"Wing" things on vessels

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
Ahzek Ahriman

"Wing" things on vessels

Postby Ahzek Ahriman » 25 June 2016, 00:44

I've been wondering for a while:
what are (lore-wise) wing-like structures that most ships possess? What confuses me the most is that on many Imperial ships (like Retribution) they look like legitimate, forward-pointing weapons, which they are not afaik. In fact when I first read about BFG I thought they are lances.

I know that down protruding structure is supposed to be stabilisation systems, upwards superstructure needs no explanation but but I have no idea what those side things are.

I thought that maybe they are retro-engines used for stopping, since ships have big-ass classical rear engines but they can stop in place almost immediately without having even-bigger-ass-engines pointed forward. But on other ships (like Despoiler) they look more normal, not like any sort of engine/brake at all.

Does anyone have lore explanation of those structures?

Cheers
The sentence below is true
Spoiler : :
The sentence above is false

Jarrid

Re: "Wing" things on vessels

Postby Jarrid » 25 June 2016, 06:45

I've wondered this myself. I assume that they are weapons systems, and have been included on the model to be true to the original design of the ships when released for TT. The weapons themselves have probably not been included for balancing purposes.

Take the Orks for example. If you look on some of their ships there are a load of guns which aren't able to fire, while if you follow the fluff the entire ship should be awash with weapon discharges when it fires. I ajust assumed they decided that a handful of fire-able weapons per ship would be easier to balance!

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 25 June 2016, 09:31

They are giant railguns according to some books. So basically macrocannons. Imperials and Orks got them alongside some SM.

I'll try to mod them in.

Chaos also has side-batteries that don't shoot.

The downward portruding I think are Warp Vanes that are somehow tried to warp travel.

The upper "towers" are sensors I think.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

Admiral Gnyrll

Postby Admiral Gnyrll » 25 June 2016, 10:09

Always thought them as weapons but now that you mention I've not come across a situation where they've been fired in lore. (what little I have read on them).
The barrels strike me as something like the lances of the planet killer.

Perhaps the technology required to make them function has been lost and the useless barrels serve as a relic put in place to please the machine spirit?

Regarding lore and technicality of the ships, what are some good books about the IN ships? Novels, stories etc set in BFG times.

Iam Alpharius
Tindalos Team

Postby Iam Alpharius » 25 June 2016, 11:46

This artwork suggest they are guns :

This one doesn't :

Sadly the rule book doesn't count them as weapon even thought the mini seem to indicate that they are.
So in the end i wonder if anyone actually know for sure ;).
I am not Alpharius.

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 25 June 2016, 12:09

They're essentially a forward firing macrobattery. The reason you can't use them is because giving Imperial Navy ships a decent forward takes away from the classical broadside style that they're generally meant to employ. This obviously carried over from the table top to this game, where adding another set of modules would of added a lot more work for the devs

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 25 June 2016, 12:28

Iam Alpharius wrote:This artwork suggest they are guns :

This one doesn't :

Sadly the rule book doesn't count them as weapon even thought the mini seem to indicate that they are.
So in the end i wonder if anyone actually know for sure ;).

I would love to make them fire again in the mod!

One of the Horus heresy books mentions them as giant railguns, ?2 or 20? km long in case of the Vengeful Spirit. I'm not sure which one or I would give title and page number to validate the source.

Here are two pictures where they show it is the same "style" of warship as the 40k era ones

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

CALiGeR190
Community Moderator

Postby CALiGeR190 » 25 June 2016, 14:32

They are weapons systems.
Depending on era and pattern of construction it may vary, also different classes seem to have different wing armaments, but they are weapon systems.
In the case of the Gloriana-Class the Vengeful Spirit they where 20KM long rail guns, effectively super-massive Macro Cannons, while evidence suggests the Dauntless 'wings' are lances of a similar type to the prow lance.

The main reason they are non-functional is basically GW incompetence... and the fact they want to encourage broadside warfare with the Imps. They argue amongst themselves what they should be exactly all the same, so there is no definitive right or wrong answer to the question: although the general consensus (and the theory with the most solid evidence) is that they are weapons of some description.
Where's your Federation now?
-Imperial Navy

Alpha Tester - Getting the game on its feet
Technical Tester - We had to get the balance right somehow
Community Moderator - Purging spammers and maintaining the realm
BFG Wiki Founding Member

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 25 June 2016, 14:41

CALiGeR190 wrote:They are weapons systems.
Depending on era and pattern of construction it may vary, also different classes seem to have different wing armaments, but they are weapon systems.
In the case of the Gloriana-Class the Vengeful Spirit they where 20KM long rail guns, effectively super-massive Macro Cannons, while evidence suggests the Dauntless 'wings' are lances of a similar type to the prow lance.

The main reason they are non-functional is basically GW incompetence... and the fact they want to encourage broadside warfare with the Imps. They argue amongst themselves what they should be exactly all the same, so there is no definitive right or wrong answer to the question: although the general consensus (and the theory with the most solid evidence) is that they are weapons of some description.

Agreed, this is it. They are weapons, macrocannons if I want to make it specific.

As for the warp engine parts idea, not all ork ships and no Chaos ship has them. And they were designed for the Imperium, so we can't say they don't have them because they use some ritual to open the gate instead of warp engines.

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 25 June 2016, 15:29

Drakki wrote:How about cyclonic torpedo launchers :P?

Heh those are usually done from regular launchers, and usually are not carried on vessels that are not Fleet flagships or SM or =I= vessels. So than only battleships would have it :) .

The fact why they are not used in ship to ship combat is that the propulsion part is smaller, the warhead part much larger, and thus they are so slow that they make a specially easy target for enemies to intercept, and are too rare to waste in such a manner.

As the Ilyaden (or anothe Eldar?) suppelement shows, they are a good thing to shoot at Craftworlds though! :D

Return to “Stories and Lore”