Weapons Lore

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Re: Weapons Lore

Postby Imperator5 » 08 February 2016, 19:14

Avgvst wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:As great as those pictures are, they are fan art and thus I'm not sure how accurate and up to date they are.

GW had not done anything with the property, so "up to date" is not an issue.

Maybe not with the boardgame, but it is a part of Warhammer 40k, which they did do a lot of stuff with.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

scouse22rn

Postby scouse22rn » 08 February 2016, 19:41

Fan Art or No, those shots rock!

For those completely new to W40K then those kinds of art will at least allow the novice an impression of the sheer size of the ordinance they'll be employing.

That can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Keep the pics coming guys.

AVE IMPERATOR!!!
AVE IMPERATOR!!!

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf

Postby Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf » 09 February 2016, 06:33

I found the desciption of the inquisitorial Black Ship in "Ragnar's Claw" by William King very atmospheric, even if his 40k lore isn't that canon.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god is what started this mess in the first place..." Bjorn the Fell-Handed
Purging the bugs you'll never know!

Drakausa

Postby Drakausa » 09 February 2016, 07:45

CALiGeR190 wrote:
Drakausa wrote:Fascinating! I do note, however, that turreted Macros are not on these Imperial ships. It would seem that to aim them you turn the ship and not the cannons. The size of such weapons may make the addition of machinery for turning a turret, as well as the time for any significant rotation, as to why the 40k ships have returned to the old surface navy 'broadside' configuration. This may be why speed, turning rate and maneuvering are of primary importance in battle. It might be that the Macro weapons will have some degree of 'angle of fire', so as to add a bit of flexibility to the ships attack profile. Possibly some sort of 'casemate' design?

The size of the mechanism and immense forces exerted on a platform when a Macro cannon fires (as you are firing Star-Destroyer sized projectiles at a percentage of the speed of light) make it impracticable for anything smaller than a Battleship (which is expected to move) to equip Macro cannons in a turret configuration (which is also why Imperial ships in general are so huge). Although the Emperor class Battleship and some Imperial Monitors and Space stations have Macro and Heavy Macro cannons equipped in turrets.

Drakausa wrote:Also I am getting more interested in the 'loadout' configuration of the individual ships. Are the ships 'locked in' to the original configuration or will we have some leeway, even restricted, in weapons types going into fixed locations? For example, could we sacrifice a Nova Cannon and replace it with an additional Void shield? My fear is that the outward appearance of the ship cannot be materially changed very much, if any, so I have my doubts as to players having much they can change. Upgrades are almost surely applied to performance, not type or looks.

Imperial takes standardization very seriously. Load out changes can only be made by special request of a high Admiral or in times of dire need, and even then their runs the risk of execution or being dropped out of the Navy if the new load out fails to perform.
But performance upgrades (like Auspex probes, extended range projectors) and alternate weapons systems of the same weapon class where available on the TT, appear in the Lore, and so are likely to appear in the game.

Drakausa wrote:Finally, looking at the design, I see that each Macro cannon has a Muzzle Shield (with an airlock?). I wonder what type of shields these are (Void or Geller?). Anyway, a beautiful diagram looking like something right out of medieval papyrus production. Nice!

Its the large Adamantine-Ceremite composite structure that juts out of Imperial vessels broadsides and surrounds the barrel of the Macro cannon. It isn't any form of Void or Geller shielding.

Cal, I have to say that these posts in the forum are invaluable. Some of my original boxed set rulebook info is slowly coming back but these player posts are of enormous help, especially the data on particular ships and components like weapons, shields and TT tactics. I watched the YouTube video of a TT game being played and one of the things that struck me into 'remember' mode was the wildly varying results from dice rolling. This function has been taken over by the computer and lets us keep attention on the ships capabilities and tactics. I have mentioned my support for a 'pause' button in the Campaign and Skirmish modes but not in the multi-player. Anything that helps a new player and us very old timers get up to speed. An actual non-toxic forum is truly a blessing!

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 09 February 2016, 15:53

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf wrote:I found the desciption of the inquisitorial Black Ship in "Ragnar's Claw" by William King very atmospheric, even if his 40k lore isn't that canon.

Yeah his books are very old. Though they do hold up better than most of the old books canon-wise. If the GW ones are copyrighted, I'm not sure, but if they are, a moderator can always delete the post.

Anyway, here are some BFG related pictures:
Emperor Battleship:
Armageddon Battlecruiser:
Old retro art
Not canon but very nice:

Old BFG rulebook pictures:
Crews

Arbites

Pursuit

Defiant light cruiser

Battlebarge:

Plasma reactors

Ship scale

Weapons that inspired the earlier post art

Mine belt

Asteroid base

Torpedoes

Techpriests

Chaos raider attacks imperial capital ship

Cruisers and Battleship

Captain

Cruisers

Boarding:

Nova cannon shell

http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Return to “Stories and Lore”