maintenance hallways, but not into the Engine Feed Control Room; before UNK13 were a few dozen maintenance servitors, locked away in sealed, transparent chambers. The observation windows showed a mess of broken limbs and pooled fluids in most of the chambers, and dull red lights only shone through a few dirty portals.

But one chamber, the only one UNK13 cared about as he rapidly waddled towards its control terminal, looked like it's contents were intact. Above its large pressure door read "Servitors Environmentus Extremus," and UNK13 grinned in grim satisfaction as the cogitator's machine spirit recognized his authority; he disconnected his mechadendrites from the input jacks and walked to the heavy plas-steel door, which was now opening with a grind of old and un-oiled motors. A blast of steam escaped the door as it cracked open, and slowly five hulking, wide, figures bathed in crimson light rolled out of the storage chamber. Each one of the specially manufactured servitors was colossal: measuring 9 feet tall and five feet wide, they were covered in heavy plate armor, insulation, and holy inscriptions, and their massive hydraulic claws and tracks made them seem more suited for a war panoply than heavy maintenance.

"Authority Recognised. Direct us, Techpriest UNK13," droned out the lead servitor in a low, bassy voice, his glowing vision slit narrowing on the Techpriest he dwarfed.

UNK13 had never been happier to hear the voice of a servitor. "The ship has suffered critical damage. You are to assist me in repairing the wound of this vessel, and drive away the maddened crew men that will try and stop us." UNK13 was going to leave his orders at that, but his intuition made him add a final order, "If one of your members becomes unresponsive or hostile towards my person or the others, kill him."

The massive amalgamation of flesh and machine paused only briefly before responding in the affirmative. The group left through the larger cargo pathways that lead to the Engine Control room and its adjoining fusion coupler equipment. They traveled in combat formation, the servitors encircling the techpriest in a protective pentagram formation that UNK13 thought was oddly fitting considering their circumstances. They arrived at Engine Control to find it mostly intact, completely devoid of even corpses due to the incredible heat this room in particular had been exposed to.

"Begin realignment of the coupling manifolds, and I will rouse the primary cogitator's machine spirit. But Sevitor Four, guard me as I attend to the ritual," UNK13 said as he clumsily walked up the ramp to the rooms elevated platform. This process was going to be a massive pain in his metallic arse, but it had to be done. Before jacking in and delving into the electrical systems of the ship, he eyed the timer he had programmed to indicate when the temperature would be safe to take his Vac-suit off; or more to the point, when the Once-Crewmen would start crawling out of the wood work. "40 minutes," he thought to himself. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than nothing.

Owl
Community Moderator

Postby Owl » 24 May 2016, 03:56

Sorry for the long wait everybody.

Samoth87

Postby Samoth87 » 24 May 2016, 09:48

Greetings mates...i'm back.It seems i won't make it in time.GM if you feel generous i'll be able to post some time this evening...
Once more into the fray...

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 24 May 2016, 14:27

Samoth87 wrote:Greetings mates...i'm back.It seems i won't make it in time.GM if you feel generous i'll be able to post some time this evening...

I'll forego the summary Character executions then for a little while! I'll give you all till tomorrow evening then chaps, then I'll start the next chapter.

If anyone wants to get the group outside the hull to activate the breakers and/or get the generator running, please do that. Don't go any further than that though: Leave the guys on the hull in jeopardy and keep it dangerous down in the generator decks...

Samoth87

Postby Samoth87 » 25 May 2016, 09:38

Pff...that was close lads.By the time we reached Starboard Corridor 12, them runners had become weirder with all those tentacles and the extra pair of hands and all the kinds of mismatch sagginess you can imagine.
Commisar Shedler fell and Terra be damned he fell well, not allowing any of those things to make him a meal...we lost a capable soldier but at least we regrouped with the rest of the team.
Lt.Barnes with the help of the Enginseers assessed the situation and decided that in order to start the generators we should split again and his team which i had the misfortune to be part of, would have to venture out into the void and turn some blasted breakers manually.
Out...into the endless space...the thought lads made my nerves twitch like a slaught banger.At least out there we would be safe from that craziness that tried for the better half of our wild run to see how our innards look like...so lads i gave it a go, i wore one of those voidsuits with their internal vox-links and the magboots and all that stuff and i got out of the ship with the others to enjoy the spectacle...and Emperor's Throne what a spectacle that was...it filled me with unimaginable dread but at the same time it was serene...and most importantly...no runners...i thought...
But that was not the case lads and do you know why...?
Because those EMPEROR'S TIT SUCKERS OF A SAGGY EXAMPLE SORRY WANGAS decided to infest with their weirdness the whole damn external hull of the ship and they were between us and the blasted breakers...serenity my arse..!
They were using whatever grasp they could to propell themselves towards our necks.I used so many times my las pistol that i was sure i would run out of battery.There were times lads i had to turn my magboots off and float away from an incoming threat only to turn them on back in time to avoid another.
It was a mess...the vox-link was flooding my ears with orders and warnings...for Throne's sake Jeb...i told you the yellow buttons mate...o frag...that kid is going to have himself killed...
Vladimir seemed to fare better with well placed las shots to deny them any grasp...many of those things lost their footing and floated aimlessly away...
The Mechanicus fella, Keir had the upper hand in void combat and he was advancing steadily with his Selenite Pattern Voidsuit, a precious STC as he proclaimed, whatever an STC stands for...i didn't have the time to ask.
With Lt.Barnes on the front urging us ahead we managed to get close to the breakers...so when i saw them i knew that we were doomed.We were only five men against a horde of monsters and that thing needed at least three to be activated manually...
- "Oi, Sarg....i really hope that this mech arm of yours is of some use or we're dead meat..."
It was either Sergeant Vladimir's bionic arm and Enginseer Keir's some kind of trick to give us an edge or an inevitable, painful death...
Frag...if only i could smoke one last time...
Once more into the fray...

Jarrid

Postby Jarrid » 25 May 2016, 16:00

Chapter 5: Uninvited Guests

"Push dammit!" barnes shouted, his labored breath starting to steam up the inside of his helmet.

"We are pushing! What the piss do you think I'm doing! Sir!" Keir Shouted back at him, punctuating each sentence with another grunt as he pushed on the handle one more time.

Brandock and Kermin had together managed to push down the first breaker in relatively short time, and had now pulled out their las pistols to join Vladimir to provide covering fire. The Lieutenant and the Engineer couldn't get theirs to budge at all, and Barnes was starting to suspect even this fail-safe was damaged somehow, somewhere they couldn't see. There was no room for more than two people per handle, so the two men had to do it alone.

He glanced up for a moment, watching the silent tableau of the three men blasting away at the undead creatures clawing towards them. They were doing a good job, but the main bulk were getting closer and closer now, and unlike before they were a stationary target. With no ability to outrun and keep the monsters at bay, they would be overrun in no time at all.

Barnes felt his stomach twist and turn under his suit, right where he had been partly impaled when the ship crashed. He was certain the staples had torn and was even more sure the painkillers were beginning to wear off. He held back an urge to vomit as the dull, throbbing pain from his belly threatened to overwhelm him completely. Out of nowhere, he suddenly felt a surge of energy flowing through his arms, feeding off the pain in some way. In that instance he knew with no uncertainty he now had the strength to push down the breaker, and didn't spare a moment to question why that was.

"Three, two, one" he breathed at Keir, through gritted teeth.

With one last effort they both pushed down on the handle, which at first resisted under their hands and then with a shudder dropped down. If it had been able to make a noise in space, he imagined it would have been a titanic metallic grinding sound as they forced through with brute strength whatever was blocking it.

"Sir!" Akon's distant sounding voice came fuzzily through his earpiece "It's worked! Karnak is starting the generator running!"

Barnes had barely caught his breath before he was about to reply. Just then felt a vice like clamp around his ankle and looked down to see one of the creatures had managed to sneak up past the front line and crawl directly over to him. It was trying to gnaw into ankle with half a face, and as Barnes went to draw his own pistol out to deal with it he was seized from behind by another one of them. He felt himself being dragged to the floor by the weight of the two creatures, as each one dragged themselves up his body and started pummeling his facs-plate. His hand was caught under one of them, pinned under their clawing, eager limbs. With no way to get to his pistol, he tried punching them but this did next to nothing.

The thing in front of him leant in to bite at his face helmet one more time, and in an instant it didn't have a head. He felt the weight of the unseen assailant on his back suddenly drop off as a second expertly aimed shot from Vladmir took it through the forehead. He was free again, and owed his life to the security officer. He didn't know in that moment that he would never repay that debt.

" Go!" Vladimir shouted to the Lieutenant and the three other men; Keir, Brandock and Kermin who were all pulling the officer on to his feet. "Go!" He shouted again, more emphatically, before he turned for the last time towards the horde surrounding him.

Barnes noticed that the other three men had managed to blast a small gap in the gathering group, leading directly towards an escape hatch to one of the rear cargo decks. Vladimir was too far away to get there before the hole would be filled again by cannibalistic ex crew men, and so in a split second had decided to make himself a big of a target as possible in order for the others to live.

He saw the man unload las shot after las shot at the group surrounding him, each one a perfect head shot. He then disengaged his grave boots and stepped off the hull plate, drifting above the clawing hands and snapping jaws of the dead as they tried to float after him. He fired shot after shot down into the group, each one knocking another creature dead, tumbling away from them. Barnes was being pulled backwards by the group as he saw the undead finally reach him as he flaoted away, his figure buried by a dozen rabid bodies, all intent on breaking open his void suit for a meal.

"Good luck" He said in his thick accent, before his intercom feed was filled with a brief, deafening howling noise, and then nothing. They reached the hatch and Barnes was the last to enter, stealing one last look back at the security officer. Vladimir was motionless, hanging above the hull about 15 meters up as if he was dangling from a gibbet. He was surrounded by the dead creatures who had now let go of him, uninterested, his face-plate cracked and smashed, open to the void. His face looked peaceful, as far as that went. The hatch closed in front of him and they were inside.

It took the four men only a few minutes to make their way back to the generator room. A short journey compared to the fifteen minutes of hell they had just endured. He was expecting to find the four men he had left behind elated to meet them, and to have succeeded in activating the ship's energy finally. Instead he was greeted with sombre looks and a sad nod of the head from Mita towards where Adama was crouched on the ground.

He had Security officer Akon in his arms, who was clearly breathing his last. He was still in his void suit, which now sported a dozen wounds and tears all over which were oozing blood. Akon looked to be trying to say something to the junior officer, but all that came up was a trickled of thick red blood. He went quiet, and din't move after that. Akon took a minute before laying him down.

"He saved me" Akon said, clearly suppressing an urge to cry. They had me but he stepped in front".

"Where's Vladimir?" Karnak said in buzzing monotone, stepping up to where Barnes was stood looking down at the scene. Barnes glanced at him. He could tell that he didn't need to say anything else, as the big Enginsee simply nodded sadly and stepped back.

"Mita" Barnes said, snapping out of it. "Mita, I need you to check if the automated beacon was sent"

"Already done sir" The hooded technician stated, indicating the glowing panel in front of him. "beacon and wide range signal sent, all on coded imperial channels. If there's anything friendly in the sector, they should know we are here".

A klaxon sounded in the generator room, sudden and deafening.

"Warning. Proximity Alert. Warning" the voice intoned, repeating it several times before Mita switched it off with with a flick of a control switch. The entire group gathered round as Mita engaged a security camera feed on the external of the ship. In hazy static, back-lit against the system's son, it was there. A frigate class ship heading directly towards them. Only as it neared to within 1 kilometer could the men clearly see the markings on the hull.

The chaos ship had found them. it had come back to finish the job.

"They're not firing" Adama said, glancing at one of the readouts. "They're... sending boarding parties."

Less than 30 sconds later the hull was rocked by several distinct bangs. They didn't want to destroy the ship any more. They wanted to take whoever was left alive. They stared in silent horror at another security feed Mita switched to, halfway down the ship. He recognized it then as the same corridor they had all met up on what seemed like an eternity ago. The bright circle of a cutting beam appeared on one of the hulls and into the corridor trough a haze of white smoke spilled ten heavily armored soldiers, in blood red colored segmented combat Armour toting a variety of heavy las rifles and auto-guns. Barnes knew that a similar scene was being repeated all over the ship, as scores of armed men entered the Corsica and scoured it for survivors.

Barnes then saw another figure emerge out of the white hot hole in the wall, in combat Armour but with no helmet on and covered in elaborate purple robes. One of the dead crewmen stumbled over to him, intent on another meal, but he simply turned his head in its direction and uttered a single word, inaudible as the camera only provided a picture. The creature dropped to the floor at the man's feet, a meat puppet with the strings cut. Mita flicked through the security feeds for the next few seconds and saw that every single one of the ex crew members were now truly dead, whatever was animating them previously cut dead by a single word from the mysterious guest.

Mita flicked the feed back to the camera which had showed the man with the robes enter the ship. When it flicked up, the man was looking directly at the camera, inches from his face. his pale, sallow face was riddled with deep, visible purple veins while his eyes were lidless and black as the void. He spoke into the camera, and inexplicably every man with Barnes him speak, even though they should not be able.

"Good Morning" The thing said, as if looking into the very room they were stood. "i'll be seeing you all soon. The Generator room is not so far away. Barnes witche doff the feed instantly, not feeling as if he were able to look into that face for another second.

"We need to hide" He said.

2 more men down! RIP Akon and Vlad. We now no longer have any security officers left, just the poor non-combat guys. We also no longer have to deal with the reanimated corpses any more. Instead, the ship is now crawling with about 200 heavily armoured and experienced chaos boarding marines, intent on finding us and dragging us, preferably alive, back to their ships for emperor knows what. Remember, don't downplay the enemy soldiers. Each one of them will be on a par or better in combat than each of us, so any sustained combat with them we will be dead. Any more than a few of them on us at any one time will result in one of us getting injured/killed.

Rules:

- For this chapter, all 7 of us will remain as ONE TEAM. No splitting up. This means that when you post, try to progress the story a little and include everyone else in it. Please don't recap, except for briefly if you need to, but tell us what happens next.

- Where we go is up to whoever posts next, and what happens to us I leave up to you, with the usual restrictions of course. The only two places I don't want us to go to are the hangar and the navigator's chamber/area.

In the final words of Vlad, Good Luck!

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 26 May 2016, 05:24

UlyssesASL wrote:wow, chaos space marines? Totally wasn't expecting this to happen. It's really dire now. Emperor protects!

btw, do escort come with priests? Because I guess we really need some now.

I believe he just means naval marines, not Chaos Space Marines :p

Return to “Stories and Lore”