[Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 09:33

Imperator5 wrote:There have been multiple ship scales mentioned in the background material.

Escorts: 1km to 3km (one time 20-30km)
Light Cruisers (most likely light cruiser too): 3-4,5 km
(Battle) Cruisers: 3km, 5km, 6km, 9km
Grand Cruisers: 7km, 13km
Battleships (most likely battlebarge too): 6km, 8km, 16km. (one time smaller than 2km)
Gloriana: 15km, 25km I think.

The not to scale models conform usually to the smaller numbers, the artwork to the bigger numbers, if we accept the Escorts being 1-3km long.


I use Rogue Trader for scaling, as it's a major point of it. But for a particular bit of ludicrousness one of the old Space Marine Battles era stuff (Before BFG even) said a Lunar Class was 20km. (I wish I could remember which one though....)

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Imperator5 » 29 April 2016, 09:36

Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:There have been multiple ship scales mentioned in the background material.

Escorts: 1km to 3km (one time 20-30km)
Light Cruisers (most likely light cruiser too): 3-4,5 km
(Battle) Cruisers: 3km, 5km, 6km, 9km
Grand Cruisers: 7km, 13km
Battleships (most likely battlebarge too): 6km, 8km, 16km. (one time smaller than 2km)
Gloriana: 15km, 25km I think.

The not to scale models conform usually to the smaller numbers, the artwork to the bigger numbers, if we accept the Escorts being 1-3km long.


I use Rogue Trader for scaling, as it's a major point of it. But for a particular bit of ludicrousness one of the old Space Marine Battles era stuff (Before BFG even) said a Lunar Class was 20km. (I wish I could remember which one though....)


Yeah as I said there are some odd ones out there, like the "Hive ship was 2km long, dwarfing even the battleship" one from the Ultramarine book.

I personally use the 1-3km escort, 4km Light/strike cruiser, 9km Cruiser, 13km Grand Cruiser, 16km Battleship one, because it fits very nicely with the artwork.
But the other "acceptable scaling" would be 1km 3km, 5km, 7km, 12km which would be in line with Rogue Trader (I'm guessing for battleships as RT has none that I Know of)
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 10:10

Imperator5 wrote:Yeah as I said there are some odd ones out there, like the "Hive ship was 2km long, dwarfing even the battleship" one from the Ultramarine book.


The one that also had a Nova Cannon shell with a mere 5'000km/s projectile velocity when all other sources are "close to the speed of light"

I personally use the 1-3km escort, 4km Light/strike cruiser, 9km Cruiser, 13km Grand Cruiser, 16km Battleship one, because it fits very nicely with the artwork.
But the other "acceptable scaling" would be 1km 3km, 5km, 7km, 12km which would be in line with Rogue Trader (I'm guessing for battleships as RT has none that I Know of)


As I said, I go with the Rogue Trader one for scaling, but not for the other stats. (The weights are absurdly low for craft of those scales, the acceleration figures are the lowest i've ever seen, the firepower is pitiful etc.)

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Imperator5 » 29 April 2016, 10:11

Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:Yeah as I said there are some odd ones out there, like the "Hive ship was 2km long, dwarfing even the battleship" one from the Ultramarine book.


The one that also had a Nova Cannon shell with a mere 5'000km/s projectile velocity when all other sources are "close to the speed of light"

I personally use the 1-3km escort, 4km Light/strike cruiser, 9km Cruiser, 13km Grand Cruiser, 16km Battleship one, because it fits very nicely with the artwork.
But the other "acceptable scaling" would be 1km 3km, 5km, 7km, 12km which would be in line with Rogue Trader (I'm guessing for battleships as RT has none that I Know of)


As I said, I go with the Rogue Trader one for scaling, but not for the other stats. (The weights are absurdly low for craft of those scales, the acceleration figures are the lowest i've ever seen, the firepower is pitiful etc.)


Yeah I agree. You can go with any list you want as both are semi-canon :) Yeah, most accelerations are around 50%-75% of light speed that I have seen.Also, I heard that physics expert players said that the tonnage and volume of Rogue trader stats would make the warships literally float on water, since their density is extremely low.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 10:14

Imperator5 wrote:Yeah I agree. You can go with any list you want as both are semi-canon :) Yeah, most accelerations are around 50%-75% of light speed that I have seen.Also, I heard that physics expert players said that the tonnage and volume of Rogue trader stats would make the warships literally float on water, since their density is extremely low.


Yeah that's what i've heard as well (though the example I know compared it to aerogel) though Rogue Trader hasn't done too badly for crew complements.

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Imperator5 » 29 April 2016, 10:16

Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:Yeah I agree. You can go with any list you want as both are semi-canon :) Yeah, most accelerations are around 50%-75% of light speed that I have seen.Also, I heard that physics expert players said that the tonnage and volume of Rogue trader stats would make the warships literally float on water, since their density is extremely low.


Yeah that's what i've heard as well (though the example I know compared it to aerogel) though Rogue Trader hasn't done too badly for crew complements.


Crew complements are tricky, since a lot of Imperial vessels can easily be upgraded with automation (the Imperium has the technology, and uses it profusively for SM, Admech and =I= fleets) that would reduce the menial crew size by a great margin.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 10:43

Imperator5 wrote:Crew complements are tricky, since a lot of Imperial vessels can easily be upgraded with automation (the Imperium has the technology, and uses it profusively for SM, Admech and =I= fleets) that would reduce the menial crew size by a great margin.


Aye, the SM use a lot of servitors and Chapter Serfs as well as more advanced automation. The AdMech I suspect still has very large crew complements, but mostly because AdMech ships are mobile laboratories/factories/etc. The Inquisition could be across the spectrum.

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Imperator5 » 29 April 2016, 10:55

Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:Crew complements are tricky, since a lot of Imperial vessels can easily be upgraded with automation (the Imperium has the technology, and uses it profusively for SM, Admech and =I= fleets) that would reduce the menial crew size by a great margin.


Aye, the SM use a lot of servitors and Chapter Serfs as well as more advanced automation. The AdMech I suspect still has very large crew complements, but mostly because AdMech ships are mobile laboratories/factories/etc. The Inquisition could be across the spectrum.


Agreed, all of these factions save SM can also be varied. A Magos may prefer an automated crane loading system, the other giant loading servitors for example.

So there is no reason why different Navy ships can not have better or worse automation, and thus have a very varied crew size.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

User avatar
Kadaeux
Posts: 517
Joined: 05 November 2015, 05:38
Location: NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Kadaeux » 29 April 2016, 10:59

Imperator5 wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:Crew complements are tricky, since a lot of Imperial vessels can easily be upgraded with automation (the Imperium has the technology, and uses it profusively for SM, Admech and =I= fleets) that would reduce the menial crew size by a great margin.


Aye, the SM use a lot of servitors and Chapter Serfs as well as more advanced automation. The AdMech I suspect still has very large crew complements, but mostly because AdMech ships are mobile laboratories/factories/etc. The Inquisition could be across the spectrum.


Agreed, all of these factions save SM can also be varied. A Magos may prefer an automated crane loading system, the other giant loading servitors for example.

So there is no reason why different Navy ships can not have better or worse automation, and thus have a very varied crew size.


Aye, I do think GW could do with a little less Grimdark for Grimdark's sake. In many ways I thought the lore was better in 2nd Edition before they took it way down the Black-Brick road of grim-dark. (If less consistent and the models were consistently pretty terrible :p)

User avatar
Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester
Posts: 3063
Joined: 22 December 2015, 07:46
Contact:

Re: [Just For Fun]: Imperium Battleship Scale vs Real

Postby Imperator5 » 29 April 2016, 11:14

Kadaeux wrote:
Imperator5 wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:
Aye, the SM use a lot of servitors and Chapter Serfs as well as more advanced automation. The AdMech I suspect still has very large crew complements, but mostly because AdMech ships are mobile laboratories/factories/etc. The Inquisition could be across the spectrum.


Agreed, all of these factions save SM can also be varied. A Magos may prefer an automated crane loading system, the other giant loading servitors for example.

So there is no reason why different Navy ships can not have better or worse automation, and thus have a very varied crew size.


Aye, I do think GW could do with a little less Grimdark for Grimdark's sake. In many ways I thought the lore was better in 2nd Edition before they took it way down the Black-Brick road of grim-dark. (If less consistent and the models were consistently pretty terrible :p)


From what I heard, the Grimdark was grimmest during the 3rd edition, thought 1ed was just too silly for any modern consumption outside comedy.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.


Return to “Stories and Lore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LaurenVig and 1 guest